No announcement yet.

Beautiful gems from some our Salaf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMAR RA DIDN'T EAT FOOD WHEN SERVANTS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO EAT!

It was narrated that Ibn 'Abbas said: 'Umar ibn al-Khattab came for Hajj, and Safwan ibn Umayyah made food for him. They brought a vessel that was carried by four men. The food was placed before the people for them to eat, and the servants remained standing. 'Umar said:

أترغبونه عنهم؟

"Don't you want them to eat with you?" Sufiyan ibn 'Abdullah said:

لا والله يا أمير المؤمنين، ولكنا نستأثر عليهم

'No, by Allah, 0' Commander of the Faithful. We want to keep this food for ourselves." 'Umar became very angry and said:

ما لقوم يستأثرون على خدامهم، فعل الله بهم وفعل

"Who are these people who give themselves precedence over their servants? May Allah punish them!" Then he said to the servants:

"SIT DOWN AND EAT." SO THE SERVANTS SAT DOWN AND ATE, AND 'UMAR DID NOT EAT.''

- Quoted by Ibn Jawzi in Manaqib Ameerul Mu'mineen Umar ibn Khattab pg, 95

Comment

• UMAR RA'S LETTER TO AMR IBN AL-AS CONDEMNING INEQUALITY IN PUNISHING HIS OWN SON:

"From the slave of Allah 'Umar the Commander of the Faithful to Ibn al-'As. I am amazed at you, 0' son of al-'As and your audacity towards me in doing something other than what I told you to do. I gave you precedence over the people of Badr who are better than you, and I chose you so that you would do what I tell you to do. But you have betrayed me and sunk to this low level. I think that the only thing I can do is to dismiss you. You beat 'Abdur-Rahman in your house, and you know that this is against my instructions. 'Abdur-Rahman is just one of your people, so do with him what you would do with any other Muslim. But probably you thought that he is the son of the caliph (Umar ibn Khattab), when you know that I accept no compromise for any of the people when it comes to carrying out the hadd punishments prescribed by Allah. When this letter of mine reaches you, send him wearing a cloak on a mount so that he will realize how bad his action was."

- Quoted by ibn Asakir in Tarikh Damishq, no. 47144

http://library.islamweb.net/hadith/d...7655&hid=47144

Comment

• Sa'id ibn Abi Burda said:

"I heard my father say that Ibn 'Umar saw a Yemeni man going around the Kaa'ba while carrying his mother on his back, saying, 'I am your humble camel. If her mount is frightened, I am not frightened.'

Then he asked, 'Ibn 'Umar? Do you think that I have repaid her?'

He replied,

'No, not even for a single contraction (pain she had suffered to deliver you).'

- Imam Bukhari in Al-Adab Al-Mufrad, no. 11; Classed as Saheeh by al Albani.

Comment

• The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

أحب الناس إلى الله أنفعهم و أحب الأعمال إلى الله عز و جل سرور تدخله على مسلم أو تكشف عنه كربة أو تقضي عنه دينا أو تطرد عنه جوعا و لأن أمشي مع أخي المسلم في حاجة أحب إلي من أن أعتكف في المسجد شهرا و من كف غضبه ستر الله عورته و من كظم غيظا و لو شاء أن يمضيه أمضاه ملأ الله قلبه رضى يوم القيامة و من مشى مع أخيه المسلم في حاجته حتى يثبتها له أثبت الله تعالى قدمه يوم تزل الأقدام و إن سوء الخلق ليفسد العمل كما يفسد الخل العسل

“The most beloved of people to Allah is he who brings most benefit to people, and the most beloved of deeds to Allah the Mighty, the Magnificent, is that you bring happiness to a fellow Muslim, or relieve him of distress, or pay off his debt or stave away hunger from him. It is more beloved to me that I walk with my brother Muslim in his time of need than I stay secluded in the mosque for a month.Whoever holds back his anger, Allah will cover his faults and whoever suppresses his fury while being able to execute it, Allah will fill his heart with satisfaction on the day of judgement. Whoever walks with his brother Muslim in need until he establishes that for him, Allah will establish his feet firmly on the day when all feet shall slip. Indeed, bad character ruins deeds just as vinegar ruins honey."

- Saheeh al Jaami 1/97, no. 176

Comment

• Abdul-Haqq al-Shibli said:

اعلم انه كلما عظم قدر الرجل في الدنيا صغر هناك ، و كلما كثر جاهه في الدنيا قل هناك ، الا من كان في الدنيا شعاره التقوي و طريقه المثلي

Know that a person who is more valued in this world would have less value in hereafter, and a person who is less valued in this world would have more value in hereafter except that person who was a symbol of piety in this world and his way (of life) was excellent.

- Al Aqabah fi Dhikr al Mawt 1/206

https://uqu.edu.sa/lib/ar/94029

Comment

• Hasan Basri (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

Rewards lies in two things:

الخير في هذين : الاخذ بما امر الله ، و النهي عما نهی الله عنه

1. Accepting and implementing whatever is commanded by Allah.
              2. Rejecting and stepping away from whatever is forbidden by Allah.

- Kitab al Wara by Ibn Abi Dunya, no. 7

Comment

• Sufyaan Thawri (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

ياتی علي الناس زمان تموت فيه القلوب و تحيي فيه الابدان

There will come a time when bodies would be living but hearts would be dead.

- Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya, no. 226

Comment

• Wahb ibn Munabbih (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

الايمان عريان و لباسه التقوي ، وزينته الحياء ، و ماله الفقه

Faith is naked. Taqwa is its cloth, modesty is its beauty and fiqh (understanding Islamic jurisprudence) is its wealth.

- as-siyar a'lam an-nubala 4/550

http://library.islamweb.net/newlibra...k_no=60&flag=1

Comment

• Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal said:

لا تغلو في كل شيئ حتي الحب و البغض

Do not go into extremes in everything, even in love and hatred.

- al-Furu' fi al-Fiqh al-Hanbali 5/339

http://library.islamweb.net/newlibra..._no=28&ID=3980

Comment

• ‘Abdullaah Ibn Mas’ood (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

إن من أكبر الذنب أن يقول الرجل لأخيه : اتق الله ، فيقول : عليك نفسك ، أنت تأمرني

One of the worst sins is when a man says to his brother, “Fear Allah,” and he replies, “Worry about yourself.”

- At-Tabarani in Muj'am al Kabir 9/114 no. 8587, Imam Haythami said that the narrators are trustworthy

Comment

• Abdul Rahman al-Siqilli (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

احذر ان تكون ممن يسأل الحافا و ينفق اسرافا

Do not become one of those who seek from people continuously and then spend in extravagance.

- Mu'jam al Safar, page 95

Comment

• Waqee narrated:

خَرَجْنَا مَعَ سُفْيَانَ الثَّوْرِيِّ فِي يَوْمِ عِيدٍ ، فَقَالَ : " إِنَّ أَوَّلَ مَا نَبْدَأُ بِهِ فِي يَوْمِنَا غَضُّ أَبْصَارِنَا "

We came out with Sufyan Thawri (may Allah have mercy on him) on the day of Eid and he advised us that the first thing we do in the beginning of a day is lowering our gaze.

- Kitab al Wara by Ibn Abi Dunya, no. 68

http://library.islamweb.net/hadith/d...=126735&hid=68

Comment

• Abu Darda (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

اقتصاد في سنة خير من اجتهاد في بدعة

To act according to Sunnah moderately (without much efforts) is better than worshiping in an innovated way even if it is done by putting much efforts.

- sharh usool i'tiqaad ahlus-sunnah 1/201, no. 101; Isnaad classed as saheeh by Abu Malik al Reyashi

Comment

• The Prophet (peace be upon him) said during his farewell pilgrimage:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ أَطِيعُوا رَبَّكُمْ، وَصَلُّوا خَمْسَكُمْ، وَأَدُّوا زَكَاةَ أَمْوَالِكُمْ، وَصُومُوا شَهْرَكُمْ، وَأَطِيعُوا ذَا أَمْرِكُمْ تَدْخُلُوا جَنَّةَ رَبِّكُمْ

O people, obey your Lord; perform your five daily prayers, give charity from the wealth you own, fast in the month of Ramadan. Obey the one who has authority over your affairs. If you do all of the above, you will enter the Paradise of your Lord.

- Narrated by Imam Hakim in Al Mustadrak ala as Saheehayn 1/646, no. 1741

Comment

• Giving Shukr

Imam Sufyan Ibn Uyaynah (d.216AH) رحمه الله said:

من صلى الصلوات الخمس فقد شكر الله تعالى ، ومن دعا لوالديه في أدبار الصلوات فقد شكرهما

"Whoever performs the five (daily) prayers has thus given shukr to Allah تعالى.
                                And whoever makes du'a for his parents after the (five daily) prayers has thus given shukr to them."

[Tafseer Al-Qurtubi, 14/60]

Comment

Working...
                                X