Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we compile info on what the salaf did on the Eids?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we compile info on what the salaf did on the Eids?

Asalaam alaikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh

I think we should compile some things which the salaf did on eid so we can imitate them, or just to understand what was done then.. to re-liven our feelings for it. We can compile them and post them around on other sites too insha Allah.

I say this because alot of us have lost that happy feeling for eid, with alot of people saying that its for kids only (because adults have nothing to do.)

But if we see what the salaf did, we might be able to bring that feeling back insha Allah.

So anyone got any narrations on the issue? Please post them insha Allah.

Wa alaykum as'salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu

Inshaa Allaah the following is of some benefit:

Greetings during 'Eid from the way of the Salaf

It is permissible for Muslims to greet each other on the day of Eid with specific greetings that have been reported from the sahabah (radiAllahu anhumma) and from amongst the Salaf.

Responding to a question in this regard, Shaykh ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah) said:

As for people greeting each other after the eid prayer by, Taqaballahu minna wa minkum (may Allah accept it from you and us) - it is reported that some of the shahabah practiced it, and the scholars permitted it. However, Ahmad said, I do not initiate saying it to anyone; but if one says it to me, I answer him. This is because responding to a greeting is obligatory, but to initiate the greeting is not a required sunnah, neither is it prohibited: whoever does it it would have an example (from the salaf) and whoever does not would have a predecessor as well. [Majmoo al-Fataawaa (24/253)]

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajr Al-Asqalani (rahimahullah) said: We have related in Mahaamiliyaat with a chain of narration that is hasan, from Jabyr ibn Nufayr who said: When the companions of Allahs Messenger (sulAllahu alaihi wa salaam) met on the day of eid, they would say to each other, Taqaballahu minna wa minkum (may Allah accept from you and us ). [Al Mahamiliyyat; hasan isnad; see Fath ul Bari 2:446]

Ibn Qudaamah mentioned in al-Mughnee (2/259) that Muhammad ibn Ziyad said: I was with Abu Umamah al Bahili (rahimahullah) and some other companions of the Prophet (sulAllahu alaihi wa salaam). When they returned from the eid, they said to each other, Taqabbalallahu minna wa minkum (May Allaah accept it from you and us).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Ruling on Eid and the Sunnahs of Eid: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/49014
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

When to Bath

A man once asked Al Allh be pleased with him about taking a full bath (ghusl). He replied, Wash every day if you want. The man said, No, what I mean is the ghusl. Ali replied, Al-Jumuah (Friday), the Day of Arafah, the Day of Al-Nahr (sacrificial slaughter, Eid al-Adh) and the Day of Al-Fitr (the Eid following Ramadn).

Al-Bayhaq, Al-Sunan Al-Kubr, hadth #6343. In Irw Al-Ghall, under hadth #146, Shaykh Al-Albn graded its chain of transmission sahh and said this is the best evidence for the recommendation to bath on the two Eid celebrations.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

Eid Greetings of the Companions

The Companions of Allhs Messenger peace and blessings be upon him used to say to each other when they met on Eid:

(taqabbalallhu minn wa minkum, which means may Allh accept from us and you [our fasts and deeds].)

Al-Hfidh Ibn Hajr, Fath Al-Br, grades this narrations chain of transmission hasan and cites it from Al-Mahmilyyt.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The Takbr for Eid

Ibn Masd Allh be pleased with him - used to say the takbr during the Days of Tashrq thus:

Allh is Greatest, Allh is Greatest, none deserves worship but Allh. Allh is Greatest, Allh is Greatest, and to Him is all praise.

Ibn Ab Shaybah, Al-Musannaf Vol.2 p74. Shaykh Al-Albn said its chain of narration is Sahh.

Al Allh be pleased with him - used to say the takbr following the Fajr prayer on the Day of Arafah until the Asr prayer of the last day of Tashrq he used to say it after Asr prayer (then stop).

Ibn Ab Shaybah, Al-Musannaf Vol.2 p72. Shaykh Al-Albn said its chain of narration is good.

See Irw Al-Ghall Vol.3 p125.
    إن الله يرفع بهذا القرآن أقواما ويضع به آخرين - Indeed Allaah raises Nations by this Qur'an and lowers others by it. [Muslim]

www.globalvoiceforjustice.com

Comment

asalaam alaikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh

jazakillah khayr for that.

can anyone remember any other narrations, like i remember once hearing in a talk that imam malik was young, only a child and he sat outside his teachers house on eid day to study hadith. the teacher was shocked to see him studying on eid day.

imam malik used to tie knots for every hadith he read [to make sure he had memorised the right amount], he had memorised it all already by the time he had tied the knots. masha Allah. which made the teacher realise he had alot of potential.

Comment

Working...
      X