Beautiful gems from some our Salaf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Du'a of Makhlad ibn Al-Husayn and the Power of Birr

The following narrative is found in Ibn Jawzi's beautiful tract 'Birrul Walidayn':

'Abd Al-Rahman, the son of Imam Ahmad said, "I heard my father say, 'A woman came to Makhlad ibn Al-Husayn and said, 'My son has been taken prisoner by the Romans. I don't have anything except a small house that I cannot sell. Please show me someone who can pay his ransom as I have no peace of mind and am sleepless during night and day. The Shaykh put his head down for a while and then made some supplication. After a period of time the woman came back (to Makhlad) with her son and began praying for him and said, 'My son will tell you the story', so he narrated: 'I was in a group of prisoners taken by one of the kings of Rome. Whilst we were returning from work after sunset, the shackles from my feet opened up and fell to the ground'. He mentioned the date and time this occurred, and it was the same time his mother had come to the Shaykh and he had supplicated to Allah for him.

'The man who was guarding us stood up and shouted, 'You broke the shackle!' I said, 'No, it fell off'. He became confused and spoke to his friend. They then brought a blacksmith who tied me up again. I walked a few steps and the shackle fell off again. They all became bewildered and called for their priests who asked me, 'Do you have a mother?' I said, 'Yes'. They said, 'Her prayer has been answered. We now must release you without tying you and we will take you to the Muslim side'.

Comment

• Abrahah proceeded to Makkah, mobilized the army, and prepared the elephant that was called Mahmud. Abrahah had decided to return to Yemen after demolishing the Ka’bah. When the elephant was pointed towards Makkah, Nufayl ibn Habib whispered in the elephant’s ear, “Kneel down or go back to where you have come from. You are in the Inviolable town of Allah."

When he left his ear the elephant knelt down. Nufayl quickly climbed the mountain. The troops beat the elephant to make it get up but it would not: they beat its head with iron bars, but it would not get up. Whenever they made it face towards Syria or Yemen it would immediately get up and start off. Then suddenly birds like swallows and starlings came from the sea and with every bird were three lentil-like and chickpea-like stones, one in its beak and two in its claws.

Everyone who was hit by any of these stones died. Those who were, not hit Fled away, but on their way back, they were falling down and dying. Abrahah was affected in his body and died

- Al Seerah Al Nabawiyyah by Ibn Hisham 1/52

http://library.islamweb.net/newlibra...=58&startno=55

Comment

• While 'Abdul-Muttalib was sleeping under the shade of the Ka'bah someone commanded him in a dream to dig Zamzam. Abdul-Muttalib said "While I was sleeping in the shade of the Ka’bah someone came to me saying "Dig Tibah,' I said, ‘What is Tibah?' Then he went away. The next day while I was in sleeping he came to me saying, Dig Barra I said what is Barra? Then he went away. The next day while I was in sleeping he came to me saying 'Dig Al-Madnunah,' I said. 'What is Al-Madnunah then he went away. The next day while I was sleeping in bed he came to me saying dig Zamzam I said, 'What is Zamzam? He said, it never depletes nor its water lessens; it is to provide water for pilgrims; it is between excretion and blood, at the rap of the crow with whitish wings.

When he discovered the place, knowing that his vision had come true, he took his spade and was accompanied then by his only child, Al-Harith and started digging. Once the stones covering a well appeared he exclaimed with "ALLAHU AKBAR".

- Al Seerah Al Nabawiyyah by Ibn Hisham 1/143

http://library.islamweb.net/newlibra...58&startno=164

Comment

• Barakallah feekum br. Faizan

Comment

• It was narrated that ‘Abdullah bin Salam said:

“When the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) came to Al-Madinah, the people rushed towards him and it was said: ‘The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) has come!’ I came along with the people to see him, and when I looked at the face of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ), I realized that his face was not the face of a liar. The first thing he said was:

“O PEOPLE, SPREAD (THE GREETING OF) SALAM, OFFER FOOD TO PEOPLE AND PRAY AT NIGHT WHEN PEOPLE ARE SLEEPING, YOU WILL ENTER PARADISE IN PEACE.”

- Saheeh Bukhaari Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 1334

Comment

• Anas ibn Maalik (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said:

“Verily Ayyub, the Prophet of Allah, suffered his trials for eighteen years, when he was shunned by relatives and strangers alike, except for two of his brothers who were among the closest of his brothers. They used to come to him in the morning and in the evening. One of them said to his companion: Do you know, by Allah, that Ayyub must have committed a sin that no one else ever committed? His companion said: Why is that? He said: For eighteen years, Allah has not shown mercy to him or granted him relief.

When they went to him in the evening, the man could not keep from telling him about that. Ayyub said: I do not know what he is talking about, but Allah knows that I passed by two men who were arguing, and they mentioned Allah, I would go back to my house and offer expiation on their behalf, because I did not want Allah to be mentioned except in a proper manner…

- Narrated by Abu Ya‘la in al-Musnad, 6/299; Saheeh Ibn Hibbaan 7/159; al-Haakim in al-Mustadrak, 2/635 and he said that the report is saheeh as per the conditions of Shaykhayn and classed as Saheeh by Albani in As-Silsilah As-Saheehah, no.17

Comment

• The Prophet, sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, said:

من نصر أخاه بالغيب نصره الله في الدنيا والآخرة

"He who defends his (fellow Muslim) brother in his absence, Allah will defend and support him in this life and the Hereafter."

- Al-Bayhaqi in Shu'ab Al-Eemaan; Albani in As-Silsilah As-Saheehah 1217

Comment

• HUMILITY OF THE COMMANDER OF FAITHFUL!

Muhammad ibn 'Umar al-Makhzoomi narrated that his father said:

'Umar ibn al-Khattab called out when the prayer was about to begin, and when the people had gathered and said takbeer, he ascended the minbar and praised and glorified Allah as He deserves, and sent peace and blessings upon His Prophet, then he said:

"0' people, I remember when I used to tend the flocks of my maternal aunts of Banu Makhzoom, and they would give me a handful of dates or raisins, which would be sufficient for the day, and what a day that was!" Then he came down, and 'Abdur-Rahman ibn 'Awf said to him: "0' Ameer al-Mu'mineen, all you did was to belittle yourself." He said,

"Woe to you, 0' son of 'Awf I was alone and I started to think. I said to myself, 'You are the caliph, who is better than you?' So I wanted to remind myself of what I am."

- Narrated by ibn Asakir in Tareekh Damishq, no. 47117

http://library.islamweb.net/hadith/d...7655&hid=47117

Comment

• THE COURAGEOUS MIGRATION OF UMAR!

When 'Umar decided to migrate to Madeenah, he insisted on doing so openly. Ibn 'Abbas said:

'Ali ibn Abi Talib said to me, 'I do not know of any of the Muhajireen who did not migrate in secret, except 'Umar ibn al-Khattab. When he decided to migrate, he put on his sword, put his bow over his shoulder, picked up his arrows and carried his stick by his side. He went out to the Ka'bah, where a number of Quraysh were gathered in its courtyard, and circumambulated the House seven times, at a leisurely pace. Then he went to the Maqam and prayed at a leisurely pace. Then he went to the circles of people, one by one, and said to them,

'May your faces become ugly! Allah will only rub these noses in the dust. Whoever wants his mother to be bereft of him and his children to become orphans or his wife to become a widow, let him meet me behind this valley.' 'Ali said,

'No one followed him except a few of those who were weak and oppressed. He taught them and told them about Islam, then he went on his way."'

- Narrated by ibn Asakir in Tareekh Damishq, no. 46401

http://library.islamweb.net/hadith/d...7655&hid=46401

Comment

• The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

لو أنكُم كنتم توكَّلُونَ على اللهِ حقَّ تَوَكُّلِهِ لَرَزَقَكُم كما يرزُقُ الطَّيْرَ ألا تَرَوْنَ أنها تغْدُو خِمَاصًا وتروحُ بِطَانًا

If you were to put your trust in Allah as you should, you would be given provision like the birds, who go out in the morning hungry and come back in the evening with full stomach.

- Musnad Ahmad 1/182, Isnaad classed as Saheeh by Ahmad Shakir

Comment

• Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) said while advising Umar (may Allah be pleased with him):

وَإِنَّ اللَّهَ تَعَالَى ذَكَرَ أَهْلَ الْجَنَّةِ فَذَكَرَهُمْ بِأَحْسَنِ أَعْمَالِهِمْ ، وَتَجَاوَزَ عَنْ سَيِّئَاتِهِمْ ، فَإِذَا ذَكَرْتَهُمْ قُلْتَ : إِنِّي لأَخَافُ أَنْ لا أَلْحَقَ بِهِمْ ، وَإِنَّ اللَّهَ تَعَالَى ذَكَرَ أَهْلَ النَّارِ فَذَكَرَهُمْ بِأَسْوَأِ أَعْمَالِهِمْ ، وَرَدَّ عَلَيْهِمْ أَحْسَنَهُ ، فَإِذَا ذَكَرْتُهُمْ قُلْتُ : إِنِّي لأَرْجُو أَنْ لا أَكُونَ مَعَ هَؤُلاءِ ، لِيَكُونَ الْعَبْدُ رَاغِبًا رَاهِبًا ، لا يَتَمَنَّى عَلَى اللَّهِ وَلا يَقْنَطُ مِنْ رَحْمَتِهِ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ

Allah has mentioned the people of Paradise and He mentioned only the best of their deeds and overlooked their bad deeds, and when I think of them I say: I fear that I will not be one of them. And Allah has mentioned the people of Hell and He mentioned only the worst of their deeds, and rejected their good deeds, and when I think of them I say: I hope that I will not be among them. One should be hoping for Paradise and fearing Hell, without having too much hope or despairing of the mercy of Allah.

- Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya, no. 80

http://library.islamweb.net/hadith/d...=322957&hid=80

Comment

• First words spoken by Umar ibn Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) when he became the caliph:

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي ضَعِيفٌ فَقَوِّنِي , وَإِنِّي شَدِيدٌ فَلَيِّنِّي , وَإِنِّي بَخِيلٌ فَسَخِّنِي

"0' Allah, I am harsh so make me softer; I am weak so make me strong; I am stingy so make me generous."

- Musannaf ibn Abi Shaybah, no 35149

http://library.islamweb.net/hadith/d...8003&hid=35149

Comment

• Said ibn al-Musayyab narrated that Umar ibn al-Khattab had a dispute brought to him between a Muslim and a Jew. Umar saw that the right belonged to the Jew and ruled in his favour. The Jew said to him,

وَاللَّهِ لَقَدْ قَضَيْتَ بِالْحَقِّ

"By Allah! You have judged correctly.''

- Muwatta Imam Malik, book 36, no.2

Comment

• Abu Sa'eed Bakr bin Muneer narrated:

The son of Muhammad ibn Ismail (Imam Bukhari) sent him some goods to sell. Some businessmen who came to know about this gathered and requested to buy those goods for five thousand Dirhams, so Imam Bukhari said: ‘Leave it tonight.’

The next day some other businessmen came and requested to buy it for ten thousand dirhams, so Imam Bukhari told them:

إني نويت البارحة أن أدفع [إلى الذين طلبوا أمس بما طلبوا أول مرة فدفعها] إليهم بما طلبوا- يعني الذين طلبوا أول مرة- ودفع إليهم بربح خمسة آلاف درهم، وَقَالَ: لا أحب أن أنقض نيتي

‘Indeed I had made the intention to sell it to those who came yesterday and decided to pay me five thousand dirhams and I do not love to change my intention.’

- Quoted by Khateeb Baghdadi in Tarikh Baghdad 2/12

http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-23764/page-440

Comment

• HUMILITY/JUSTICE OF UMAR RA WHEN FAMINE STRUCK MADINAH:

When a famine struck Madinah during the reign of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), he swore that he would not eat ghee, yogurt or milk until all the people could afford to have these things. Then some ghee and yogurt reached the marketplace and a slave bought them for 'Umar for forty (dirhams). He came to 'Umar and said:

يا أمير المؤمنين ، قد أبر اللَّه يمينك وعظم أجرك ، قدم السوق وطب من لبن وعكة من سمن ، فابتعتهما بأربعين

"0' Commander of the Faithful, Allah has fulfilled your oath and made your reward great. Some ghee and yogurt came to the marketplace and I bought them for you for forty (dirhams)." 'Umar said,

أغليت بهما فتصدق بهما ، فإني أكره أن آكل إسرافا

"You paid too much for them. Give them in charity, for I do not like to eat in an extravagant manner." And 'Umar said,
                                كيف يعنيني شأن الرعية إذا لم يمسسني ما مسهم ؟

"How can I be concerned for the people if I do not suffer what they suffer?"

- Tarikh al Tabari 2/508

http://islamport.com/w/tkh/Web/2893/1071.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X