Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splitting of the moon

Assalamu 'alaikum

(I hope Im posting the question in the right section, I do think this falls under aqeedah discussion)

Ill keep this short inshAllah.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) split the moon right? So half the people of the earth had the opportunity to witness it, right? My question (and doubt) is this: how come there are no historical records of this? Or are there? If so which ones?

All I found on the internet was one article from answering christianity but it was way too conspiratory sounding, while the information it provided wasnt nearly convincing enough.

Look you guys can flame me all you want but this doubt is genuine so I think it deserves genuine answers.

wassalaam
    Allah said, "Indeed, I know that which you do not know." [Baqarah, 2:30]

So half the people of the earth had the opportunity to witness it, right?
    Not necessarily akhi, just because it is night time in some parts of the world does not mean that the moon is visible to them all. It might not be visible in some parts, and it might not be a clear sky in other parts. Even if it was visible, would you expect people everywhere to just be staring at the moon all the time?

In addition to that, the incident was reported to us by the companions, so it is historically recorded in our own books of hadith.

Comment

اقْتَرَبَتِ السَّاعَةُ وَانشَقَّ الْقَمَرُ

The Hour has drawn near, and the moon has been cleft asunder (54:1)

Shouldn't that be enough evidence? Would you like historical evidence that Musa (AS) spilt the sea as well?

أحزان قلبي لا تزول - حتى أبشر بالقبول
      و أرى كتابي باليمين - وتقرعيني بالرسول

Comment

Originally posted by Hassan_'Abd_Allah View Post
        The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) split the moon right?
        Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala did (smile)

Comment

Jazakumullahi khayran ikhwaan, but let me assume Devil's Advocate's role for a while (Otherwise I djust have to live suppressing this doubt which is unhealthy to my eeman).

Not necessarily akhi, just because it is night time in some parts of the world does not mean that the moon is visible to them all. It might not be visible in some parts, and it might not be a clear sky in other parts. Even if it was visible, would you expect people everywhere to just be staring at the moon all the time?
          But yakhee, in spite of this, to claim that this amazing thing went unnoticed by so much people, to the extent there are no external historical reference of it, is a bit of stretch isnt it? I mean yeah, skies might be cloudy, and people might not be looking, but think about it: it wasnt just one tiny crack appearing on the moon, it was virtually torn in two, and the two parts went far from each other and then were joined in an instant (according to the wording of the narrations). Even if I trim the number people who had the chance of seeing it to 1000, there would be quite an uproar in history about it, right? Riiight?

In addition to that, the incident was reported to us by the companions, so it is historically recorded in our own books of hadith.
          yeah this is the core of my doubt, I mean such a massive, massive thing occurs and the only mention we find of it is in a part of Arab history only. Isn't this somewhat problematic?

Shouldn't that be enough evidence? Would you like historical evidence that Musa (AS) spilt the sea as well?
          With all due respects akhee, these are two different things:

1. Musa (as)'s splitting the sea happened 4000 years back, and the process of recording history was still at its childhood. As opposed to the current issue of discussion which happened 1400 years back.

2. The splitting of the sea was only visible to the people of Egypt, which narrows down the scope of this being recorded to quite an extent. while the splitting of the moon could be visible to half the world max.

3. Also, we can find reasons for the splitting of the sea not being recorded, the pharaoh to take the chair after the pharaoh of Mose's time wouldnt be happy to record the humiliating punlishment that befell his predecessor. On the other hand, people had no reason/agenda not to record this event of splitting the moon.

So we expect to find mention of this in History, but we don't. Thats my problem/question/doubt/whatever you may call it.

Again, note that Im not merely here to debate, this particular doubt is very painful to me so I just need it clarified, so my intention is to get knowledge so that my heart is in rest.

Comment

Asalaamu alaikum brother,

May I sincerely suggest that we spend more time on fighting the cause of Shaitan's whisperings rather than indulge in the "doubts" that he effects us with? In Islam we have belief and we have proof; and for a physical proof that does not become apparent, then it is not substituted or suspected in place of clear established belief. Nevertheless you may want to note the following:

1. The splitting of the moon occurred after the pagans in Makkah asked the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم to show them a sign. It was an incident that was witnessed by many and the ummah is united on this established fact.

2. Some have written: "The splitting of the moon was demonstrated before a certain gathering who contradicted the Prophet Muhammad in his cause as an evidence of his Prophethood. It happened momentarily at a time of night. Also, there were obstacles which prevented the others from seeing it, such as mist, clouds and time-differences between different parts of the world. Besides, at that time science and civilization were not yet well advanced and not widespread, and, therefore, the observation of the sky was limited."

3. It is suggested that Chakrawati Farmas, King of Malabar in India, witnessed the splitting of the moon.

4. The fact that it is not readily found in the books of non-Muslims or non-Arabs does not mean anything since they already made up their minds of rejecting the Prophethood of Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم

5. I am sure you know of the famous pics of the moon showing its fault line that splits it. They also speak of a 'straight wall' which is actually a "fault line formed from a moonquake in the ancient past". Yet there remains no concrete evidence as to how long it is or what may have caused it. And NASA also remains uncertain of the origins of the long indentations.

6. Annemarie Schimmel (a non-Muslim author of "And Muhammad Is His Messenger: The Veneration of the Prophet in Islamic Piety", University of North Carolina Press, 1985, p.69–70) quotes Qadi Iyaad in support of this miracle as follows:

"It has not been said of any people on the earth that the moon was observed that night such that it could be stated that it was not split. Even if this had been reported from many different places, so that one would have to exclude the possibility that all agreed upon a lie, yet, we would not accept this as proof to the contrary, for the moon is not seen in the same way by different people.... An eclipse is visible in one country but not in the other one; in one place it is total, in the other one only partial."

Clearly there are people from various parts of the world and academic circles who have not rejecting this miracle out of hand. They may give it different terms or allow different interpretations, but this does not impact the belief of a Muslim in the least.

And Allah is the Source of strength.

Comment

Alright, the following link put my heart to quite a bit of ease Alhamdulillah : )

http://www.islamanswers.net/miracles/moon.htm

However they said something which seems kinda weird to me

Prophets work miracles to prove their claim of Prophethood and to convince deniers, not to compel belief. Therefore, every miracle had to be, and was, manifested to convince those who heard the claim of Prophethood. So, if they had been demonstrated in a way that could be seen by the whole world or would compel everyone to believe, this would have been contrary both to the wisdom of the All-Wise and the Divine purpose for creating man with free will, and sending religion, which entails that the ground be prepared for the mind’s acceptance without the power of choice being annulled. If, then, the All-Wise Creator had, because materialist philosophers fancy it so, left the moon split for one or two hours in order that it would be seen by the whole world and recorded in all books of human history, then it would have been no more than other astronomical events, without having been special to the Messengership of Muhammad, upon him be peace and blessings, and an evidence of his Prophethood. Or, it would have been such an obvious miracle that everyone would have felt compelled to believe for there would have been left for the will no way but to accept belief in him. This, in turn, would have resulted in that someone with a coal-like spirit like Abu Jahl would have remained at the same level as someone with a diamond-like spirit like Abu Bakr the Truthful, which means that the purpose of the creation of man with a special function and responsibility and the purpose of sending revelation would have been negated. That is why the miracle of the splitting of the moon was not shown to the whole world to be recorded in all books of human history.
              ...is this true Islamically?

Comment

3. Also, we can find reasons for the splitting of the sea not being recorded, the pharaoh to take the chair after the pharaoh of Mose's time wouldnt be happy to record the humiliating punlishment that befell his predecessor. On the other hand, people had no reason/agenda not to record this event of splitting the moon.
                i think bro there is a flip side to this. "wouldn't be happy to record the humiliating punishment" can be changed to "were happy to record it and DEBUNK it throughly"

this would mean that a hostile witness CLOSE TO the event would be EVIDENCE thaT SOMEThing did happen back then, but we don't even have hostile witnesses.
                the meanings of homographs [words spelled and pronounced alike that have different meanings] are almost always easily determined by the contexts in which they are used

Comment

"It has not been said of any people on the earth that the moon was observed that night such that it could be stated that it was not split. Even if this had been reported from many different places, so that one would have to exclude the possibility that all agreed upon a lie, yet, we would not accept this as proof to the contrary, for the moon is not seen in the same way by different people.... An eclipse is visible in one country but not in the other one; in one place it is total, in the other one only partial."
                  JazakAllahu khayran akhee, I guess that makes sense.

Comment

this would mean that a hostile witness CLOSE TO the event would be EVIDENCE thaT SOMEThing did happen back then, but we don't even have hostile witnesses.
                    Id argue that the splitting of the sea is so obvious and universally-acknowledged a miracle that the hostile witness would have no ground to argue against it, so the only thing he would be left with is to deny it altogether.

Comment

lets go back to the story

i don't know about the different versions of the exodus story, but the one i read said that no foe survived and that the hebrews were the only survivors who disappeared into the wilderness.
                      how would the pagan egyptians explain the disappearance of their man god pharoah and how would they explain the mass exodus of the hebrews? the historical records are silent on this.

quote:
                      Rameses II was the pharaoh of the exodus. Whether he was or not, we know historically that Rameses II led his army to combat the Hittites in a skirmish known as the Battle of Kadesh. Rameses lost. An Egyptian writing of the battle, however, spins the events so that Rameses comes out better than he actually faired. Yet, the so-called Poem of Pentaur describes Rameses bleakly calling to his god for aid during the darkest hour of the battle:

None of my princes are with me. Not one of my generals–not one of my captains of bowmen or chariots. My soldiers have abandoned me–my horsemen have fled–there are none to combat beside me! Where art thou, oh Amen, my father? Hath the father forgotten his son? Behold! have I done aught without thee? Have I not walked in thy ways, and waited on thy words? Have I not built thee temples of enduring stone? Have I not dedicated to thee sacrifices of tens of thousands of oxen, and of every rare and sweet-scented wood? Have I not given thee the whole world in tribute? I call upon thee, oh Amen, my father! I invoke thee! Behold, I am alone, and all the nations of the earth are leagued against me! My foot-soldiers and my chariot-men have abandoned me! I call, and none hear my voice!
                      end quote

like i said before , "wouldn't be happy to record the humiliating punishment" can be changed to "were happy to record it and DEBUNK it throughly"

Official texts could mention a disaster or calamity if it was in the past, had occurred under a king who (according to later Egyptians) wasn't doing his job to uphold Maat or the right order of the universe, or was contrasted with the accomplishment of the king writing in the inscription to correct whatever the situation was. Thus Tutankhamun's Restoration Stela talks about how things were bad under Akhenaten (who isn't named of course) because he abandoned the gods, and Tut was now restoring things to the way they should be. Hatshepsut in her Great Speos Artemidos Inscription talks about repairing things that were (supposedly) in ruins since the Hyksos occupation of northern Egypt. This type of statement is also suspect because it has a strong element of propaganda to reflect well on the current king, so it might overdo the current king's great improvements or the extent of the earlier bad situation that the current king supposedly has to correct.

end quote
                      the meanings of homographs [words spelled and pronounced alike that have different meanings] are almost always easily determined by the contexts in which they are used

Comment

Whats your point yakhee?

Comment

asalaam alaikum warahmatulah wabarakatuh

The incident relating to King Chakrawati Farmas is documented in an old manuscript in the India Office Library, London, which has reference number: Arabic, 2807, 152-173. It was quoted in the book "Muhammad Rasulullah," by M. Hamidullah:
                          "There is a very old tradition in Malabar, South-West Coast of India, that Chakrawati Farmas, one of their kings, had observed the splitting of the moon, the celebrated miracle of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) at Mecca, and learning on inquiry that there was a prediction of the coming of a Messanger of God from Arabia (Detail given bellow), he appointed his son as regent and set out to meet him. He embraced Islam at the hand of the Prophet, and when returning home, at the direction of the Prophet, died at the port of Zafar, Yemen, where the tomb of the "Indian king" was piously visited for many centuries."
                          The old manuscript in the 'India Office Library' contains several other details about King Chakrawati Farmas and his travel[1].

[1] See: "CHAKRAWATI FARMAS King of Malabar India" by Dr. Z. HAQ at Chakrawati Farmas, King of Malabar, India

http://www.islamic-life.com/forums/i...-1419#post5521

Comment

http://wikimapia.org/174843/Cheraman...s-first-Mosque

Comment

Working...
                            X