Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Virtues of The Great Sahabee Muawya Bin Abee Sufyan (رضي الله عنهما)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Virtues of The Great Sahabee Muawya Bin Abee Sufyan (رضي الله عنهما)

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

All praise is due to Allah . We praise him and seek his help and forgiveness . And I bear witness that there is no true god but Allah, alone without any partners . And I bear witness that Muhammad (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) is his servant and messenger .

The reason that makes me write about the virtues of the Sahabee Muawya (رضي الله عنه ) is because every Muslim who has enough Islamic knowledge and knows a foreign language other than Arabic should - at his capacity - introduce the virtues of this great Sahabee to Muslims who can not read Arabic . Because misguided books of Shi'ites and Habashees and other groups that stab the image of this great Sahabee may fall into their hands, and then suspicions around this Sahabee and others may begin to turn in their heads and they may not find writings in their language that answers these suspicions . And in the Islamic religion, Muawya (رضي الله عنه) is a test :

- If you love him, your faith is correct .

- and if you hate him, your faith is incorrect .

Sheikh al-Islam Abed Allah Ibn al-Mubarak (رحمه الله) said : " Muawya among us is a test, who looks towards him in disregard we accuse him of misguided opinion in the Sahabah " .And when a person asked Ibn al-Mubarak who is better, Muawya or Omar Bin Abed al-Aziz ? He answered : " The dust that entered Muawya's nose when he accompanied the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) is better than Omar Bin Abed al-Aziz ! " (البداية والنهاية لابن كثير 11/450)

Rabeaa Bin Nafeaa (رحمه الله) said : " Muawya is the curtain that covers the Sahabah, If a person opens that curtain he will dare on what is behind it " . (البداية والنهاية لابن كثير 11/450)

I will now mention some of the hadiths that speak about the virtues of the Sahabee Muawya (رضي الله عنه) :

1 - Abed ar-Rahman Bin Abee Oumairah (رضي الله عنه) reported that the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) said to Muawya as a du'aa :

" O Allah ! Make him a guider, guiden to the right path, and guide through him " .

( Recorded by Tirmithee 3842, and verified to be authentic by Albani in Silsilat as-Saheehah 1969 )

2 - Al-Aarbad bin Sariyah as-Sulamee (رضي الله عنه) reported that he heard the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) saying as a du'aa :

" O Allah ! Teach Muawya the Book and the Math, and save him from the punishment " .

( explanation :

- Book = Quran .

- Math = because it is needed in ruling .

- Save him from the punishment = for the mistakes that is done during ruling) .

( Recorded by Imam Ahmad 17202, and verified to be authentic by Albani in Silsilat as-Saheehah 3227 )

3 - Umm Haram al-Ansariyah (رضي الله عنها) reported that she heard the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) say :

" The first army of my ummah (nation) that invades tha sea, all there sins are forgiven " .

( Recorded by al-Bukhari 2924 )

Hafez Ibn hajar said in Fateh al-Baree (6-127) : " Muhallab said : In this hadith there is a virtue of Muawya, because he was the first to invade the sea " .

Tabaree reported in his history that Muawya (رضي الله عنه) first invaded the sea in the year 28 h .

4 - Ibn Abbas (رضي الله عنهما) reported that the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) told him :

" Go bring Muawya to Me ", because he wrote down Allah's Revelation (Wahy) for the Prophet .

( Recorded by Imam Ahmad 2651 , and verified to be authentic by Albani in Silsilat as-Saheehah 1-164 )

Ibn Taymiyyah (رحمه الله) said in Majmuaa' al-Fatawah 4-288 : " It is confirmed by many that Muawya was a faithful companion of the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) who wrote down Allah's Revelation, and the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) did not accuse him in his writing of the Revelation . Also, the khalifah Omar Bin al-Khattab (رضي الله عنه) - who was the most experienced in knowing men - appointed Muawya as a ruler on the state of Sham (it includes Lebanon, Syria, Palestine and Jordan) until Omar's death . The khalifah Othman (رضي الله عنه) also kept Muawya in his position during his state, and neither of them accused Muawya in his rule " .

The Uncle of Believers (خال المؤمنين) Muawya (رضي الله عنه) died in Rajab in the year 60 h . He lived for seventy seven years .

Comment

Perfect post! Shukran, wa jazak Allah khayran!
      Abu Rumaysa al-Hanafi

Comment

Sadr-at-Deen Ale ibn Ale ibn Muhammad ibn Ebil-Izz al-Hanafi said:
        وأول ملوك المسلمين معاوية رضي الله عنه ، وهو خير ملوك المسلمين
        "And first king of moslems is Moawiyah ra.gif, and he's best king of moslems".

Source: "Sharhu Tahawiyah" p 482.
        الناشر : المكتب الإسلامي - بيروت
        الطبعة الرابعة ، 1391

Shamsud-Deen Dhahabe said:
        أمير المؤمنين ملك الإسلام
        "Ameeral mumeneen, king of islam".
        Source: "Siyar alamun nubala" 3/120

Ibn Qudama al-Makdese said:
        ومعاوية خال المؤمنين ، وكاتب وحي الله ، أحد خلفاء المسلمين رضي الله عنهم
        "And Moawiya uncle of believers, scribe of Allahs revealation, one of the caliphs of moslems, may Allah be pleased with them".
        Source: "Lumatul itikad" p 31.
        الطبعة : الثانية
        الناشر : وزارة الشؤون الإسلامية والأوقاف والدعوة والإرشاد - المملكة العربية السعودية
        تاريخ النشر : 1420هـ - 2000م

Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal ash-Shaybane said:

أبو بكر وعمر وعثمان وعلي قلت فمعاوية قال لم يكن أحد أحق بالخلافة في زمان علي من علي رضي الله عنه ورحم الله معاوية

"(Caliphs) are Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ale". I (narrator) asked: "What about Moawiyah?". He replied: "No one in the time of Ale had more rights to be caliph than Ale, and may Allah forgive Moawiyah".
        Source: Ibn Athakeer "Tareeh Madinatool Dimashk" 59/138.
        Abu Rumaysa al-Hanafi

Comment

and may Allah forgive Moawiya
          translation should say: Mercy.

Comment

Correction

Yesterday, I made a visit to Sheikh Muhammad al-Jibaly in his parent's house . He graciously made a quick review to my post and gave me some corrections . He also advised me to put the hadiths in arabic . So =

[QUOTE=ABU MUAWYA BYRUTY;13866]

1 - Abed ar-Rahman Bin Abee Oumairah (رضي الله عنه) reported that the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) said to Muawya as a du'aa :

" O Allah ! Make him a guider, guiden to the right path, and guide through him " .

( Recorded by Tirmithee 3842, and verified to be authentic by Albani in Silsilat as-Saheehah 1969 )

Sheikh Muhammad corrected =

" O Allah ! Make him a guide, guided ( to the right path ), and guide ( others ) through him " .

" اللهم اجعله هادياً مهديًّا، واهدِ به "

2 - Al-Aarbad bin Sariyah as-Sulamee (رضي الله عنه) reported that he heard the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) saying as a du'aa :

" O Allah ! Teach Muawya the Book and the Math, and save him from the punishment " .

" O Allah ! Teach Muawya the Book and Math, and protect him from the Punishment " .

"اللهم علّم معاوية الكتاب والحساب ، وقِهِ العذاب

- Save him from the punishment = for the mistakes that is done during ruling) .

- Save him from the Punishment = for the mistakes that is occured during his rule ) .

3 - Umm Haram al-Ansariyah (رضي الله عنها) reported that she heard the Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وسلّم) say :

" The first army of my ummah (nation) that invades tha sea, all there sins are forgiven " .

" The first army of my Ummah ( Nation ) that will invade the sea, all the sins of its soldiers will be forgiven " .

"أول جيش من أمتي يغزون البحر مغفورٌ لهم

Comment

Raising the article ...

Comment

It was narrated that Abu Bakr al-Marwadhi said: I said to Abu ‘Abd-Allaah – Ahmad ibn Hanbal – Who is better, Mu’aawiyah or ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Azeez? He said: Mu’aawiyah is better; we do not compare the companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to anyone. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best of mankind are my generation among whom I was sent.”

Ibn-e-Khildoon said:Mauviyah (ra) was the first Khalifah who prepared First Navy forces of Muslim. And Nabi (saw) had given Basharat of Jannat to First Navy battalion."(Muqadma Ibn-e-Khildoon Pg. 453, Sahih Bukhari Vol. 1 Pg. 410)

2- It was Mauviyah (ra) who first offered Hasan (ra) for "Sulah" so that Civil War, Anarchy and Killing of Muslims by Muslims in the state came to an end. Hasan (ra) accepted this Sulah. (Jama-ul-Fawaid Pg. 843, Sahih Bukhari Vol. 1 Pg. 372-373, Muqadma Ibn-e-Khildoon Pg. 458)

The series of Jihad that was stopped after Martyrdom of Usman (ra), (No Jihad with Kuffar was done in Ali (ra) Era) again started in the Khilafah of Mauviyah (ra). He had did Jihad against ROME 16 times during his Khilafat. (Al Badaya Wannahaya Vol. 8 Pg. 133)

Volumn 004, Book 052, Hadith Number 175

Narated By Khalid bin Madan : That 'Umair bin Al-Aswad Al-Anasi told him that he went to 'Ubada bin As-Samit while he was staying in his house at the sea-shore of Hims with (his wife) Um Haram. 'Umair said. Um Haram informed us that she heard the Prophet saying, "Paradise is granted to the first batch of my followers who will undertake a naval expedition." Um Haram added, I said, 'O Allah's Apostle! Will I be amongst them?' He replied, 'You are amongst them.' The Prophet then said, 'The first army amongst' my followers who will invade Caesar's City will be forgiven their sins.' I asked, 'Will I be one of them, O Allah's Apostle?' He replied in the negative."

Mauviyah (ra) sent this Batch during his Khilafat and made his son Yazeed (ra) Commanding officer. This is the virteousness/ greatness of both Mauviyah (ra) and his son Yazeed (ra). (Ibn-e-Hajr Asaqalni in Fateh Baari Vol. 1 Pg. 410, Ibn-e-Teymiah in Minhaaj Us Sunnah Vol.2 Pg. 252, Ibn-e-Kaseer in Al Badaya Wannahaya Vol. 8 Pg. 58)

The Island of Saqliyah was conquered in the Era of Mauviyah (ra) Khilafat. (Muqadma Ibn-e-Khildoon Pg. 454)

During his Khilafat, all the areas from Sajistan to Kabul were conquered by Muslim Army and the whole country of Saudan comes under the reign of Islamic State.
                (Ibn-e-Hazm in Jawam-e-Seerah Pg. 348, Tareekh ul Khulfa by Sayyuti Pg. 148)

Umer (ra) once said about Mauviyah (ra) due to his good governary during Umer (ra) Era: " You People praise Qaisar-o-Kasra and their politics though Mauviyah (ra) is present among you."(Majma-uz-Zawaid Vol. 9 Pg. 355)

During the Khilafat of Mauviyah (ra), Naval forces got strenghtened to their max. On the coastal Area of Egypt and Syria, Mauviyah (ra) built Shipyards. 1700 naval battleships used to be ready at shore for any emergency attack/defense situation.
                Islands of Qabras and Rhodus were conquered in Mauviyah (ra) Khilafah by this Naval Battalion. (Muqadma Ibn-e-Khildoon. Pg. 323)

Ibn-e-Kaseer wrote in Al Badaya Wannahaya Vol. 8 Pg. 119:

Jihad continued during Mauviyah(ra) 's rule. Allah's name ruled and war booty (maal e ghanimat) used to come in from all areas around the country into the Bait ul Maal. Muslims lived with happiness and prosparity and justice prevailed

Ibn-e-Teymiah writes in Minhaaj Us Sunnah Vol. 2 Pg. 283:

During Mauviyah (ra) Rule, He used to take special care of Justice and Huqooq-ul-Awaam.

Thats the very reason that Saad Bin Abi Waqas (ra) said:

"After Usman, I have not seen a Caliph anyone more just than Mauviyah (ra)"(Al Badaya Wannahaya Vol. 8 Pg. 133)

The Tabaee Abu Ishaq Sabaai said:

" If you (people) find the Era of Mauviyah (ra) Rule, then you will call him Mehdi"(Al Badaya Wannahaya Vol. 8 Pg. 133)

Once in the gathering of Imam Aamash, someone praised Umer Bin Abdul Aziz and declared him more Just than Mauviyah (ra), then Imam Aamash replied:

"If you (people) get the Rule of Mauviyah (ra), then you will get to know how Just he was."

Imam Bukhari in Adab-ul-Mufrid Pg. 552 said:

"Mauviyah (ra) had established a Welfare State."

Ibn-e-Teymiah in Minhaaj Us Sunnah Vol. 3 Pg. 189 said:

"The treatment/behaviour of Mauviyah (ra) with his Awaam was Best. And his people loved him a lot and Accoring to Ahadith of Bukhari and Muslim: the best Rulers are those with whom you love."

Sunan Al-Tirmithi that says:

Abdulrahman bin Abi U'mairah narrated that he heard the prophet ( صلى الله عليه و سلم ) making Du'aa for Muwayya by saying: " O Allah make a guide and a guided person" [ Sunan A-timithi: 3842] Tirmithi said it is Hasan Ghareeb while Sh. Al-albani said it is Sahih

Side Note: Abdulrahman Bin Abi U'maira scholars disagreed on whether he is a companion or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ABU MUAWYA BYRUTY View Post
                  And in the Islamic religion, Muawya (رضي الله عنه) is a test :
                  - If you love him, your faith is correct .
                  - and if you hate him, your faith is incorrect .
                  Without any disrespect to any Sahabi, the above is a bit extreme. Yes, he was a great military commander and an able ruler and a faithful companion of the Prophet (saws), but why would you turn him alone into the focal-point of faith for all Muslims?

Does the above claim (as said only for Muawya (ra) and not for any of the other companions) have any basis in Quran or authentic Hadeeth? Or is this another specific interpretation of a general hadeeth?

(Note: this is an old post, so I wouldn't bother to comment; but you "raised" it, so I assume you wanted some feedback).

walaikum as salaam

Comment

Assalaamu alaikum my dear brother farazs,

I think the brother is just trying to point to the fact that Ahlus-Sunnah love ALL the companions. This Sahaabi being mentioned in particular may be due to the fact that there are some people who tried to speak negatively of him. This shows their incorrect position towards the Sahaaba in general since we love ALL of them.

It is similar to the fact that some Ulamaa mention "wiping over the khuffain" in books of Aqeedah. This is because this fact illustrates whether someone accepts ALL of the Sunnah.

So in summary, we love ALL of the Sahaaba, and we accept ALL of the Sunnah. These two illustrations are just quick ways of identifying those who are in error on these facts.

May Allah, the Most High, bless you.

Comment

Assalaamu alaikum.

The following post shows our position towards the Sahaabah.

http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showp...01&postcount=1

Comment

I acknowledge that the intentions of the brother are pure and may Allah reward him for defending the honour of the Sahaba.

However, the wordings are another matter. The brother has gotten so carried away with anti-Shia rhetoric, that he has raised one of the sahaba to the level where the Shia put their Imaams. Who else (but Allah) has the right to decide if any Muslims faith is correct or incorrect? And on what basis?

It is dangerous to define ones faith just on the basis of his opposition to anothers faith. Just because the Shia define their religion by hatred of certain companions doesn't mean that we should define ours solely by the love of the same companions. His statement dilutes the meaning of Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaah. If you want a one-line criteria to test the Iman of a Muslim, it is contained in the Kalimah - nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Dear Brothers

The qoute :
                          And in the Islamic religion, Muawya (رضي الله عنه) is a test :

isn't my words, but the words of the great ( Ibn al-Mubarak ) ( died 181 H ) :
                          He said :We consider Muawyah as a test, whoever we see ( ............ ) we accuse his faith in Sahabah .

The arabic text is :

روى ابن عساكر في « تاريخ دمشق » (59/211) بإسناده عن عبدالله بن المبارك رحمه الله قال : معاوية عندنا محنة فمن رأيناه ينظر إليه شزراً اتهمناه على القوم يعني ، يعني الصحابة .

What is between brackets I didn't interpret it because I want a brother who is a good interpretor to translate it, because I am in a hurry & so as to be accurate .

May he also translate the following - or some of it - because they are related :

وروى الخطيب البغدادي في « تاريخه » (1/209) وابن عساكر في « تاريخ دمشق » (59/210) عن الربيع بن نافع الحلبي رحمه الله قال : معاوية ستر لأصحاب محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم ، فإذا كشف الرجل الستر اجترأ على ما وراءه .

وفي « السنة » للخلال (2/448) ورقم (693) أخبرني محمد بن موسى قال سمعت أبا بكر بن سندي قال : كنت أو حضرت أو سمعت أبا عبدالله وسأله رجل : يا أبا عبدالله لي خال ذكر أنه ينتقص معاوية وربما أكلت معه فقال أبو عبدالله مبادراً : لا تأكل معه . وسنده صحيح .

وروى الخلال في « السنة » (2/447) ورقم (690) ، وابن عساكر في « تاريخ دمشق » (59/210) من طريق الفضل بن زياد قال : سمعت أبا عبدالله وسئل عن رجل انتقص معاوية وعمرو بن العاص أيقال له رافضي . قال : إنه لم يجترئ عليهما إلا وله خبيئة سوء ما انتقص أحد أحداً من أصحاب رسول الله إلا له داخلة سوء . قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : « خير الناس قرني »

سُئل النسائي، رحمه الله تعالى، سُئِلَ عن معاويةَ بن أبي سفيان، رضي الله عنه، فقال:
                          إنما الإسلام كدارٍ لها بابٌ، فبابُ الإسلام الصحابة، فمن آذى الصحابةَ إنما أرادَ الإسلام،
                          كمن نَقرَ البابَ إنما يريدُ دخولَ الدار. قال: فمن أراد معاويةَ فإنما أراد الصحابة.

Comment

Assalamalikum, can someone post the complete narration in arabic:

Muawiya(ra) said : Prophet(saw) told me that when you become a king treat people with kindness

Comment

Originally posted by salafees_mainstream_muslims View Post
                              Assalamalikum, can someone post the complete narration in arabic:

Muawiya(ra) said : Prophet(saw) told me that when you become a king treat people with kindness

Wa Alaikum Assalam

أخرج أحمد بن حنبل في مسنده (4|101): حدثنا روح قال ثنا أبو أمية عمرو بن يحيى بن سعيد قال سمعت جدي يحدث أن معاوية أخذ الإداوة بعد أبي هريرة يتبع رسول الله r بها، واشتكى أبو هريرة. فبينا هو يوضئ رسول الله r، رفع رأسه إليه مرة أو مرتين فقال: «يا معاوية، إن وليت أمراً فاتق الله عز وجل واعدل». قال: «فما زلت أظن أني مبتلى بعمل لقول النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم، حتى ابتليت».

Recorded by Imam Ahmad (4 - 101 ), and Abu Ya'ala ( 13 - 370 ).

Comment

Working...
                              X