Can We Say 'Ya Muhammad'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bassam Zawadi
    started a topic Can We Say 'Ya Muhammad'?

Can We Say 'Ya Muhammad'?

Assalamu Alaykum

I will present the arguments from the sufi side and hopefully someone can refute them...

From Abu Hurayra: I heard the Prophet (s) say: "By the one in Whose hand is Abu al-Qasim's soul, `Isa ibn Maryam shall descend as a just and wise ruler. He shall destroy the cross, slay the swine, eradicate discord and grudges, and money shall be offered to him but he will not accept it. Then he shall stand at my graveside and say: Ya Muhammad! and I will answer him."

Abu Ya`la relates it with a sound chain in his Musnad (Dar al-Ma'mun ed. 1407/1987) 11:462; Ibn Hajar cites it in al-matalib al-`aliya (Kuwait, 1393/1973) 4:23, chapter entitled: "The Prophet's life in his grave" and #4574; Haythami says in Majma` al-zawa'id (8:5), chapter entitled: "`Isa ibn Maryam's Descent": "Its sub-narrators are the men of sound (sahih) hadith."

Bukhari in his Adab al-mufrad, Nawawi in his Adhkar, and Shawkani in Tuhfat al-dhakirin all relate the narrations of Ibn `Umar and Ibn `Abbas whereby they would call out Ya Muhammad whenever they had a cramp in their leg (Chapters entitled: "What one says if he feels a cramp in his leg"). Regardless of the grade of these narrations, it is significant that Bukhari, Nawawi, and Shawkani never raised such a disturbing notion as to say that calling out "O Muhammad" amounted to shirk. See the following editions:

Nawawi's Adhkar:

1970 Riyadh edition: p. 271

1988 Ta'if edition: p. 383

1992 Mecca edition: p. 370

Bukhari's Adab al-mufrad:

1990 `Abd al-Baqi Beirut edition: p. 286

1994 Albani edition entitled Da`if al-adab al-mufrad: p. 87

The latter gives as a reference: Takhrij al-kalim al-tayyib (235)"

date? Beirut: `Alam al-kitab: p. 324

date? Beirut: Dar al-kutub al-`ilmiyya: p.142.

Shawkani's Tuhfat al-dhakirin:

1970 Beirut: Dar al-kutub al-`ilmiyya: p. 206-207.

• 56Abdullah
    replied
    Any update on the nartation of Abu Ya'la?

Leave a comment:

• abdul mussavir
    replied
    ABUSIDRA GIVE ME THE LINK

Leave a comment:

• abdul mussavir
    replied
    ya muhammad

marijwastti i had read ur coment bt some claim me that

1) proof me that abu ishaaq is started forget when he is narrating this hadees
    ......in answer to this claim i gave this

Imaam Nawawee also said,
    “Ibn Uyainah heard from him (ie Abu Ishaaq) after he started to forget.”
    (Taqreeb Ma’a Tadreeb (2/897)
    Imaam Suyootee then said in explanation of this,
    “Khaleelee said Sufyaan heard from him after he started to forget.” (Tadreeb ar-
    Raawee (2/897), al-Irshaad (1/355)

bt he gave me hadsees from bukhari in which abu ishaaq is hears from sufyan ibn uyaniah so he said how bukhari hadees is accepted

give me reply to this

Sahih Bukhari...
    33/3, #1941

حَدَّثَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، حَدَّثَنَا سُفْيَانُ، عَنْ أَبِي إِسْحَاقَ الشَّيْبَانِيِّ، سَمِعَ ابْنَ أَبِي أَوْفَى رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ، قَالَ: كُنَّا مَعَ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فِي سَفَرٍ فَقَالَ لِرَجُلٍ: «انْزِلْ فَاجْدَحْ لِي» ، قَالَ: يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ، الشَّمْسُ؟ قَالَ: «انْزِلْ فَاجْدَحْ لِي» ، قَالَ: يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ الشَّمْسُ؟ قَالَ: «انْزِلْ فَاجْدَحْ لِي» ، فَنَزَلَ فَجَدَحَ لَهُ فَشَرِبَ، ثُمَّ رَمَى بِيَدِهِ هَا هُنَا، ثُمَّ قَالَ: «إِذَا رَأَيْتُمُ اللَّيْلَ أَقْبَلَ مِنْ هَا هُنَا، فَقَدْ أَفْطَرَ الصَّائِمُ» ، تَابَعَهُ جَرِيرٌ، وَأَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ عَيَّاشٍ، عَنِ الشَّيْبَانِيِّ، عَنْ ابْنِ أَبِي أَوْفَى قَالَ: كُنْتُ مَعَ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فِي سَفَرٍ

is Hadith ki Sanad main jo Sufyan Hain Yeh Sufyan Ib ne Uyainah hain....

Imam Badr ud Din Aini nain kaha:

ذكر رجاله وهم أربعة: الأول: علي بن عبد الله بن جعفر الذي يقال له ابن المديني، وقد تكرر ذكره. الثاني: سفيان بن عيينة. الثالث: أبو إسحاق الشيباني واسمه: سليمان بن أبي سليمان، واسمه: فيروز الشيباني نسبة إلى شيبان بن وهل بن ثعلبة وشيبان في قبائل.

Leave a comment:

• abusidra
    replied
    All of them have been discussed my firend ,please check the threads

Leave a comment:

• wedzmer
    replied
    in regards to this topic, can anyone here provide a reference to the authenticity of the following narrations:

(1) Qadi Shawkani writes:

If one is in trouble or is in distress, he should perform two nawafil rakats and then make a supplication. They should say ‘‘Ya Muhammad!’’ [May Allah bless him and grant him peace] and Allah most High will grant them what they requested and their problems and troubles should be resolved. The scholars of hadith say that this hadith is authentic and Tirmidhi, Hakim, Nasa’i, Ibn Majah and at-Tabarani record it.
    [Qadi Shawkani in Tofah al Dhakireen chapter on Salaah al Hajah]

(2) Hafidhh Ibn Kathir, Imam Tabari and Imam Ibn Athir all wrote [that]:

During the Khilafa of Abu Bakr as- Siddique, there was a battle against the false prophet Musaylima [of Najd]. When the battle commenced, the Muslims lost their footing at which point Khalid bin Walid, and the rest of the companions called out “Ya Muhammad!” [May Allah bless him and grant him peace] and proceeded to win the battle.

[Tarikh at Tabari, Tarikh Ibn Kathir and Tarikh Qamil by Imam Tabari, Hafidhh Ibn Kathir and Imam Ibn Athir and Ibn Jarir in Chapter Musaylima Kadhaab]

(3) Hafidhh Ibn Kathir and Imam Tabari both write:

During the Khilafah of ‘Umar, may Allah be pleased with Him, there was a famine outside the city of Madinah. A companion called Bilal bin Harith al Muzni, may Allah be pleased with Him, said to his people “The famine is very severe, [let us] sacrifice a goat”. Apart from a red bone nothing came from the goat [the goat was very thin due to famine and as such, there was no meat on the bones]. Bilal bin Harith, may Allah be pleased with Him, called out “Ya Muhammad!” [May Allah bless him and grant him peace]. The Messenger of Allah, (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), then appeared in the dream of Bilal bin Harith and informed him that there will be rain.

[Tarikh Ibn Kathir and Ibn Jarir in the chapter of khilafah of ‘Umar’]

(4) As-Sayyid Mawdudi writes:

When Hajaj bin Yusuf had placed tax upon some new Muslims, they left Basra crying with their fuqaha [scholars] and they were all saying, Ya Muhammad!, Ya Muhammad! [May Allah bless him and grant him peace]

[Sayyid Mawdudi in Khilafah wa Malukiyat, page 270 and Tarikh Ibn Athir]

(5) Hafidhh Ibn Kathir and Imam Tabari both write that:

After the occasion of Karbala, Sayyida Zaynab, May Allah be well pleased with her, [the sister of Hussayn, may Allah be pleased with Him] was taken as a prisoner to Syria. When she passed by the dead bodies she proclaimed: “Ya Muhammad!” [May Allah bless him and grant him peace] Your Hussayn is drenched in blood without a shroud or a grave, and Ya Muhammad! [May Allah bless him and grant him peace], your daughters are taken prisoners and your children have been killed

[Ibn Jarir and Tarikh Ibn Kathir in Chapter of Karbala]

(6) Imam Waqdi writes:

During the khilafah of Abu Bakr Siddiq [may Allah be pleased with Him], there was a battle at Halb. Ka’ab. Abu Bakr [may Allah be pleased with Him] said “Ya Muhammad! Ya! Muhammad, [May Allah bless him and grant him peace] and shouted, “Oh Companions! Stay firm footed!”

['Allama Waqdi in Futoohusham, in the chapter on the Battle of Halb]

(7) Hafidhh Ibn al Qayyim writes:

Muhammad bin ‘Umar, may Allah be pleased with Him, relates: ‘I was sitting in the company of Abu Bakr bin Mujahid in Baghdad when Shaykh Shibli came before them. Whereupon Abu Bakr bin Mujahid stood up and hugged Shaykh Shibli, kissed his forehead and sat him by his side.’ Muhammad bin ‘Umar [May Allah be pleased with Him] enquired: “You are the Shaykh [Abu Bakr bin Mujahid] whilst the whole of Baghdad regards Shibli as Majnun [Mad] - why have you treated him with so much respect?” To this, Abu Bakr bin Mujahid replied “I have done nothing strange, I have treated him exactly as I have seen the Messenger of Allah, (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), treat him. In my dream I saw the Messenger of Allah, (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), kiss Shibli between his two eyes. I asked the Prophet, (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), “Why did you treat Shibli in this way?” to which he, (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), replied “I love him because after every Salaah he recites the last verse of Surah Tauba after which he recites Sallal la ho ‘alayka Ya Muhammad! [Peace and blessings from Allah be upon you Oh Muhammad!) Three times.

[Hafidhh Ibn-al-Qayyim in Jala-al-Afham, page 80]

-----------------------------------------------

PLEASE HELP.

Leave a comment:

• abusidra
    replied
    A Sufi actually wrote a refutation to this in a book called Al Qawl Al Fasl Al Musadad fi Sihhat Hadeeth Ya Muhammad, pages 70 onwards. It appears that a problem resulted with some writing errors where Al Haytham bin Hubaish was mistakenly said instead of Al Haytham bin Hunsh.

In the Rivayath of Ibn Sunni in Amal al Yawm Val Layalaah , its Haytham bin Hanash ,in one of the chains

If Indeed Khateeb has made a mistake did anyone credit Haytham bin Hanash to prove his Tawtheeq ?and what did the Sufi do prove his crediblity?

Leave a comment:

• Bassam Zawadi
    replied
    Our opponents try to provide a narration going back to Muhammad ibn Sereen to show that they understood the hadith to be referring to calling out to someone:

روى محمد بن زياد عن صدقةَ بن يزيدَ الجُهَنيِّ عن أبي بكر الهُذَلِيِّ قال: دخلتُ على محمدِ بنِ سِيرينَ وقد خدِرت رِجْلاهُ، فنقَعَهُما في الماءِ وهو يقول:

إذا خدرت رجلي تذكرت مَن لها --- فناديتُ لُبْنَى باسمِها ودَعَوتُ
    دعوتُ التي لو أنَّ نَفْسِي تُطِيعُني----لألقَيْتُ نَفْسِي نحوَها فَقَضَيتُ

فقلت: يا أبا بكرٍ تُنشِدُ مثلَ هذا الشعر؟ فقال: يا لُكَعُ وهل هو إلا كلام حسَنُه كحَسَنِ الكلامِ وقبيحُه كقَبِيحِه.انتهى، فهذا استحسانٌ منه للكلام كما تراه جليًّا.
    However, the chain contains Abu Bakr Al Hidhli Al Basri.

Yahya ibn Ma'een said that he is not thiqa and that he used to lie.

Abu Zar'ah said that he is weak.

Abu Haatim said that he is layyin in hadeeth and that his hadeeth are written down and are not to be used as evidence .

Al Nisaa'e said that he is not thiqa.

Ibn Hajar said in his Tahdheeb Al Tahdheeb that Al Nissa'e and Ali ibn Junaid said that he is matrook al hadeeth. Ali bin Al Madeeni said that he is da'eef and even one time he said that he is very weak. Al Juzjaani said that his hadeeth are weak. He is not a Haafiz to Bukhari and Zakari Al Saaji. Al Daruqtni said that he is munkar al hadeeth and matrook. Ya'qub bin Sulayman said that he is weak. Al Maruzi said that Abu Abdullah used to weaken him. Ibn Ammaar referred to him as a weak Basri. Abu Ishaaq Al Harbi said that he cannot be used as evidence. Ibn Adi said that generally speaking his narrations cannot be used as support.

Leave a comment:

• Bassam Zawadi
    replied
    Isn't it odd that out of all possible circumstances that one could be in, we see the Sahabah supposedly making dua to the Prophet when they have numbness in their legs?

I mean the companions were sometimes in times of great distress during battles or during the fitnah period. So why not say "Ya Muhammad" during those times if Muhammad peace be upon him could indeed hear our calls and cries and help us? I mean, the companions haven't found any better time to call out to the Prophet by his name than when they had numbness in their legs?

Leave a comment:

• Bassam Zawadi
    replied
    Zuhair bin Mu’awiyyah is in the third chain and he heard from Abu Ishaaq as-Sabee’ee after he started to forget and when his memory deteriorated.

Haafidh Ibn Hajr said,

“Thiqatun-Thabt (affirmed trustworthy), except that he heard from Abu Ishaaq at the end.” (Taqreeb ut-Tahdheeb (pg.167)

The likes of this has also been mentioned in Tadreeb ar-Raawee (1/263) and Tahdheeb ut-Tahdheeb (3/351-352).

Imaam Ahmad bin Hanbal said about his hadeeth from Abu Ishaaq,

“Weak and he heard from him at the end (when his memory faded).”

Imaam Yahyaa ibn Ma’een said,

“He heard from Abu Ishaaq after he started to forget.”

Abu Haatim said,

“Zuhair is beloved to us in everything from the Israa’eel (narration’s), except the hadeeth of Abu Ishaaq.” (Tahdheeb ut-Tahdheeb (3/351-352).
    Abu Zar'ah said that Zuhair is thiqa except that he heard from Abi Ishaq after his ikhtilaat (though not everyone would agree that Abi Ishaq did ikhtilaat).

In addition to above, Abu Hatim also said that Zuhair narrated late from Abi Ishaq.

Leave a comment:

• Bassam Zawadi
    replied
    They are emphasizing on the fact that its beneficial to say the name of the person whom you love. This is because thinking of a person you love has an affect on the blood flow in your body and could remove the numbness in your leg.

Leave a comment:

• abusidra
    replied
    Assalamualaykum Bassaam

Would appreciate if you could translate or give a just brief of what Imaam Nawawi in Majmoou and Ibnul Jowzi in Zaad ul Maseer told abt the narration of Ya Muhammad of Ibn Umar

Jazakkallahu khairan

Leave a comment:

• Bassam Zawadi
    replied
    Imaam Abu Bakr Khateeb al-Baghdaadee said,

“The unknown according to the people of hadeeth (Ashaabul-Hadeeth) is the narrator who is not known to be a student of knowledge and nor do the scholars know him and they do not know his hadeeth except through one chain. Like Umarzee Murrah, Jabbaar Ta’ee, Abdullaah bin Aghar al-Hamdaanee, Hushaim bin Hansh, Maalik bin Aghar, Sa’eed bin Dheelawaan, Qais bin Karkam, Dhamr bin Maalik, from all of them Abu Ishaaq Sabee’ee is alone in reporting from them.” (al-Kifaayah Fee Ilm ar-Riwaayah (pg.88).
    Akhi, I think Al Khateeb made a mistake here.

A Sufi actually wrote a refutation to this in a book called Al Qawl Al Fasl Al Musadad fi Sihhat Hadeeth Ya Muhammad, pages 70 onwards. It appears that a problem resulted with some writing errors where Al Haytham bin Hubaish was mistakenly said instead of Al Haytham bin Hunsh.

Leave a comment:

• Bassam Zawadi
    replied
    and that is Hushaim bin Hansh
    Haytham bin Hansh.

Leave a comment:

• Bassam Zawadi
    replied
    Our opponents try to argue that in the narration where Shu'ba narrates from Abu Ishaaq, that this is fine because Shu'ba said that he didn't have the problem of tadlees with Abu Ishaq:
    كفيتكم تدليس ثلاثة : الأعمش ، وأبي إسحاق ، وقتادة
    However, as shown here http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71149, one would see that this is not the full picture because Shu'ba illustrates that his narrations from Abi Ishaaq are not ALWAYS "tadlees free".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X