Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > Islamic Adab & Tazkiyah
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 01:57 AM

Default negative thoughts

What should we do when negative thoughts start coming? Since my childhood I have been a negative thinking person it has become my second nature. Can u tell me how can I become a mutawakkil so that my anxieties and worries go away. pl help.
I read a lot of quran but it doesnt create soothing in my heart . Initially I used to get good results but as I repeat quran days after days its effect has become dull .pl help me I wonder how people like sahabas and ibne taymia benefitted from quran but I am not able to get it
Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 AM

asalaamu alaykum waRahmatullahi waBarakaatuh

Do you know Arabic? That really helps.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 AM

yes a little bit. I can understand the quran almost 70% without translation.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 AM

asalaamu alaykum waRahmatullahi waBarakaatuh

I've made a thread in the Qur'an section called 'how to extract Quran Gems like Nouman Ali Khan', you'll love it inshaa' Allah.

www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?t=14706

www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?t=8421

Also you can download a book called - Qur'an - the Linguistic Miracle from http://LinguisticMiracle.com / http://LinguisticMiracle.blogspot.com

That will inshaa' Allah revive your joy for the Qur'an.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 AM

Bismillah:

I am not someone knowledgeable but I can talk from learning through others and sometimes personal experience:

-For heart to be guided from the Quraan(and thus soothed), one has to have Taqwa in it and as soon as one feels that the heart is not being guided from the Quraan then one must question one's level of Taqwa. If you notice that Allah SWT says that Quraan is guidance for Muttaqeen ( ذَٲلِكَ ٱلۡڪِتَـٰبُ لَا رَيۡبَ*ۛ فِيهِ*ۛ هُدً۬ى لِّلۡمُتَّقِينَ--ayah 2 of Surat'l Baqarah) and He SWT lists the characteristics of al Muttaqeen soon after and in lots of places in the Quraan. So your best first step would be to learn how to be a Muttaqi in times of ease and difficulty inshaa'Allah and adopt their qualities.
-Recite this duaa consistently with conviction and you'll see your life change bi-itnillah such that the Quraan will most definitely become the Noor of your heart:

اللهم إنى عبدك ( أمتك ) وأبن عبدك وأبن أمتك ناصيتى بيدك ، ماضاً فى حكمك ، عدل فى قضاؤك أسألك بكل أسم هو لك سميت به نفسك ، أو أنزلته فى كتابك ، أو علمته أحداً من خلقك ، أو أستأثرت به فى علم الغيب عندك أن تجعل القرآن العظيم ربيع قلبى ونور صدرى وجلاء حزنى وذهاب همى
-Recite your morning/evening adhkaar consistently, again with strong conviction such that when you start worrying you tell yourself that nothing can go wrong for I recited my adhkaar today/tonight.
-Whenever negative thinking is about to begin, say inna lilahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon and as said by Allah SWT in Surat'l Baqarah that on people who say this will be 3 benefits sent by Allah SWT: Salawat from Allah SWT, Rahmah from Allah SWT, and guidance from Allah SWT.
-Remain in Wudhu as much as possible.
-Please acquaint yourself with the Names and Attribute of Allah SWT. It will change your life. Your worries will definitely disappear.
-Strengthen your belief in Akhirah and know what awaits those who do Sabr. There are many lectures available on this if reminder is needed.
-Black spots form on our hearts from time to time. Sometimes they harden and so our hearts don't get as affected by the Quraan like they should be. Obvious solution is tawbah and protecting one's senses from accumulating filth.
-Study the Seerah of Rasulalah salalahu 'alayhi wasalam and Sahaba radiAllahu 'anhum. There's a good series called 'The Noble Life of the Prophet' and it can be found in pdf online on Kalamullah. Apply what you learn and relate to your life. Brief example: tell yourself if Allah SWT could help the believers in the Battle of Uhud with Help from Ghayb (Unseen), ie. the Angels then He can definitely help you if you rely on Him Alone.
-Ensure you're not taking away the rights of anyone, whether family and inside the home or whether outside. Fulfill your obligations with them.
-Busy yourself with good deeds so that you have no time to worry. Add physical exercise to your schedule and of course healthy eating. Have a positive and welcoming approach towards life because that'll help you work hard for your Akhirah.

~
This is a brief checklist to see what's missing and perhaps it will open your heart towards the Quraan even more inshaa'Allah and your Tawakul on Allah SWT will increase.

However in summary the biggest medicines for stopping worry for future,anxiety/regret for past,negative thinking for present is the following:
(1) Good expectations from Allah SWT such that you see something wrong happening in your life but you have this unswerving belief that it is for your own good. Why? Because Allah SWT willed it and He cannot will anything for you that is not good for you! Also, you keep on expecting positively from Allah SWT that He will take care of you because He SWT is your Wali, i.e. a Close Protecting Friend. He never ever deserts His Slaves for He SWT is overcome with Compassion to help His Slaves when they are in need.
(2) Gratitude: thankfulness in all circumstances will help you extinguish negative thinking and help you focus on all the good you have in the present. As a result you will be able to use all the resources you have today to aim better for your future whether in this dunia or Akhirah. Like it is advocated, look at those below you in this dunia. Strive to do that by visiting people who are in much more worse situation than you. I suggest just visit a local hospital and you'll be surprised how grateful you'll become in a few minutes and all that negative thinking for anything at all will stop.

And Allah SWT knows best.

I hope this helps.
Wasalamu 'alaykum warahmatullah,
-UmmS.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Some quotes which may give you and all of us some insight:

Ibn al-Qayyim (R) :

“And I was with Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah once when he prayed Fajr. He sat afterwards remembering Allah until midday, and turned to me, saying: ‘This is my nourishment. If I do not receive this nourishment, I will have no energy’, or something to this effect. And he said to me once: ‘I never leave off making dhikr except with the intention of saving up my energy to rest myself in order to prepare for more dhikr’, or something close to this in meaning.”

[From: ‘al-Wābil as-Sayyib’ pp. 39]

~

Ibn al-Qayyim (R) said in al-Waabil al-Sayyib (pp. 77), when listing the benefits of dhikr, including praying for forgiveness:

Benefit no. 61:

"Dhikr gives a person strength so that he can do with dhikr that which he cannot do without it. I saw wonders in the strength of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah in walking, speech, courage and writing. He used to write in one day what a scribe would write in a week, or more. The troops saw his amazing strength in war. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught his daughter Faatimah and ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with them) to recite tasbeeh thirty-three times every night when they went to bed, and to recite tahmeed thirty-three times, and to recite takbeer thirty-four times, when she asked him for a servant and complained to him about the hardship of grinding corn, working and serving (her family). He taught her that and said: “It is better for you than a servant.” It was said: The one who persists in doing that will find strength in his body that will make him independent of the need for a servant."
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM

JazakAllah I am so much grateful to you from core of my heart. pl make supplication for my qalb to recover I will be even more grateful to u. thanx thanx thanx for ur concern.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
JazakAllah I am so much grateful to you from core of my heart. pl make supplication for my qalb to recover I will be even more grateful to u. thanx thanx thanx for ur concern.
Alhamdolilah, jazakAllahu khayran. Please do follow everything in this thread because all what has been said is from experience.

Are you a sister?

Inshaa'Allah will make duaa for you.

For the heart, it's a constant struggle. That's why there is no direct solution, we'll have to work on it everyday.

Seems like you have exposure to brief Quraanic studies.

I would highly recommend these two books which will make you love the Quraan even more inshaa'Allah and that's personal experience talking:

(1) 'How to Approach and Understand the Quran' by Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo
(2) 'The Character of the People of Quraan' by Imam Abu Bakr Muhammad b. al-Husayn al-Ajurri, translated by Usama Hasan. The e-book can be found here.

~

A beautiful excerpt from the second book:

He, Mighty and Majestic, has said,

“Do they not then ponder the Qur’an deeply? Were it from other than Allah, they would surely have found in it much contradiction!”

[an Nisaa, 4:82]

~

Muhammad b. al-Husayn said:

"Do you not see — may Allah have mercy upon you! – your Generous Master, how He encourages His creation to ponder His Speech deeply?

Whoever ponders His Speech deeply, recognises the Lord, Mighty and Majestic; recognises the Magnificence of His Authority and Power; recognises the Magnificence of His Grace upon the Believers; and recognises what is due upon him of the obligation of worshipping Him. Thus, he imposes upon himself to adhere to the duty, is wary of that which his Generous Master has warned him against, and desires that which He has encouraged.

So whoever has these qualities when reciting the Qur’an and listening to it from others, the Qur’an is for him a Cure: thus he becomes rich without wealth, becomes honoured without relatives, and finds solace where others have anxiety. His concern when he begins reciting a surah is, “When will I be admonished by what I recite?” His objective is not, “When will I complete the surah?” Rather, his objective is, “When will I understand from Allah, Mighty and Majestic, His address? When will I restrain myself? When will I learn a lesson?” This is because the recitation of the Qur’an is an act of worship, and thus cannot be done with heedlessness, and Allah is the One who grants Capability for that."

['The Character of the People of Quraan' by Imam Abu Bakr Muhammad b. al-Husayn al-Ajurri, pp. 13]
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM

jazakAllah w khayr sister for such a wonderful advise.Indeed its a great reminder for me. I am ur brother sis.
pl make supplication for me I need your compassion.