Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > Islamic Adab & Tazkiyah
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 PM

Default Dawah an individual obligation? And Role of laymen?

As Salam Elekum wr wb,
I want to discuss a big problem going around internet. Many modern daees claims that giving Dawah is individual responsibility and most important responsibility of a Muslim. They quote a hadith that we should convey knowledge even if we know a verse. From this they claim that one doesn't have to be a scholar, student of knowledge or trained Daee but anyone can give dawah. From this many individual who have no knowledge of aqeedah, arabic, tajweed and many have not even read Quran becomes a daees.
They stop seeking necessary knowledge and go for useless stuff like scientific miracles.
They just have watched video of popular daees and they starts to give dawah based on that. What latter happened with most of them when they encounter doubt from non-muslims they comes up with weird interpretations of Islamic text, becomes hadith rejector and even apostate from Islam.

I want to discuss that
1)Is dawah a responsibility of a scholars/students or everyone?
2)what are prerequisites of giving dawah.
3)and how laymen should be involve in Dawah.

Inshallah I will post that to my blog.

JazakAllahKhair.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 PM

wa alaykum as salaam,
The hadith "Balighoo 3anee wa law ayah" "convey from me even if it's a verse" needs to be understood with the other texts about the severity of speaking about Allah without knowledge, and giving dawah upon baseerah and knowledge. So the meaning of the hadith is convey from me what you know even if it's a verse.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:29 PM

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Shaykh 'Uthaymeen gave advice as follows:

"As for the lay person, then he must not call to Allaah if he does not have knowledge.

Rather, it is essential to have knowledge, in accordance to the statement of Allaah the Most High:

قُلۡ هَـٰذِهِۦ سَبِيلِىٓ أَدۡعُوٓاْ إِلَى ٱللَّهِ*ۚ عَلَىٰ بَصِيرَةٍ

“Say: This is my path, I call unto Allaah upon sure knowledge.”

[Soorah Yoosuf 12:108]

So it is a must to call to Allaah upon knowledge.

However, if a matter is clearly known to be evil or good, then one can command it – if it is good, or prohibit it – if it is evil.

So the callers to Allaah must start with knowledge.

Whosoever calls to Allaah without knowledge, then such a person will cause greater harm than good – as is evident.

So it is obligatory upon a person to first acquire knowledge, then to give da'wah.

As for the clear evils, and that which is clearly good, then the good is enjoined and the evil prohibited.”

Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

After gaining knowledge and establishing oneself in Deen one has to follow the foot steps of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم in stages of Dawa as commanded him by Allah Azza wa Jall

Ibn Qayyim رحمه الله explains these stages as below:

“A chapter regarding the order of bringing his (صلى الله عليه وسلم) guidance regarding the Kuffār and the Munāfiqīn from the time he صلى الله عليه وسلم was sent until he met his Rabb عز وجل :

The first (verses) which his Rabb تبارك و تعالى revealed upon him was “Read in the name of your Rabb Who created,”

so He تبارك و تعالى commanded him to read it in his self and did not command him to convey it then.

Then He تبارك و تعالى revealed upon him, “O you (Muhammad) enveloped (in garments)! Arise and Warn!”

1. So He informed him with, “Read!”

2.And sent him with, “O you (Muhammad) enveloped (in garments)!”

Then He تبارك و تعالى commanded Him صلى الله عليه وسلم to warn his close kin, (after gaining knowledge and enhancing purification of body and soul.)

3.then to warn his country men,

4.then to warn whoever is near him from the Arab (people),

5.then to warn all the Arabs

6.(and) then to warn all of the ‘ālamīn (Mankind and Jinns).

Whoever wishes to do Dawa should follow the blessed foot steps of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم , otherwise he may cause greater harm than good.

http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showt...4739#post94739