Thread: Allah on arsh
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutazili View Post
tahawi said :

تعالى عن الحدود والغايات والأركان والأعضاء والأدوات لا تحويه الجهات الستّ كسائر المبتدعات

so tahawi said that allah cannot be contained by any of the six directions ...

and " above " is one of the six directions/

there's contradiction in tahawi's views at first sight but if we use majaz to understand hos other words about being above the arsh then this is what the quran said and above here is not a direction but status.
ws
the problem with your dose of medicine is that it improperly placed "majaaz" in the wrong side of the bed. His point on Allah being "alal arsh" is not what should be made into majaaz, rather it is his point of "being contained in the six directions" that should be made into majaaz.

WHY?

because the early arab linguists and exegetes agreed that the Qur'an itself HAS NO MAJAAZ". In other words the fact that Allah said "alal arsh" is to take it as is as the early muslims relayed about the sifaat.

However, the kalaam of people can take majaaz and the view of six directions is a statement made by people, not by Allah. Thus, if we were going to even use majaaz, it would be more proper LINGUISTICALLY and THEOLOGICALLY to incorporate majaaz into his statement on the six directions more so than Allah's statement of "alal arsh"

secondly,

there is no contradiction in the articulation of at-Tahawee's creed to begin with.

Both of his statements can be understood AS IS from its apparent meaning. WHY?

because the six directions that the philosophers made mention of were
1. up
2. down
3. left
4. right
5. front
6. back

whereas "above" IS NOT a direction within the confines of the philosophical spectrum of the meaning of direction, rather it is a "state".

Thirdly, at-Tahawee constricted his creedal statement in point 38 by saying
"He is not CONFINED (bound) by the six direction"

YET affirmed Allah's literal elevation of "Aboveness" or fawqiyyah, 'uloow, etc.

In other words, at-Tahawee is saying that Allah is NOT BOUND and confined into direction and not that it negates His highness.

WHY? because we, the people of Islam and the prophetic guidance say that it is the creation that is confined and limited to a spatial direction and NOT Allah and when Allah created the creation, it would only be natural for an existent God to create another created thing that exist beneath Him and it would not befit the Majesty of Allah that He would create a creature and place the creature above Him. So it is the creation that is confined into a spatial direction whereas Allah is above and beyond such limitations.

LASTLY

There is no single person on the planet who interprets the following ayaah and hadeeth

“Do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven (Allah), will not cause the earth to sink with you, and then it should quake?
17. Or do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven (Allah), will not send against you a violent whirlwind? Then you shall know how (terrible) has been My Warning” [al-Mulk 67:16-17]
And the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Do you not trust me, when I am the trustee of the One Who is above the heaven and the news of heaven comes to me morning and evening?” Narrated by al-Bukhari (4351) and Muslim (1064). And he also said: “Show mercy to those who are on earth so that the One Who is in heaven will show mercy to you.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (no. 1924) – he said it is hasan sahih. And he also said: “When Allah created the universe, he wrote in His Book, which is with Him above the Throne: “My mercy prevails over My wrath.” Narrated by al-Bukhari (3194) and Muslim (2751).

as if what is meant here is highness in "status". the arabic language does not support this nor does any logical deduction of what is being stated factor such a far fetched interpretation for something so clear.

"I have debated with the Ash'aris
and it has become clear to me that they believe that Allah does not exist"

May Allah hasten the Muslims back to the path
that granted victory to them before.

http://islamthought.wordpress.com/

http://www.islamic-life.com/forums/