No announcement yet.

Beautiful gems from some our Salaf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miqdad bin 'Amr narrated that when he took Hakam bin Kaysaan as a prisoner (during one of the battles), his commander wanted Hakam executed. However, he (Miqdad) managed to persuade his commander not to execute Hakam but to rather take him to Prophet (peace be upon him). When they brought him to Prophet (peace be upon him), the noble Prophet (peace be upon him) started inviting him to accept Islam and spent a long time speaking to him.

After some time, Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said, "O Prophet (peace be upon him) For what reason are you talking to him so much? By Allah! He shall never accept Islam! Allow me to execute him so that he may reach his destination in Hell!"

However, Prophet (peace be upon him) paid no attention to Umar's (may Allah be pleased with him) and continued speaking until Hakam accepted Islam.

Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said, "When I saw Hakam accepting Islam, I was surrounded by thoughts of the past and future. I chided myself for addressing Prophet (peace be upon him) concerning a matter about which he had more knowledge than me. I then told myself that I had done so only for the welfare of Allah and His Prophet (peace be upon him)." Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) also said, "Hakam became a Muslim and by Allah, he was an excellent Muslim who fought for the pleasure of Allah until he was martyred at Bir Ma'oona. Prophet (peace be upon him) was pleased with him and he has entered the gardens of Jannah."

- Quoted by Ibn Sa'd in his Al Tabaqat Al Kubra, no. 395, 4866, 4/102.

Shamela Reference: http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-1686#page-1231

Comment

Al-Fudayl ibn Iyad (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

" لا تُخَالِطْ إِلا حَسَنَ الْخُلُقِ ، فَإِنَّهُ لا يَأْتِي إِلا بِخَيْرٍ ، وَلا تُخَالِطْ سَيِّئَ الْخُلُقِ ، فَإِنَّهُ لا يَأْتِي إِلا بِشَرٍّ "

Do not mix EXCEPT with those who have good character; for the one who has good character brings nothing but good, whilst the one who has bad character brings nothing but evil.

- Quoted by Imam Al-Bayhaqī in Shu'ab Al-Imaan, no. 7554

Islamweb Reference: http://library.islamweb.net/hadith/d...35815&hid=7554

Comment

Hadhrat Abu Tha'laba Khushani narrated that Prophet (peace be upon him) once returned from a battle and entered the Masjid to perform two Rakaahs of salaah. Whenever he returned from a journey, Prophet (peace be upon him) always liked to proceed first to the Masjid to perform two Rakaahs of salaah and then go to the house of Faatimah (may Allah be pleased with her), his daughter, before proceeding to the homes of his wives. Consequently, he went to the home of Faatimah (may Allah be pleased with her) upon returning from a particular journey before going to see his wives. Welcoming him at the door, Faatimah (may Allah be pleased with her) started kissing Prophet (peace be upon him) on his face and his eyes. She then began weeping. When Prophet (peace be upon him) asked her what it was that made her weep, she replied, "0 Prophet (peace be upon him)! It is because I see your face so pale and your clothing so tattered (because of the strenuousness of the journey)."

To this, Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Do not weep, 0 Faatimah Allah has sent your father with a Deen by means of which He will enter honour or disgrace into every baked and unbaked home and every skin tent on the surface of the earth (those who accept Islam will have the honour while the others will have the disgrace). It (the Deen) shall reach wherever the night reaches (everywhere)."

- Quoted by Abu Nu'aym al-Isfahani in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya, page 124, and he called it Ghareeb hadeeth; Al Haakim in al Mustadrak, no. 1840

Islamweb Reference: http://library.islamweb.net/newlibra...d=74&startno=2

Comment

Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that Abu Moosa Ash'ari (may Allah be pleased with him) sent him to give the news of the conquest of Tustar to Umar (may Allah be pleased with him). He says that Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) asked him about what had happened to six members of the Bakr bin Waa'il tribe who had forsaken Islam and proceeded to live with the Mushrikeen. Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) replied, "0 Ameerul Mu'mineen! They have
          renounced Islam and joined up with the Mushrikeen. Their only treatment is
          their execution."

To this Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said, "I prefer getting hold of them alive and well to all the gold and silver in the world." Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) asked, "0 Ameerul Mu'mineen! What would you do with them if you got hold of them alive?" Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) replied, "I would present to them the door from which they left so that they may re-enter it. If they accept, I would accept it from them, otherwise 1 would hand them over to the prison."

- Musannaf Ibn Abi Shayba 32737 (Checking No.33308), Shaykh Abu Muhammad said Isnaad is Saheeh; Musannaf Abdur Razzak, no 18696; Isnaad classed as saheeh by Ibn Kathir in Musnad al Farooq 2/458; Imam Bayhaqi in Sunan al Kubra 8/27.

Islamweb Reference: http://library.islamweb.net/newlibra...=73&startno=95

Comment

Haafidh Abul Hasan Tarablasi narrated:

Aa'isha (may Allah be pleased with her) narrates that her father Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) was a close friend of Prophet (peace be upon him) even during the Period of Ignorance. One day, Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) left home to meet the Prophet (peace be upon him). When he met the Prophet (peace be upon him) he said, "O Abul Qaasim! why is it that you are no longer present in the gatherings of your people? Why do they accuse you of speaking ill of their forefathers?" Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "I am the Messenger of Allah and am calling you towards Allah."

As soon as Prophet (peace be upon him) had completed, Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) accepted Islam. When Prophet (peace be upon him) had left Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him), there was none between the mountains of Makkah happier than the Prophet (peace be upon him) because Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) had accepted Islam.

Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) then met Uthmaan bin Affaan (may Allah be pleased with him), Talha bin Ubaydullah (may Allah be pleased with him), Zubayr bin Awwaam (may Allah be pleased with him) and Sa'd bin Abi Waqqaas (may Allah be pleased with him), all of whom accepted Islam. The following day, Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) met Uthmaan bin Madh'oon Abu ubaydah bin Jarraah, Abdur Rahmaan bin Awf, Abu Salma bin Abdil Asad and Arqam bin Abil Arqam (may Allah be pleased with them), all of whom also readily accepted Islam.

- Al Bidayah Wan Nihayah 4/75

Shamela Reference: http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-4445#page-1786

Comment

Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him); once met the Prophet (peace be upon him) and said, "0 Muhammad! Is it true what the Quraysh are saying about you forsaking our gods, calling us foolish and referring to our forefathers as infidels?"

The Prophet replied, "Yes. I am the Messenger of Allah and His Prophet. Allah has sent me to propagate His message. With conviction I am calling you towards Allah. By Allah! This is certainly the truth. 0 Abu Bakr! I call you towards the One Allah, who has no partner. Do not worship anyone but Him and always be obedient to Him. The Prophet (peace be upon him) then recited a part of the Qur'an to Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him). Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) neither accepted the message nor rejected it. He accepted Islam, forsook idols, renounced all partners in worship and attested to the truth of Islam. Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) returned from his meeting with the Prophet (peace be upon him) as a true Mu'min.

- Al-Sirah al-Nabawiyya li-ibn Kathir 1/433; al Bidayah Wan Nihayah 3/27

Shamela Reference: http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-23...e-721#page-721

Comment

The statement "Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) neither accepted the message nor rejected it." in the above narration has an error as per the scholars and this was cited by Imam ibn Kathir as:

There is certainly an error in the words of Ibn Ishaaq's narration when it reads, "Abu Bakr neither accepted the message nor rejected it". Ibn Ishaaq himself as well as other scholars have mentioned that Abu Bakr was a close friend of the Prophet even before Prophet (peace be upon him) announced his prophethood. Abu Bakr was well aware of the truthfulness, honesty, excellent habits and sublime character of Prophet (peace be upon him) which would not allow him to even speak a lie about the creation, let alone lie about The Creator. Therefore, as soon as Prophet (peace be upon him) told Abu Bakr that he was Allah's Prophet, he immediately accepted without hesitation.

In fact, Bukhari narrates a Hadeeth in which it is reported that when there was once an argument between Abu Bakr and Umar , Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "When Allah sent me as a Prophet to you people, you all said that I was lying while Abu Bakr said, 'You are speaking the truth.' He then rendered me great assistance with his life and wealth. For my sake, will you people not leave this friend of mine alone (and refrain from causing him any sorrow)!" Prophet (peace be upon him) repeated this statement twice, after which no one ever caused any harm to Abu Bakr. This Hadeeth of Prophet (peace be upon him) is a clear proof that Abu Bakr was the first to accept Islam.

- Al Bidayah Wan Nihayah 4/68

Shamela Reference: http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-4445#page-1779

Comment

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

" مَا دَعَوْتُ أَحَدًا إِلَى الإِسْلامِ إِلا كَانَتْ عَنْهُ كَبْوَةٌ وَتَرَدُّدٌ وَنَظَرٌ إِلا أَبَا بَكْرٍ مَا عَتَّمَ مِنْهُ حِينَ ذَكَرْتُهُ وَمَا تَرَدَّدَ فِيهِ "

"Everyone I called to Islam expressed some hesitation and doubts except Abu Bakr. When I mentioned Islam to him, he neither hesitated nor expressed any doubts (but accepted immediately) ."

- As-Seerah An-Nabawiyyah Li Ibn Hisham, page 252; Imam Bayhaqi in Dalail al-Nubuwwa, no. 496; Ibn Asakir in Tareekh Dimishq, no. 29700.

Comment

Usamah bin Zayd bin Aslam narrated that Umar- r once said to them, "Do you want to hear about how I came into the fold of Islam?" When those present begged to be informed, Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said, "I was one of the people most opposed to the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him). I once came to him as he sat in a house near Safa and sat before him. Taking hold of my collar, Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, '0 son of Khattaab! Accept Islam" and then prayed for me saying, '0 Allah! Guide him.' I then said, 'I testify that there is none worthy of worship but Allah and I testify that you are the Messenger of Allah.'

THE MUSLIMS PRESENT THERE EXCLAIMED, 'ALLAHU AKBAR!' SO LOUDLY THAT IT WAS HEARD IN THE STREETS OF MAKKAH."

- Quoted by Abu Nu'aym in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya 1/41

Islamport Reference: http://islamport.com/w/trj/Web/2993/39.htm

Comment

Amr bin Uthmaan reports that Uthmaan (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

"I was once visiting my maternal aunt Arwa bint Abd al Muttalib when Prophet (peace be upon him) arrived there. I began staring at him because in those days there was some mention of his Prophethood. Turning to me, he asked, What seems to be the matter, O Uthmaan?' I replied, '1 am surprised that there is so much talk about you when you are such an honourable among us.'

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, 'Laa Ilaaha IllAllaah'. Allah is witness to the fact that I shuddered at this. Prophet (peace be upon him) then began reciting

And in the heaven is your provision, and that which you are promised.
                      Then, by the Lord of the heaven and the earth, it is the truth (i.e. what has been promised to you), just as it is the truth that you can speak. (Qur'an 51:22,23)

Thereafter, Prophet (peace be upon him) stood up and left. I left after him, met him and accepted Islam.

- Quoted by Imam Yusuf ibn Abdallah ibn Mohammed ibn Abd al-Barr in his Al-Isti'ab fi ma'rifat al-as'haab 2/73

Islamport Reference: http://islamport.com/w/trj/Web/267/573.htm

Comment

KHAALID BIN SA'EED'S ACCEPTANCE OF ISLAM

Khaalid bin Sa'eed bin Al Aas was one of the first people to accept Islam. He was of the first of his brothers to accept Islam. His path to Islam started with a dream that he saw. In his dream he saw himself standing on the edge of a blazing fire. He mentioned that the fire was so large that only Allah knew its vastness. In this dream, he saw his father pushing him into the fire while Prophet (peace be upon him) was holding him by the waist so that he should not fall in. This scene frightened him so much that he woke up shocked. When he woke, he said to himself, "This is definitely a true dream."

Thereafter, he met Abu Bakr and related the dream to him. Abu Bakr said to him, "Good is in store for you. He Prophet (peace be upon him) is the Prophet of Allah so do follow him. (The interpretation of your dream is) You will follow him and enter into Islam with him. Thereafter this Islam will save you from entering the fire of the Hell where your father is at the moment."

Khaalid bin Sa'eed then met Prophet (peace be upon him) in the Ajyaad district and said to him, "O Muhammad! To what do you call me?" He replied, "I call you to the One Allah who has no partner and to believe that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger. I call you to renounce your worship of STONES THAT CANNOT HEAR, CANNOT CAUSE HARM, THEY CANNOT BE OF BENEFIT TO YOU FOR THEY DO NOT EVEN KNOW THOSE WHO WORSHIP THEM FROM THOSE WHO DO NOT WORSHIP THEM!" Khaalid bin Sa'eed said, "I testify that there is none worthy of worship besides Allah and I testify that you are the Messenger of Allah." Prophet (peace be upon him) was extremely happy when Khaalid bin Sa'eed accepted Islam.

Khaalid bin Sa'eed then stayed away from his home. When his father discovered that he had accepted Islam, he sent someone to look for him. When the person brought him before his father, his father rebuked him very harshly and started beating him with the whip he had in his hand. He beat Khaalid so severely that the whip broke as it struck his head. His father then said, "By Allah! I shall not give you anything to eat!" To this Khaalid bin Sa'eed said, "If you do not give me anything to eat, then Allah shall definitely provide for me and I will pass my life." He then left and went to Prophet (peace be upon him). Thereafter he constantly remained in the company of Prophet (peace be upon him).

- Al Bidayah Wan Nihayah 4/81-82; Imam Bayhaqi in Dalail al-Nubuwwa, no. 507; Mustadrak 'ala al-Saheehayn, no. 5038; Ibn Sa'd in Tabaqat al Kubra, no. 4765; Ibn Asakir in Tareekh Damishq 14225.

Shamela Reference: http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-4445#page-1793

Comment

Khubayb ibn Abd ar-Rahman narrated that Sa'd ibn Zurara and Dhakwaan ibn Abd Qais came to Makkah to have Utba bin Rabee'ah settle a dispute. when they arrived and heard about Prophet (peace be upon him), they both went to him. Prophet (peace be upon him) presented Islam to them, recited Qur'an to them and they both accepted Islam without even getting close to Utba bin Rabee'ah.

Sa'd ibn Zurara and Dhakwaan ibn Abd Qais were therefore the first persons from Madinah to accept Islam.

- Quoted by Ibn Abdil Barr in Al-Isti'ab fi ma'rifat al-as'hab, no. 652; Tabaqat Ibn Sa'd 3/608

Comment

Rajaa' ibn Haywah* said:

يقال: ما أحسن الإسلام ويزينه الإيمان، وما أحسن الإيمان ويزينه التقوى، وما أحسن التقوى ويزينه العلم، وما أحسن العلم ويزينه الحلم، وما أحسن الحلم ويزينه الرفق

"It is said: How wonderful Islam is and Iman beautifies it. And how wonderful Iman is and Taqwa beautifies it. And how wonderful Taqwa is and knowledge beautifies it. And how wonderful knowledge is and forbearance beautifies it. And how wonderful forbearance is and gentleness beautifies it." [Tahdheeb al-Kamal]
                            * رجاء بن حيوة

Comment

One day, while mentioning the virtues of the Ansaar and that the fact that they were pioneers in Islam, Ali bin Abi Taalib (may Allah be pleased with him) said,

"The person who does not like the Ansaar and does not recognize the rights due to them, cannot be a Mu'min. By Allah, they used their swords, their power of speech and their generosity of their hearts to nurture Islam just as a mare nurtures her foal in a green pasture. During the seasons of Hajj, Prophet (peace be upon him) used to go out to call the various tribes to Islam. However, none was prepared to accept his message. He used to meet the various tribes at the marketplaces of Majinna and Ukaaz and at Mina until he would meet the same tribes returning year after a year. In fact, there were those tribes who used to say to him, "When will the time come for you to give up hope on us because you have been meeting with us for such a long time? Eventually the time came when the Most Powerful the Most Honored Allah decided matters in favor of the tribes of the Ansaar. Prophet (peace be upon him) m then presented Islam to them and they readily accepted.

They took Prophet (peace be upon him) to their town, assisted him and sympathized with him. May Allah reward them with the best of rewards. Thereafter, we (the Muhaajireen) came to them and took up residence in their homes. They preferred us above themselves to the extent- that they would even draw lots to decide which of them would be host to us. Eventually, from the depths of their hearts they allowed us to have greater rights than them in their very own wealth. They even sacrificed their lives for the protection of Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him). May the mercies and blessings of Allah be showered on them."

- Quoted by Abu Nu'aym in Dala'il al-Nabuwwah 1/262, hadeeth no. 219

Comment

Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) gathered his family members when Allah revealed the verse:

And warn your tribe (O Muhammad [peace be upon him]) of near kindred. (Qur'an 26:214)

Thirty of them gathered and had something to eat and drink. Thereafter, the Prophet (peace be upon him) asked them, 'Who will assume the responsibility of paying my debts and fulfilling my pledges? Whoever does this shall be my companion in Paradise and my successor in my family." Someone said, "But you are an ocean (of generosity and virtue). Who could possibly assume your responsibilities?" then the Prophet (peace be upon him) repeated the request thrice. When Prophet (peace be upon him) presented the request to the members of his household, Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) said, "I am prepared."

- Quoted by Nur al-Din 'Ali ibn Abi Bakr ibn Sulayman Abu al-Hasan al-Haythami in Majma' al-Zawa'id wa Manba' al-Fawa'id (9/116) with Jayyid Isnaad; Isnaad classed as Hasan by Ahmad Shakir in his Tahqeeq of Musnad Ahmad 2/165; Isnaad classed as Saheeh by Ibn Jareer al Tabari in Musnad Ali, no. 60

Comment

Working...
                                X