PDA

View Full Version : Charging for the teaching of people

Sa'ad As-Sunni
07-22-2007, 12:42 PM
As-Salamu 'Alaykum wa rahmatullah

Brothers, i have been researching the issue of charging people for knowledge and have found contradictions in the madhahib about this issue.

We find that the early 'ulema of the madhahib declared it haram to charge for knowledge. Yet some late comers did say it was permissible. Although i have not found anyone who says that charging for wajib 'ilm is permissible, yet they do say that charging for extra non fardh 'ilm is ok.

Insha Allaah i will give you an example and then i hope one of the brothers can help me understand a definite ruling on this matter.

A group of brothers arrange a talk on how to pray and make wudhu. They charge people x amount of money to come to the talk. They make a profit and most goes to advertising and hiring the venue.

Is this permissible?, and if so what are the shuroot?

Jazakum Allahu khayran.

Haitham Hamdan
07-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Waalykum assalam warahmatullah brother Sa’ad.

Here are a few points:

1) First we have the Hadeeth: Bukhari narrated on the authority of ibn ‘Abbaass: Some of the companions of the Prophet passed by some people staying at a place where there was water, and one of those people had been stung by a scorpion. A man from those staying near the water, came and said to the companions of the Prophet, "Is there anyone among you who can do Ruqya as near the water there is a person who has been stung by a scorpion." So one of the Prophet's companions went to him and recited Surat-al-Fatiha for a sheep as his fees. The patient got cured and the man brought the sheep to his companions who disliked that and said, "You have taken wages for reciting Allah's Book." When they arrived at Medina, they said, ' O Allah's Apostle! (This person) has taken wages for reciting Allah's Book" On that Allah's Apostle said, "You are most entitled to take wages for doing a Ruqya with Allah's Book."

2) Not all early scholars were of the opinion that it is not permissible to charge for knowledge. Imam Ahmad was strict on this issue. Other scholars felt it was permissible.

3) It has been the action of the scholars for the past hundreds of years to take money in return for teaching.

4) If a scholar is dedicated full time for teaching, it only makes sense that he charges for his teaching. Otherwise, how will he survive.

Haitham Hamdan
07-23-2007, 12:57 AM
I live in a European country. I started giving private lessons in the Arabic language to the neighbors’ children, and I am paid for this. Will I be rewarded by Allah although I am taking money for what I teach?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with accepting payment for teaching Arabic, and there is nothing wrong with accepting it for teaching Qur’aan, and that does not mean that one will not be rewarded for it, if he does the task well and intends thereby to benefit the Muslims and bring them closer to the language of their Prophet and their Qur’aan.

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked: What is the ruling on accepting payment for teaching young children to memorize Qur’aan? If you say that it is permissible, will the teacher be rewarded by Allaah after taking a monthly salary?

They replied: Learning and teaching the Holy Qur’aan is one of the best means of drawing closer to Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, if one’s intention is sound. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) encouraged learning and teaching Qur’aan as he said: “The best of you is the one who learns the Qur’aan and teaches it.” Accepting payment for teaching Qur’aan does not deprive the Qur’aan teacher of reward from Allaah if his intention is sincere. And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.
End quote.
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (15/99).
And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=95781&ln=eng

Haitham Hamdan
07-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Is it right to take/accept money for teaching Quran?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.
The Standing Committee was asked about whether it is permissible to accept payment for teaching Qur’aan. They replied:
Yes, it is permissible to accept payment for teaching Qur’aan according to the more correct of the two scholarly views, because of the general meaning of the hadeeth:
“The thing for which you most deserve to take payment is the Book of Allaah,” (narrated by al-Bukhaari), and because there is a real need for that. And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=20100&ln=eng

Sa'ad As-Sunni
07-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Jazaka Allahu khayral jazaa shaykh haythem.

aliyaar
08-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Brothers and Sisters

Someone posted this hadith on another forum

[Sunan Abu-Dawud - Book 23, Hadith 3409]
Narrated Ubaydah ibn as-Samit: I taught some persons of the people of Suffah writing and the Quran. A man of them presented to me a bow. I said: It cannot be reckoned property; may I shoot with it in Allah's path? I must come to the Apostle of Allah (PBUH) and ask him (about it). So I came to him and said : Apostle of Allah (PBUH), one of those whom I have been teaching writing and the Quran has presented me a bow, and as it cannot be reckoned property, may I shoot with it in Allah's path? He said: If you want to have a necklace of fire on you, accept it.

Can anyone explain me this hadith as apperently it means one cannot accpet money for teaching Quran/Islam

W/Salam

seekthetruth
08-18-2009, 10:35 PM
^ Is this authentic?

aliyaar
08-19-2009, 04:37 AM
Brother the reference is given above i.e

[Sunan Abu-Dawud - Book 23, Hadith 3409]

I checked it is present in Abu Dawud

I dont know its authenticity . If its not authentic please anyone confirm it or explain it .

I desperatly need explanation of this hadith also its authenticity .

Jazakallah

Ayman bin khaled
08-19-2009, 06:27 AM
The Hadeeth is weak due the existence of unknown narrator and another who has been questioned by many critics. You can find it as well in Sunan Ibn Majah.

Wallahu A'lam

aliyaar
08-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Brother Ayman Jazakallah for your reply but we cant just declare a hadith weak on forums i mean we have to give some proof for the weaknes of a hadith .

Isnt Ubaydah ibn as-Samit narrator there?

What do u mean by questioned by many critics ?

Please answer in detail if possible

Sorry for asking so many questions .

Jazakallah .