Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Prophet peace be upon him hurt Aisha?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Prophet peace be upon him hurt Aisha?

Assalamu Alaykum

Look at the following narration...

Saheeh Muslim
    Book 004, Number 2127:

Muhammad b. Qais said (to the people): Should I not narrate to you (a hadith of the Holy Prophet) on my authority and on the authority of my mother? We thought that he meant the mother who had given him birth. He (Muhammad b. Qais) then reported that it was 'A'isha who had narrated this: Should I not narrate to you about myself and about the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him)? We said: Yes. She said: When it was my turn for Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to spend the night with me, he turned his side, put on his mantle and took off his shoes and placed them near his feet, and spread the corner of his shawl on his bed and then lay down till he thought that I had gone to sleep. He took hold of his mantle slowly and put on the shoes slowly, and opened the door and went out and then closed it lightly. I covered my head, put on my veil and tightened my waist wrapper, and then went out following his steps till he reached Baqi'. He stood there and he stood for a long time. He then lifted his hands three times, and then returned and I also returned. He hastened his steps and I also hastened my steps. He ran and I too ran. He came (to the house) and I also came (to the house). I, however, preceded him and I entered (the house), and as I lay down in the bed, he (the Holy Prophet) entered the (house), and said: Why is it, O 'A'isha, that you are out of breath? I said: There is nothing. He said: Tell me or the Subtle and the Aware would inform me. I said: Messenger of Allah, may my father and mother be ransom for you, and then I told him (the whole story). He said: Was it the darkness (of your shadow) that I saw in front of me? I said: Yes. He struck me on the chest which caused me pain, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you? She said: Whatsoever the people conceal, Allah will know it. He said: Gabriel came to me when you saw me. He called me and he concealed it from you. I responded to his call, but I too concealed it from you (for he did not come to you), as you were not fully dressed. I thought that you had gone to sleep, and I did not like to awaken you, fearing that you may be frightened. He (Gabriel) said: Your Lord has commanded you to go to the inhabitants of Baqi' (to those lying in the graves) and beg pardon for them. I said: Messenger of Allah, how should I pray for them (How should I beg forgiveness for them)? He said: Say, Peace be upon the inhabitants of this city (graveyard) from among the Believers and the Muslims, and may Allah have mercy on those who have gone ahead of us, and those who come later on, and we shall, God willing, join you.

Can someone explain this to me please?
    www.call-to-monotheism.com

wa 'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatoh,

May Allah grant you with wisdom and Iman, brother. This is just a strike for drawing attention as Arabs usually do in their conversations. Perhaps the word "which caused me pain" makes you think differently, but when you check the context, you realize it is not a context of a man hurting his wife, on the contrary, the hadith shows how the Prophet (saws) was keen not to frighten or even bother his sleeping wife as he (saws) said to her: "I thought that you had gone to sleep, and I did not like to awaken you, fearing that you may be frightened."

The man who do not like to awaken his wife fearing that she may be frightened won't certainly harm her physically, at least not in the same night!

'Aisha herself states in another report:
    The Messenger of Allah (saws) never beat a thing with his hand except the time when he made Jihad. He (saws) never beat a servant or a woman.
    [Muslim (4/79/1814), Ibn Majah (1/1984), Ahmad (6/32/229,232), al-Darimi (2/2218)]

Anas ibn Malik says:
    I remained in the service of the Messenger of Allah (saws) ten years. He never once told me, Oof. When I did something, he never asked me why I did so. When I did not do a certain task, he never asked me why I did not do it. The Messenger of Allah had the best character of all people.
    [al-Bukhari (10/6038), Muslim (4/81/1814)]

And confer al-Shama'il al-Muhammadiyyah of Imam al-Tirmithi for more about the noble characters of the Holy Prophet (saws).
    In Uhud, when the polytheists attacked the Prophet (saws), he asked, "Who will sell his life to us?" Ziyad ibn al-Sakan with five of al-Ansar got up. They kept on fighting to defend the Prophet (saws) and all were killed one after the other.....
    Abu Dujanah shielded the Prophet (saws) with his body. Arrows were hurled at his back as he leaned over him, until many struck him. [Sirat Ibn Hisham]

May you be ransomed with my father and my mother and my whole life, O Messenger of Allah!

Comment

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم و الصلاة و السلام على خير المرسلين

Brother Moumen,

Jazak Allah khier for your beautiful answer. smile

Brother Bassam Zawadi,

I, always, advise myself and others to de-attach ourselves from understanding contexts of hadith from western angle so that we can have a correct and proper understanding of hadiths.

An obvious example is this Hadith , which you quoted, where that part of hitting was understood as hurting from a western perspective. As you know from a western perspective hitting women is not an acceptable act since (hurting) always relates to images of women being bashed or damaged physically by men!!! That is why you find them sometimesargue about the verse in the Quran where it says hit if women are disobedient. wallahu Al-Musta'an!!! Their understanding to such terms are wrong since they judge things according to their own understanding.

The part which you underlined in the Hadith is a form of teaching yet this is not a hitting that causes any physical harm or damage since the reason behind it is not to harm but to teach. needless to say, this act is only done in rare situations and only when it is needed, depending on the case.

Now, let me reform the concept of hitting in Islam from another western angle:

If you have a child who is acting rudely all the time, do not his parents hit him on the hand to teach him or maybe spank him? This light hit will cause the child bit of pain but this never harm the child at all. Besides the fact, no one ever says this is bashing or unaccepted act. smile

in the end, what brother moumen has said will give better understanding to the acts of the prophet ( صلى اله عليه وسلم ) with his wives. I believe, it is enough clarfication to how the Prophet ( صلى الله عليه و سلم ) treated his wives, with what Aisha ( رضي لله عنها ) narrated when she was asked about the prophet's manners, as she replied saying: " His manners and behaviour are conclusded from the Quran"

wallahu a'alam
      Seeking Knowledge & Learning Fiqh Is Only Praised When It Is For The Purpose Of Acting Upon It, Not For The Sake Of Discussions & Arguments

Why Posts Are Deleted?
      [Subscribe] Oasis.of.Serenity

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.

Comment

Jazakum Allah Khayr for your beautiful answers.

What is the Arabic word used and is this what Imam Nawawi said in his commentary?

Comment

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

The arabic word, which has been used in the hadith is " لهدني ". this is a word which means pushing with a full hand.

keep in mind, this is a type of teaching not harming so it is not considered as hitting as it is precieved in accordance with nowadays people understanding. smile

wallahu A'lam

Seeking Knowledge & Learning Fiqh Is Only Praised When It Is For The Purpose Of Acting Upon It, Not For The Sake Of Discussions & Arguments

Why Posts Are Deleted?

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.

Comment

But yakhi, Aisha said that it caused her pain. I think the Prophet peace be upon him might have accidentally hurt her. So 'lahadneey' does not mean to just give advice.

Comment

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Brother Bassam,

I acknowledged the fact that such hit cause pain but it is a bit of pain and it is not type of pain that harms. I have advised previously that this is a light hit to teach not to harm that is why it was called a hit from first place. Furthermore, I have given the example of hitting a child lightly to teach him to show the difference. smile

The prophet did that intentionaly as away of teaching and reminding and did not hit in the way it harms at all. It is similar to a situation when you are with a friend who says something filthy for example so you push him in a way to show him what he did is wrong. Now, what you did is a hit, but a light one that does not cause harm but cause small pain. smile

I hope I could deliver my thoughts in such words. smile If not, let me know and I shall try, inshallah, to put it in clearier way. smile

wallahu A'lam

Why Posts Are Deleted?

Comment

Isn't this a weak hadith, maybe even fabricated? I thought that is what it says at the end of the hadith in Sahih Muslim. Also, it does not say radiallahu Anha after Aisha (ra)'s name. If so, then should we be even discussing this hadith? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by wajida View Post
                  Isn't this a weak hadith, maybe even fabricated? I thought that is what it says at the end of the hadith in Sahih Muslim. Also, it does not say radiallahu Anha after Aisha (ra)'s name. If so, then should we be even discussing this hadith? Please correct me if I am wrong.
                  QUOTE=Bassam Zawadi;2078]

Saheeh Muslim
                  Book 004, Number 2127:

Muhammad b. Qais said (to the people): Should I not narrate to you (a hadith of the Holy Prophet) on my authority and on the authority of my mother? We thought that he meant the mother who had given him birth. He (Muhammad b. Qais) then reported that it was 'A'isha who had narrated this: Should I not narrate to you about myself and about the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him)? [/QUOTE]

Comment

assalamu alaykum

Does the arabic mean 'caused pain' literally? because for women especially, there is emotional pain, especially if someone you love reprimands you. It does not take a beating to hurt a woman or child emotionally. You will see a small child will cry if their parent gives them a light tap on the hand, especially girls, if their love for their parents is strong.

Comment

Originally posted by UmmKhalid View Post
                      assalamu alaykum

Does the arabic mean 'caused pain' literally? because for women especially, there is emotional pain, especially if someone you love reprimands you. It does not take a beating to hurt a woman or child emotionally. You will see a small child will cry if their parent gives them a light tap on the hand, especially girls, if their love for their parents is strong.
                      Wa ALaykum Salam

I dislike with what you are asking for several reasons.

1. All I say is we do not throw out this hadeeth neither do we throw out the ones admonishing beating.

2. I strongly believe "light hitting" is premitted and a little pain is light hitting.

3. I strongly dislike other people digging into meanings of hadeeths because to me that shows rejection for the true meaning of words. Or it shows that you base your morals on what is positive and negative, having trouble accepting something you see as negative, yet it is done by the best man who has ever lived. It is positive.

I am not saying you do any of the above. You are just proposing different interpretations.

When someone attributes something negate to the Prophet, saw, or sees it as such, it is very, very dangerous. Even if you joke, insulting Resool, sall-Allahu alayhi s wa sallam, you are executed, out of the fold. I even read repentance is not accepted.

Now before others give it interpretations [I do not mean you] with logic of a third greader, they need to remember the above adn we hear and obey.

Comment

assalamu alaykum

If it means it in the literal sense, then I accept it.

I do not know the Arabic language for me to judge whether that is what is meant or not. As in the case of the ayat about 'beating'. beating is a strong word meaning to hurt a person repeatedly, often in a state of rage, without self-control, causing many bruises, yet its the word chosen in the translation of the Qur'an. We know from hadith that 'beating' is not allowed, but a light hitting that does not cause physical harm is okay. This is why I hope that someone who has a good grasp of Arabic can reply, instead of all of us just speculating.

Comment

May Allah keep you and me and us all on His path. Ameen, jazzakAlalhu Khayr

Comment

assalamu alaykum

ameen, and thx for the reminder

Comment

assalamu alaykum

I just came across this hadith on another site... they appear to be contradictory hadith, hopefully someone can read the arabic and explain the meanings of this hadith and the one above.

ishah said: “Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) never once struck a servant of his nor a woman, nor did he strike anyone with his hand.” [Sahh Muslim (2328), Sunan Ab Dwd (4786), Sunan Ibn Mjah (1984), as quoted from Sunan Ibn Mjah

Comment

Working...
                              X