Beautiful gems from some our Salaf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wakee’ bin Jarraah said:

كان الاعمش، قريبا من سبعين سنة، لم تفته التكبيرة الاولى.

Al-’Amaash almost became 70 years old without missing the first Takbeer in the Masjid (for offering salah).

- Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in Siyar A’lam al-Nubala 6/228

Comment

Allahu Akbar!!

Imam Ibn Rajab al Hanbali (may Allah have mercy on him) quoted:

بعض السلف كانوا يدعون الله ستة أشهر أن يبلغهم شهر رمضان ثم يدعون الله ستة أشهر أن يتقبله منهم

Some of the Salaf used to call upon Allah for six months before that Allah allow them to reach Ramadan, then they would beseech Him for the next six months for Him to accept their deeds from them.

- Lata'if al-Ma'arif fima li Mawasim al-Aam min al-Wadha'if 1/209

Comment

We have been encouraged by our Prophet (peace be upon him) and his companions (may Allah be pleased with them) to ask questions so that we may increase in knowledge, but asking questions that will not benefit us are disliked.

A man asked ash-Sha’bi what the name of the Shaytaan's wife is.

كيف تسمي امرأة إبليس؟

Ash-Sha’bi replied:

ذاك نكاح ما شهدناه.

”That is a wedding I did not attend.”

- Al Aqd Al Fareed 7/168

Comment

Sa'eed bin Abdul Aziz (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

'Umair bin Haani was asked,

إن لسانك لا يفتر عن ذكر الله، فكم تسبح كل يوم وليلة؟

We see your tongue never getting tired of the remembrance of Allah, how many times do you glorify Allah a day?

Whereupon he replied:

مائة ألف، إلا أن تخطئ الأصابع

100,000 times if my fingers do not lie to me (if I am not mistaken)

- Quoted by Abu Nu'aym al-Isfahani in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya 5/157

Comment

Imam Hasan al-Basri said:

يخرج من النار رجل بعد ألف عام، ثم غلب عليه البكاء ثم قال: يا ليتني أكون ذلك الرجل

”After a thousand years a man will come out of the Hell Fire. I hope that man is me.”

- Kitab al-zahr al-faʼiḥ fi dhikr man tanazzah ʻan al-dhunab wa-al-qabaʼiḥ 1/92

Comment

Imam Abu'l-Faraj ibn al-Jawzi (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

بأصبعي هاتين كتبت ألفي مجلدة، وتاب على يدي مئة ألف، وأسلم على يدي عشرون ألفا

I have written 2000 volumes. 1000 people made Tawbah at my side. 20,000 people accepted Islam through me.

- Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in Siyar A’lam al-Nubala 21/370

Comment

When 'Abdullaah bin Idrees (may Allah have mercy on him) was on his death bed his daughter started crying.

He said,

لا تبكي يا بنية ، فقد ختمت القرآن في هذا البيت أربعة آلاف ختمة

"Do not cry, because I have finished the entire Qur'an four thousand times inside this house"

- Quoted by Imam Ibn Jawzi in Sifat al-Safwah 3/170

Comment

Imam Ibn Abi Dunya quoted:

كان حماد بن أبي سليمان يفطر في كل ليلة من شهر رمضان خمسين إنسانا فإذا كان ليلة الفطر كساهم ثوبا ثوبا

Hammaad bin Abee Sulaymaan used to provide iftaar for fifty people every night of Ramadan.

On the night of Eid al-Fitr he would buy all of these people a thawb each.

- Makarim al-Akhlaq 1/96

Comment

Allahu Akbar!!

Abu Ishaaq as-Sabi'ee said:

قد كبرت وضعفت، ما اصوم الا ثلاثة ايام من الشهر والاثنين والخميس وشهور الحرم

I have become old and weak and can only fast the three days of every month, Mondays and Thursdays and the holy months.

- Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in Tadhkirah Al-Huffaz 1/115

Comment

HUDHAYFAH RA ON PRESENT DAY HYPOCRITES

It was narrated by Muhammad ibn Musanna from Waki' bin al-Jarrah from al-A'mash from Abi Wa'il that Hudhayfah ibn al-Yaman (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

" المنافقون الذين بينكم اليوم أشر من المنافقين الذين كانوا على عهد رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم "

“The hypocrites among you today are worse than the hypocrites who lived at the time of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).

He was asked:

يا أبا عبد الله كيف ذلك ؟

“O Aba ‘Abdullah, how is this so?”

He replied:

" إن أولئك أسروا نفاقهم، وإن هؤلاء أعلنوه "

“They used to hide their hypocrisy. As for the ones today, they display it openly.”

- Al-Bahr al-Zakhar al-Ma'ruf bi-Musnad al-Bazzar, no. 2870

Comment

It was narrated from Muhammad ibn Yaqoob from Muhammad ibn Ishaaq from Fadl ibn Ishaaq from Marwan bin Shuja' al-Jazri from Salm bin Ajlan al-Aftas that Sa’eed bin Jubayr reported:

مات ابن عباس بالطائف ، فشهدت جنازته ، فجاء طير لم ير على خلقته ودخل في نعشه ، فنظرنا وتأملنا هل يخرج فلم ير أنه خرج من نعشه ، فلما دفن تليت هذه الآية على شفير القبر ، ولا يدرى من تلاها

Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) died while in At-Ta’if. I witnessed his funeral and then a bird came that had never been seen before. It entered the burial site and we looked and waited to see if it would come out, but we did not see it come out of the hole. When he was laid in the ground, we heard this verse being recited at the edge of his grave but we did not know who recited it,

يا أيتها النفس المطمئنة ارجعي إلى ربك راضية مرضية فادخلي في عبادي وادخلي جنتي

“O satisfied soul, return to your Lord content and with pleasure. Enter among My servants. Enter among My garden.” (Qur'an 27:30)

- Narrated by Imam Haakim in Mustadrak ala al-Saheehain, no. 6312, 6366; Imam Ahmad in Fadhail as-sahaba 1879 and Isnaad classed as Hasan by Shaykh Waseeullah Abbas in his tahqeeq of Fadhail as-sahaba; Imam Tabarani in al Kabir, no. 10581; Juz ibn Hasan ibn Arafah, no. 50; Ash-Sharee'ah by Imam al-Ajuree, no. 1758; Ibn Sa'd in al Tabaqat, no. 136; Ibn Abi Hatim in al Tafseer, 19299; Al Thalabi in his Tafseer 10/204; al-Wasith fi Tafsir al-Quran al-Majid by Abu al-Hasan 'Ali bin Ahmad al-Wahidi, no. 1350; Al-Mudih li al-Jam' wa al-Tafriq by Imam Khateeb Baghdadi 2/145; Mashyakhat Qaḍi al-Maristan by Qaḍi al-Maristan, no. 503; Imam Haythami said in Majma' al-Zawa'id wa Manba' al-Fawa'id that the narrators are trustworthy 9/288

Comment

Someone advised 'Umar bin 'Abd-Al 'Azeez:

اجعل كبير المسلمين عندك أبا, وصغيرهم ابنا, وأوسطهم أخا, فأي أولئك تحب أن تسيء إليه

"Think of the elders of the Muslims with you (i.e. under your rule) as a father; and the young make them as a son; and the middle-aged as a brother;
                          then which of them would you want to harm?

[Jaami' al-Uloom wal-Hikam, 283]

Comment

Abu 'Imran al-Jauni narrated:

It was said to ‘Aamir bin Abd-Qais:

نك تبيت خارجا ، أما تخاف الأسد !؟

“Indeed you spend your night outdoors, do you not fear lions?”

He replied:

إني لأستحيي من ربي أن أخاف شيئا دونه . وروى همام عن قتادة مثله

“Indeed I feel ashamed from my Lord, that I should fear anything other than Him.”

- Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in As-siyar a'lam an-nubala 4/17

Comment

Salahuddin Ayyubi (may Allah have mercy on him) has hardly had any wealth in his possession and this can be seen in the below quotation:

وَإِنَّمَا لَمْ يُخْلِفْ أَمْوَالًا وَلَا أَمْلَاكًا ; لِكَثْرَةِ عَطَايَاهُ وَهِبَاتِهِ وَصَدَقَاتِهِ وَإِحْسَانِهِ إِلَى أُمَرَائِهِ وَوُزَرَائِهِ وَأَوْلِيَائِهِ، حَتَّى إِلَى أَعْدَائِهِ، وَقَدْ أَسْلَفْنَا مَا يَدُلُّ عَلَى كَثِيرٍ مِنْ ذَلِكَ، رَحِمَهُ اللَّهُ، وَقَدْ كَانَ مُتَقَلِّلًا فِي مَلْبَسِهِ، وَمَأْكَلِهِ، وَمَشْرَبِهِ، وَمَرْكَبِهِ، فَلَا يَلْبَسُ إِلَّا الْقُطْنَ وَالْكَتَّانَ وَالصُّوفَ، وَلَا يُعْرَفُ أَنَّهُ تَخَطَّى مَكْرُوهًا بَعْدَ أَنْ أَنْعَمَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ بِالْمُلْكِ، بَلْ كَانَ هَمُّهُ الْأَكْبَرُ وَمَقْصُودُهُ الْأَعْظَمُ نَصْرَ الْإِسْلَامِ، وَكَسْرَ الْأَعْدَاءِ اللِّئَامِ، وَيُعْمِلُ فِكْرَهُ فِي ذَلِكَ وَرَأْيَهُ وَحْدَهُ مَعَ مَنْ يَثِقُ بِرَأْيهِ لَيْلًا وَنَهَارًا، سِرًّا وَجِهَارًا

"And verily he didn't leave behind any money or property because of the immense amount of gifts and charity and kindness that he used to show the leaders and ministers under his command, and even to his enemies! I’ve already described this previously, may Allah have mercy on him. And he was very simple in his clothing, food, drink, and transportation. He would only wear cotton, linen, and wool. It is not known that he ever approached anything forbidden or discouraged, especially after Allah blessed him with his kingdom. Rather, his greatest concern and goal was to aid Islam.”

- Quoted by Imam Ibn Kathir in Al Bidayah Wan Nihayah 16/656

Comment

Imam Ibn Kathir further says:

وَهَذَا مَعَ مَا لَدَيْهِ مِنَ الْفَضَائِلِ وَالْفَوَاضِلِ، وَالْفَوَائِدِ الْفَرَائِدِ، فِي اللُّغَةِ وَالْأَدَبِ، وَأَيَّامِ النَّاسِ، حَتَّى قِيلَ: إِنَّهُ كَانَ يَحْفَظُ الْحَمَاسَةَ بِتَمَامِهَا وَخِتَامِهَا. وَكَانَ مُوَاظِبًا عَلَى الصَّلَوَاتِ فِي أَوْقَاتِهَا فِي جَمَاعَةٍ، يُقَالُ: إِنَّهُ لَمْ تَفُتْهُ الْجَمَاعَةُ فِي صَلَاةٍ قَبْلَ وَفَاتِهِ بِدَهْرٍ طَوِيلٍ حَتَّى وَلَا فِي مَرَضِ مَوْتِهِ، كَانَ يَدْخُلُ الْإِمَامُ فَيُصَلِّي بِهِ فَكَانَ يَتَجَشَّمُ الْقِيَامَ مَعَ ضَعْفِهِ، رَحِمَهُ اللَّهُ.

"This is all in addition to the virtues and unique skills he possessed in the language (Arabic), poetry, and history, such that it was said he had memorized 'al-Hamasah' (a book of poetry compiled by Abu Tammam at-Ta'i) in its entirety.

And he was very strict in praying on time in congregation. It is said that he never missed a single prayer in congregation for a great part of his life, even during the illness that killed him. The imam would enter and lead him in prayer, and he would struggle to get up and pray despite his weakness. May Allah have mercy on him"

- Quoted by Imam Ibn Kathir in Al Bidayah Wan Nihayah 16/656

Comment

Working...
                                X