Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the Sunnah Abrogate the Qur'an?

Assalamu Alaykum

Can someone provide me with examples in which the Sunnah abrogates the Qu'ran?

Jazakum Allah Khayr
    www.call-to-monotheism.com

Waalykum Asslaam.

The vast majority of the scholars are of the opinion that Sunnah does not abrogate the Quran. They say that there is no example of such abrogation and that the examples given by the other side are not correct.

Imams Shafi'i and ibn Taymiyyah were of this group of scholars.

On the other hand, there are few scholars who believe that the Sunnah abrogated the Quran. Muhammad bin Nasr al-Marwazi is one of them. They use the following two examples:

1- Surat al-Baqarah 180: It is prescribed, when death approaches any of you, if he leave any goods, that he make a will to parents and next of kin.

But the Prophet ASWS said: No entitled heir is to be included in the will.

Response: This verse was already abrogated by the verses of inheritance in Surat al-Nisaa. So this is not a good example of Sunnah solely abrogating the Quran.

2- Surat al-Nisaa' 15: If any of your women are guilty of lewdness (adultery), take the evidence of four witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them, or Allah ordain for them some (other) way.

But the Prophet ASWS said: Allah has ordained for them a way, stoning for adulterers, and lashing for fornicators.

Response: Allah SWT said: "or Allah ordain for them some (other) way". He SWT ordained this "other way" through the Prophet ASWS. Not that the verse was abrogated.

Wallahu A'lam.
    Always remember … without total fluency in the Arabic language, you can only attain basic Islamic knowledge ... but basic knowledge is the path to advanced knowledge
    haitham_hamdan@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Haitham Hamdan View Post
      Waalykum Asslaam.

The vast majority of the scholars are of the opinion that Sunnah does not abrogate the Quran. They say that there is no example of such abrogation and that the examples given by the other side are not correct.

Imams Shafi'i and ibn Taymiyyah were of this group of scholars.

On the other hand, there are few scholars who believe that the Sunnah abrogated the Quran. Muhammad bin Nasr al-Marwazi is one of them. They use the following two examples:

1- Surat al-Baqarah 180: It is prescribed, when death approaches any of you, if he leave any goods, that he make a will to parents and next of kin.

But the Prophet ASWS said: No entitled heir is to be included in the will.

Response: This verse was already abrogated by the verses of inheritance in Surat al-Nisaa. So this is not a good example of Sunnah solely abrogating the Quran.

2- Surat al-Nisaa' 15: If any of your women are guilty of lewdness (adultery), take the evidence of four witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them, or Allah ordain for them some (other) way.

But the Prophet ASWS said: Allah has ordained for them a way, stoning for adulterers, and lashing for fornicators.

Response: Allah SWT said: "or Allah ordain for them some (other) way". He SWT ordained this "other way" through the Prophet ASWS. Not that the verse was abrogated.

Wallahu A'lam.
      Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I apologise for reviving such on old thread.

I have read this post and it all makes sense to me.

However, may I ask what the explanation for this is, and could you tell me whether it is an example of the Sunnah abrogating the Qur'aan, or not?

According to Ash Shanqeeti, the flesh of domesticated donkeys was made prohibited during the battle of khaybar by the Prophet (S), this abrogated the understanding of the verse (6/145) "Say: "I find not in that which has been inspired to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytatah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth, or the flesh of swine for that surely is impure, or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah". This was an ahaad hadeeth doing the abrogating.
      What is the explanation for this?

BaarakAllahu feekum.

Comment

This being an example of naskh is very arguable to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Bakr b. Nasir View Post
          This being an example of naskh is very arguable to say the least.
          Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,

My respected brother,

This not something that I am supporting or putting forward. I came across it and I would like to know an explanation for why it is/is not a valid example.

BaarakAllahu Feekum.

Comment

Here is what Al-Khoei has said about The Hadiths of infallible being able to abrogate/Cancel the rulings of the Quran:

إن الحكم الثابت بالقرآن ينسخ بالسنة المتواترة ، أو بالاجماع القطعي الكاشف عن صدور النسخ عن المعصوم عليه السلام

A Hukm (ruling) established in the Qur'aan can be abrogated by a successively and uninterruptedly transmitted hadeeth, or by a definition consensus that demonstrated the abrogation was based on the opinion that came from the infallibles .
            Source:
            Al-Khoei, Al-Bayaan fee Tafseer Al-Qur'aan, pg. 192 or 286.

Comment

O, the Qur'an is the Sunna and the Sunna is the Qur'an concept.

I just have a quick question about Shar'ah:
              Surat al-Nisaa' 15: If any of your women are guilty of lewdness (adultery), take the evidence of four witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them, or Allah ordain for them some (other) way.
              The witnesses must witness with their own two eyes, no sheets. How is it possible for anyone to get punished in this case? Yet they do...

Comment

Originally posted by abu ubaidah View Post
                Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,

My respected brother,

This not something that I am supporting or putting forward. I came across it and I would like to know an explanation for why it is/is not a valid example.

BaarakAllahu Feekum.
                wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Sorry, I did not see your question earlier. There are many different interpretations on this verse, but I don't have time to type them out right now.

I will try and share some of them later on, in sha Allah.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Bakr b. Nasir View Post
                  wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Sorry, I did not see your question earlier. There are many different interpretations on this verse, but I don't have time to type them out right now.

I will try and share some of them later on, in sha Allah.
                  BaarakAllahu feekum,

I read your answer on IslamicAwakening forums, it was very helpful.

Comment

Assalamu Alaikum Akhi,

Originally posted by salafees_mainstream_muslims View Post
                    Here is what Al-Khoei has said about The Hadiths of infallible being able to abrogate/Cancel the rulings of the Quran:

إن الحكم الثابت بالقرآن ينسخ بالسنة المتواترة ، أو بالاجماع القطعي الكاشف عن صدور النسخ عن المعصوم عليه السلام

A Hukm (ruling) established in the Qur'aan can be abrogated by a successively and uninterruptedly transmitted hadeeth, or by a definition consensus that demonstrated the abrogation was based on the opinion that came from the infallibles .
                    Source:
                    Al-Khoei, Al-Bayaan fee Tafseer Al-Qur'aan, pg. 192 or 286.
                    Maybe I missed something here, but why did you use a shi'ee reference to answer the brothers question? Al-Bayaan fee Tafseer Al-Qur'aan is a Shiee tafsir.
                    يقولون لي قد قل مذهب أحـمد..... وكل قليل في الأنام ضئيل
                    فقلت لهم مهلا غلطتم بزعمكـم ..... ألم تعلموا أن الكرام قليل

Comment

Those who say Hadeeth cannot abrogate Quran then Did you know that:

A) The way the Qur'an was preserved is only known through hadiths?
                      B) Who memorized/copied the Qur'an is only known through hadiths?
                      C) The meaning of a verse of the Qur'an according to the Prophet (pbuh) is only known through hadiths?
                      D) The understanding of the verse by the family and friends of the Prophet (pbuh) is only known through hadiths?
                      E) The reason a verse was revealed is only known through hadiths?
                      F) Which verse came before or after another verse is only known through hadiths?
                      G) Which verse was abrogated by another verse is only known through hadiths?
                      H) The way we check/prove a verse is authentic is the same way we check/prove a hadith is authentic

Comment

Working...
                      X