Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intention...should it be uttered?

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم و الصلاة و السلام على خير المرسلين أما بعد

I begin with the name of Allah, the most glorified, the most Merciful. All praise to Allah, the one who overwhelmed us with his blessings and privileged us with the bless of Islam. May Allah exalt the mentioning of his slave and messenger– Muhammad Bin Abdullah- amongst his angles so as well, his family, his companions and whoever follows their steps.

Scholars have agreed that intention is essential condition for any worshipping act to be accepted, as it has been concluded from Quran: {And they are ordered naught else than to serve Allah, keeping religion pure for Him, as men by nature upright,} [98:05] and from the known famous Hadith in the Saheeh Hadith books: [B]{Omar Bin Al-Khattab narrated : I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for} . [Sahih Bukhari and Muslim: Authentic: Saheeh][/b]>

Intentions has been given a description as any other act which upon can conclude how it should be practiced. It has been noticed, nowadays, to find people tend to utter their intentions loud by their tongue before Praying or performing Wudu. This misunderstanding of what intention is and how it should be practiced is ascribable to many factors; lack of knowledge, misunderstanding the words of scholars or due laziness to seek knowledge. Therefore, we shall view and explore how intentions have been defined and how it should be practiced from the four Madhabs opinions.

Hanafi Madhab:
    Imam Hasan Bin Ammar Al-Sharnbali has stated in his famous book – Maraqi Al-Falah, which is considered one of the main sources for Hanafi knowledge students: "Uttering the intention is dislikeable to do according to some of our scholars because Abdullah Bin Omar has condemned this act and stopped people from doing it. Yet, some scholars have allowed uttering the intention by tongue to confirm the heart intention and at the same time to avoid doubts. On other note, Ibn Omar stood against those who utter it loud therefore uttering it in very low voice so no one can hear it, is fine. However, when our scholars stated that this is Sunnah to do, they did not mean the Sunnah of the Prophet – May Allah exalt his mention amongst his angles – but they meant the Sunnah of some scholars who did so because hearts become distracted and busy with Life matters"

Imam Al-Sarkhasi stated in his Famous Book "Al-Mabsoot" the following:
    "If someone wanted to establish a prayer, he must say: Allah Akbar and lift his hand to the level of his ears. some of our scholars, may Allah bestows his mercy upon them- assumed that intention had no place there, which is not the case because having the will to start praying is an intention itself, which is required based on the Hadith when the Prophet May Allah exalt his mention amongst his angles said: " This Hadith has been transmitted on the authority of Abu Huraira with some addition (and it is this): "Verily Allah does not look to your bodies nor to your faces but He looks to your hearts," [ saheeh: Authentic] and in the other famous Hadith :" The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions" . Intention is placed in the heart".

He added under the same topic: " Imam Muhammad Bin Suliman Al-Balkhi said:" If someone asks a person at the time he is about to establish a prayer, which prayer is he intending to do then the answer came out naturally without thinking then this is considered a full sufficient intention. Needless to say, uttering intention is not acceptable yet if it was done to confirm what in his heart then it is fine"

Maliki Madhab:
    ِAbu Al-Barakat Al-dardeeri has stated in his Famous Book Al-Sharh Al-Kabeer:" intention means to intent doing something. this intention's place located in the heart" [Al-Sharh Al-Kabeer; Section of Wudu]

Al-fawakeh Al-Dawani A'la Risalet Ibn Abi Zaid Al-Qairawani by:
    "The place of intention is in the heart. Thus, uttering it is not a condition at all. On the contrary, it is better not to utter it at all" [Al-Fawakeh Al-Dawni: Wudu section]

Hashiet Al-Sawi A'la Al-Sharh Al-Sagheer: "The seventh obligation is to have an intention before starting the Wudu (before washing the face) by establishing this intention in his heart… the proper thing is not to utter intentions because intention means the willing in the heart to do something therefore tongue has nothing to do with it"

Shafi'e Madhab:
    Imam Al-Nawawi stated in his known famous book "Al-Majmoo":
    "The place of intention is in the heart and it is neither needed nor necessary to utter it as this is agreed on by all scholars. Although, it is likeable to utter it"

Imam Al-Nawawi stated in "Mughni Al-Majmoo":
    "Intention's place is in the heart as it is agreed on by all scholars because it determines the will therefore uttering it while the heart is not aware of it is not considered an intention as all scholars agreed on as well" and he added in other place " Ibn Al-Muqri said: uttering the intention should be in secret while establishing the intention in the heart. Yet, if it was only established in the heart then it is sufficient as an intention"

Hanbali Madhab:
    A'la Al-Deen Al-Hanbali stated in his book Al-Insaaf: "it is dislikable to utter the intention as it is stated by Imam Ahmad, which was narrated by Shiekh Taqi Al-Deen and said abut Imam Ahmad opnion: it is the correct opinion". On the other hand, it was stated in the "foroo book", Ibn Obeidaan in "Talkhees book", Ibn Razeen and Al-Zarkashi that uttering intention in secret is likeable to do amongst recent scholars of Hanbali Madhab"

In conclusion: intention as explained from the four Madhab opinionsshould be in the heart and if it is to be uttered then it should be in secret.

walhu a'lam
    Seeking Knowledge & Learning Fiqh Is Only Praised When It Is For The Purpose Of Acting Upon It, Not For The Sake Of Discussions & Arguments

Why Posts Are Deleted?
    [Subscribe] Oasis.of.Serenity

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.

Jazakallhu khairan brother Child of Islam for your effort.

Perhaps the reason why many Shafi’is utter the intention is this:

قال ابن المقرئ في معجمه رقم 336: أخبرنا ابن خزيمة حدثنا الربيع قال: كان الشافعي إذا أراد أن يدخل في الصلاة قال: بسم الله موجهاً لبيت الله مؤدياً لفرض الله، الله أكبر.

Ibnul Muqri said in his Mu’jam 336: … when al-Shafi’i wanted to begin his prayer, he used to say: In the name of Allah, I face the house of Allah, performing the obligation of Allah, Allahu Akbar.

Wallahu A’lam.
    Always remember … without total fluency in the Arabic language, you can only attain basic Islamic knowledge ... but basic knowledge is the path to advanced knowledge
    haitham_hamdan@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Haitham Hamdan View Post
      Jazakallhu khairan brother Child of Islam for your effort.

قال ابن المقرئ في معجمه رقم 336: أخبرنا ابن خزيمة حدثنا الربيع قال: كان الشافعي إذا أراد أن يدخل في الصلاة قال: بسم الله موجهاً لبيت الله مؤدياً لفرض الله، الله أكبر.

Ibnul Muqri said in his Mu’jam 336: … when al-Shafi’i wanted to begin his prayer, he used to say: In the name of Allah, I face the house of Allah, performing the obligation of Allah, Allahu Akbar.

Wallahu A’lam.

Is that report from Imam Shafi (r) authentic ?

Ibn al-Qayyim said in Zaad al-Ma’aad (1/201):

When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stood up to pray, he would say: “Allaahu akbar,” and he did not say anything before that, or utter the intention (niyyah) out loud at all. He did not say, “I am going to pray such-and-such a prayer, facing the qiblah, four rak'ahs, as an imam or following an imam.” And he did not say “ada’an (on time)” or “qadaa’an (making up a missed prayer)” or “fard al-waqt (the obligatory prayer of this time).” These are all bid’ahs which were not narrated by any scholar with any isnaad, be it saheeh, da’eef, musnad or mursal … Neither was this narrated from any of the Prophet’s companions, and none of the Taabi’een or the four imams described it as mustahabb.
      ...you counted it a little thing, while with Allâh (SWT) it was very great. [24:15]

Comment

Originally posted by Haitham Hamdan View Post

Wallahu A’lam.
        Actually, Imam al-Shafi'e - رحمه الله ورضي عنه - concluded the preferability from Qiyaas. That is why he would utter it before the Salaat. Nevertheless all scholars agreed from all Madhabs that what counts in intention is what lies in heart only that is why they preferred uttering it if it would assist what is established in the heart.

Wallahu A'lam
        Seeking Knowledge & Learning Fiqh Is Only Praised When It Is For The Purpose Of Acting Upon It, Not For The Sake Of Discussions & Arguments

Why Posts Are Deleted?

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.

Comment

Is it true Shafii madhab says you must put the intention in your heart (e.g "I pray Fajr") when performing takbirat al-ihram otherwise your prayer is invalid? So if you think about 'breakfast' instead of praying Fajr when performing takbirat al-ihram, your Fajr prayer is invalid although you have already made an intention to pray Fajr before performing takbirat al-ihram. Is it true this is the opinion of Shafii madhab?

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil Basayev View Post
            Is it true Shafii madhab says you must put the intention in your heart (e.g "I pray Fajr") when performing takbirat al-ihram otherwise your prayer is invalid?
            This is correct. The Shafi Madhab states that intention has to be present at the time you are saying Takbirat al Ihram otherwise it will be invalid.

So if you think about 'breakfast' instead of praying Fajr when performing takbirat al-ihram, your Fajr prayer is invalid although you have already made an intention to pray Fajr before performing takbirat al-ihram. Is it true this is the opinion of Shafii madhab?
            Yes, it is.

Why Posts Are Deleted?

Comment

Ustadh Ayman,

As a Shafii, do you agree with Shafii madhab opinion that I asked above? I saw in another thread, you taught someone to make intention before takbirat al-ihram only.

Comment

The Shafie Madhab agrees with all other Madhabs that the place of intention is in the heart. However, they state that uttering it is recommended because it will confirm the actual intention that is in the heart. At the end of the day, the one in the heart is what matters.

Ustadh Ayman,

As a Shafii, do you agree with Shafii madhab opinion that I asked above? I saw in another thread, you taught someone to make intention before takbirat al-ihram only.

Why Posts Are Deleted?

Comment

I didn't ask about uttering the intention. Refer to this: http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showp...66&postcount=6

As I said before, I saw in another thread, you taught someone to make intention before takbirat al-ihram only (instead of making intention during takbirat al-ihram like what Shafii madhab teaches).

Comment

This is because being concise of the intention just right before making the takbeer does not mean you are not maintaining it at the time of making the takbeer of Ihram. The point is to be concise of the intention at the time of making the takbeer and this is why in the Shafie Madhab you are encouraged to utter it before the Takbeer of Ihram. In other words, making the intention means to be concise of what you are doing.

As I said before, I saw in another thread, you taught someone to make intention before takbirat al-ihram only (instead of making intention during takbirat al-ihram like what Shafii madhab teaches).

Why Posts Are Deleted?

Comment

Working...
                    X