X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahya al-Qattaan:

I heard Sufyaan ath-Thawri saying,

إن أقبح الرعية أن يطلب الدنيا بعمل الآخرة

"Verily the worst occupation is to seek the dunyaa through the actions of the hereafter"

- Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in as-siyar a'lam an-nubala, page 243

Comment

Yahya bin Yamaan narrated that Imam Sufyaan ath-Thawri said,

المال داء هذه الأمة ، والعالم طبيب هذه الأمة ، فإذا جر العالم الداء إلى نفسه ، فمتى يبرئ الناس ؟

"Money is the disease of this world and the doctor is the Scholar. If the Doctor himself accumulates the disease when will the people be cured then?"

- Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in as-siyar a'lam an-nubala, page 243

Comment

Sa'id ibn Abi Burda said:

"I heard my father say that Ibn 'Umar saw a Yemeni man going around the Kaa'ba while carrying his mother on his back, saying, 'I am your humble camel. If her mount is frightened, I am not frightened.'

Then he asked, 'Ibn 'Umar? Do you think that I have repaid her?'

He replied,

'No, not even for a single contraction (pain she had suffered to deliver you).'

- Imam Bukhari in Al-Adab Al-Mufrad, no. 11; Classed as Saheeh by al Albani.

Comment

Imam Al-Fudhayl bin 'Iyyadh said:

والله ما يحل لك أَن تؤذي كلبا ، وَلا خنزيرا بغير حق ، فكيف تؤذي مسلما?

By Allah it is not allowed for you to hurt a dog nor a pig without any right, then what about hurting a Muslim?

- Tarikh Damishq li ibn Asakir, no. 52337; Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in as-siyar a'lam an-nubala, page 427

Comment

Rafi' bin Mahran Abi al-Aaliyah narrated:

كَانَ أُبَيُّ بْنُ كَعْبٍ صَاحِبَ عِبَادَةٍ ، فَلَمَّا احْتَاجَ إِلَيْهِ النَّاسُ تَرَكَ الْعِبَادَةَ ، وَجَلَسَ لِلْقَوْمِ .

Ubay bin Ka'b (may Allah be pleased with him) used to be a man of worship, but when people became in need of him, he left the worship and sat with the people (i.e, to assist them with their queries on Islam and support them)

- Tarikh Damishq li ibn Asakir, no. 5365

Comment

Qataadah once said:

قال قتادة ما نسيت شيئا ، ثم قال يا غلام : ناولني نعلي ، قال : نعلك في رجلك

"I never forget anything!" [saying this, he commanded his servant] saying,

"O young boy! Bring me my sandals!"

Whereupon the young boy told him "Your sandals are on your feet!"

- Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in as-siyar a'lam an-nubala, page 279

Comment

Khaalid bin Ma'dan:

إذا فتح أحدكم باب خير فليسرع إليه ; فإنه لا يدري متى يغلق عنه

If Allah opens up a door of khayr for you (giving charity etc) then hasten to it, as you don't know when it will be closed.

- Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in as-siyar a'lam an-nubala, page 540

Comment

It is reported that 'Abdullah ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said, explaining the verse:

يَعْلَمُ خَائِنَةَ الأَعْيُنِ وَمَا تُخْفِي الصُّدُورُ سورة غافر آية 19

He knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the breasts conceal

(Surah Ghafir, Verse 19)

" الرَّجُلُ يَكُونُ فِي الْقَوْمِ فَتَمُرُّ بِهِمُ الْمَرْأَةُ فَيُرِيهِمْ أَنَّهُ غَضَّ بَصَرَهُ عَنْهَا فَإِنْ رَأَى مِنْهُمْ غَفْلَةً نَظَرَ إِلَيْهَا وَلَحَظَ إِلَيْهَا , فَإِنْ خَافَ أَنْ يَفْطِنُوا لَهُ غَضَّ بَصَرَهُ وَقَدِ اطَّلَعَ اللَّهُ مِنْ قَلْبِهِ وُدَّ أَنَّهُ نَظَرَ إِلَى عَوْرَتِهَا "

A man is with a group of people when a woman passes. He shows them that he has lowered his gaze from looking at her. But when he sees they are not paying attention, he looks at her. If he fears they will notice, he lowers his gaze, but Allah has seen in his heart that he wishes he could see her body (private areas).

- Al-Zuhd li Hanad bin al Sari, no. 1428

http://library.islamweb.net/hadith/d...127&startno=14

Comment

JazakummAllahu khayran all for this beautiful thread. So beautiful and soothing. BarakAllahu feekum.
                    من لم يرض بالقضاء فليس لحمقه دواء

Comment

It is reported that Muhammad bin Sirin said, having been asked about a man who drops unconscious when the Qur'an is recited to him,

ميعاد ما بيننا وبينه أن يجلس على حائط، ثم يقرأ عليه القرآن من أوله إلى آخره، فإن وقع فهو كما قال

“Make an appointment between us and him, we will sit on a wall, and the Qur'an – from beginning to end – will be recited unto him. If he falls off the wall, he is as he claims (i.e, it happens naturally to him).”

- Quoted by Abul-Hasan Alamuddeen Ali ibn Muhammad As-Sakhawi in Jamal al-Qurra' wa Kamal al-Iqra' 1/358

Comment

We do not require characters like batman or superman as symbols of justice and bravery when we have the likes of Khalid ibn Waleed and Hamza ibn 'Abdul-Muttalib.

Narrated Khalid bin Al-Walid:

لَقَدْ دُقَّ فِي يَدِي يَوْمَ مُوتَةَ تِسْعَةُ أَسْيَافٍ، وَصَبَرَتْ فِي يَدِي صَفِيحَةٌ لِي يَمَانِيَةٌ

On the day of Mu'tah, nine swords were broken in my hand and only a Yemenite sword of mine remained in my hand.

- Sahih al-Bukhari 4266

Sa'd ibn Abi Waqqas (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

كان حمزة يقاتل يوم أحد بين يدي رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم بسيفين و يقول : أنا أسد الله

I saw Hamza fighting with two swords on the day of Uhud pushing the Kuffar back defending the Prophet, proclaiming I am the Lion of Allah!

- Narrated by Ibn Sa'd in Al Tabaqat Al Kubra, 3/6.

Comment

Yunus bin Ubayd said:

مَالِي مَالِي تَضِيعُ لِي الدَّجَاجَةُ فَأَجِدُ لَهَا، وَتَفُوتُنِي الصَّلَاةُ فَلَا أَجِدُ لَهَا

"What is the matter with me? When I lose a chicken I feel concerned, but when I miss the prayer in congregation, it does not grieve me."

- Quoted by Abu Nu'aym al-Isfahani in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya, 3/19

http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-10495/page-3319

Comment

Ibn Abee Haatim narrated:

ذكر عن ابن نمير ، حدثنا أبو أسامة ، عن هشام بن عروة عن أبيه ، عن عائشة أنها خرجت فيما كانت تعتمر ، فنزلت ببعض الأعراب ، فسمعت رجلا يقول : أي أخ كان في الدنيا أنفع لأخيه ؟ قالوا : ما ندري . قال : والله أنا أدري

It was narrated on the authority of ibn Numayr who said: Abu Usaamah narrated to us on the authority of Hishaam ibn ‘Urwah, on the authority of his father, on the authority of Aaishah when she was performing ‘Umrah; she was amongst some of the bedouins when she heard a man saying:

“Which man was the most beneficial to his brother in the life of this world?”

The people responded: “We don’t know.”

He said: “By Allah, I know!”

قالت : فقلت في نفسي : في حلفه لا يستثني ، إنه ليعلم أي أخ كان في الدنيا أنفع لأخيه . قال : موسى حين سأل لأخيه النبوة

I [Aaishah] said: “I said to myself: He has made an oath without exceptions, indeed he must know which person was the most beneficial to his brother in the life of this world.”

He said: “It was Musa when he asked Allah to make his brother a prophet.”

I [Aaishah] said: “By Allah he spoke the truth.”

فقلت : صدق والله . قلت : وفي هذا قال الله تعالى في الثناء على موسى ، عليه السلام : ( وكان عند الله وجيها ) [ الأحزاب : 69 ]

I say [Ibn Abi Haatim]: Concerning this, Allaah the Elevated stated in praise of Musa, Alayhis Salaam:

{ and he was honorable before Allah } [Al Ahzaab: 69]

- Tafsir ibn Katheer, 5/283

http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-8473/page-2986

Comment

Bakr ibn Abdullah al Muzani said:

إذا أردت أن تنفعك صلاتك فقل : لعلي لا أصلي غيرها

"If you want your prayer to be of benefit to you, say to yourself, 'I might not have a chance to perform another prayer.'"

- Quoted by Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali in Jami' al-'Ulum wal Hikam, page 386

Comment

Bilal ibn Sa‘d (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

أَخٌ لَكَ كُلَّمَا لَقِيَكَ ذَكَّرَكَ بِحَظِّكَ مِنَ اللَّهِ ، خَيْرٌ لَكَ مِنْ أَخٍ لَكَ كُلَّمَا لَقِيَكَ وَضَعَ فِي كَفِّكَ دِينَارًا

A brother of yours who reminds you of Allah every time he meets you is better for you than a brother who puts a dinar in your hand every time he meets you.

- Quoted by ibn Mubarak in Kitab al-Zuhd wa al-Raqa'iq, no 480

Comment

Working...
                                X