Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > The Holy Quran
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Amatullah Amatullah is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 71
Default Touching Quran without wudu

Assalamu alaykum wa Rahmatullah,

The majority of the scholars say that we have to have wudu to touch the Quran; however, I came across a small booklet that says otherwise. Is there a difference in opinion concerning this?
__________________
Was-salamu alaykum,

Umm Yousif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mu’ath bin Jabal (ra) said: “ Seeking knowledge for the Sake of Allah is a khashyah (meaning directs one to fear Allah), and an act of worship; studying the knowledge is Tasbih (praising Allah); searching for it is jihad; teaching it is a sadaqah (charity) to those who do not have it; conveying it to those who deserve to learn it is Qurbah (a good deed); and knowledge is the companion and the friend when one is alone.”
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2015, 06:12 AM
The Sun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I always have to touch he quraan without wudoo

my husband warns me not to do so

I can feel it in my heart

my disablities cannot allow me to do wudoo....

fiqh has the answer
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-25-2015, 05:49 AM
Ayman bin khaled Ayman bin khaled is offline
Multaqa Fiqh Q&A
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,799
Default

Wa Alaykom Assalam,

The four Madhabs state it is not allowed. The dispute is invalid. This was detailed in previous threads in the Fiqh section, that you may would like to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah View Post
Assalamu alaykum wa Rahmatullah,

The majority of the scholars say that we have to have wudu to touch the Quran; however, I came across a small booklet that says otherwise. Is there a difference in opinion concerning this?
__________________
Seeking Knowledge & Learning Fiqh Is Only Praised When It Is For The Purpose Of Acting Upon It, Not For The Sake Of Discussions & Arguments

Why Posts Are Deleted?
[Subscribe] Oasis.of.Serenity

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2015, 07:43 PM
The Sun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Oh My Allaah

I'm not allowed to touch the quraan?

that means I'll lose more than I gain....

Khair...insha Allaah I will not disobey

astaghfirullah

I didn'`t know...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Ayman bin khaled Ayman bin khaled is offline
Multaqa Fiqh Q&A
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,799
Default

You can read the Quran from the internet or if you have it on your smartphone or tablet. The only thing you are not allowed to touch when you are not pure is the actual only Arabic Book of Quran.
__________________
Seeking Knowledge & Learning Fiqh Is Only Praised When It Is For The Purpose Of Acting Upon It, Not For The Sake Of Discussions & Arguments

Why Posts Are Deleted?
[Subscribe] Oasis.of.Serenity

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-29-2015, 09:06 PM
The Sun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

thanks I'll just wear gloves from medina or the other store insha Allaah and read!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Abu Juwayriyah Abu Juwayriyah is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 40
Default

Questioner: What is the intended meaning of this aayah: “None touch it except the purified.” Does the word al-Mutahharoon (the purified) refer to the believers or those who have ablution?

Shaykh al-Albaanee: The intended meaning of it is neither this nor that. Rather it refers to the angels and it is a statement from Allaah the Mighty and Majestic concerning the angels; and it does not refer to this Qur’aan [in our midst]. It refers to that which is in the Preserved Tablet. So none can touch the mus-haf, which is in the Preserved Tablet except the purified and they are the angels brought near [to Allaah]…

As regards the mus-haf that is in our midst [today], it can be touched by the righteous and the evil doer, the believer and the disbeliever. Therefore, our Lord is not referring to mankind absolutely regardless of whether they are righteous or evil doers. Rather, what He meant, as we have stated, is the angels….

There are narrations from some of the Companions that they used to avoid touching the Qur’aan without ablution. This action of theirs indicates that what is best for someone who intends to touch the Qur’aan or read the Qur’aan [is to perform ablution]. However, to assert that it is prohibited for a woman who is not in the state of purity, not to speak of a man, to touch the Qur’aan, then there is no proof for that at all.

Source: Silsilah al-Huda wan-Noor, Tape 001, fatwa no. 08
http://al-atharee.blogspot.com/2015/...-ablution.html
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2015, 08:22 AM
abuhamna abuhamna is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 108
Lightbulb

Sheikul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah has refuted this point raised by Sh Albani since this point was initially raised by Ibn Hazm.
Sheikul Islaam although agrees to the fact that angels are intended here, he(rahimahullah) asserts that what is being talked about in this Aya is about the Quran in the Lawhul-Mahfoodh(Presereved Tablet). He(rahimahullah) argues that if angels give such a respect we Muslims are obligated to give the similiar right to the Quran.

As for touching the Mushaf with a cover/gloves etc and reciting from it, many later scholars have permitted it. However, the scholars/fuqaha of the past when they permitted touching the Mushaf with a cover/gloves, it was for the purpose of moving Mushaf from one place to other, or placing it in safe place etc. It was not for the purpose of reciting or teaching from it.
Allah knows best.
Let me know if there is a different angle to this.

Wabarakallaahufeekum
Abu Hamna
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Abu Juwayriyah Abu Juwayriyah is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 40
Default

Jazaakallahu khayran for your comment. The Issue has to do with proofs. Where is the authentic proof that prohibits a person without ablution from touching the Qur'aan? Note that the statement of a scholar is not a proof against another scholar except with valid proof. I would be glad to see clear proofs from the Qur'aan and authentic hadeeth that support the prohibition.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2015, 08:01 AM
Ayman bin khaled Ayman bin khaled is offline
Multaqa Fiqh Q&A
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,799
Default

This statement what made the Muslims ruined today! It is not about proofs but rather about understanding proofs and general principles according to established principles, rules and fundamentals concluded from and based on the Quran and Sunnah. If it is about presenting proof, google will be the Imam of our time.

To learn more about this particular issue, please see: http://ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showpost....5&postcount=25 and download the file in the post as it covered the topic with good details.

Baraka Allahu feekum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Juwayriyah View Post
The Issue has to do with proofs. Where is the authentic proof that prohibits a person without ablution from touching the Qur'aan?...
__________________
Seeking Knowledge & Learning Fiqh Is Only Praised When It Is For The Purpose Of Acting Upon It, Not For The Sake Of Discussions & Arguments

Why Posts Are Deleted?
[Subscribe] Oasis.of.Serenity

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Umm Sulaym Umm Sulaym is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuhamna View Post
Sheikul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah has refuted this point raised by Sh Albani since this point was initially raised by Ibn Hazm.
Sheikul Islaam although agrees to the fact that angels are intended here, he(rahimahullah) asserts that what is being talked about in this Aya is about the Quran in the Lawhul-Mahfoodh(Presereved Tablet). He(rahimahullah) argues that if angels give such a respect we Muslims are obligated to give the similiar right to the Quran.

As for touching the Mushaf with a cover/gloves etc and reciting from it, many later scholars have permitted it. However, the scholars/fuqaha of the past when they permitted touching the Mushaf with a cover/gloves, it was for the purpose of moving Mushaf from one place to other, or placing it in safe place etc. It was not for the purpose of reciting or teaching from it.
Allah knows best.
Let me know if there is a different angle to this.

Wabarakallaahufeekum
Abu Hamna
Asalamoalaykum, please clarify what you mean by that with evidence from those scholars you are talking about. I've never come across that, i.e. the fact that some scholars okayed using gloves just for moving the musHaf and not for teaching from it. JazakAllah khayr.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Abu Juwayriyah Abu Juwayriyah is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 40
Default

Thanks for your contribution akhee Aymaan. May Allaah reward you for your efforts. However I think it would have been better for you to have provided the proofs or link to the proof as you have done instead of making baseless and unguarded statement that shouldnt emanate from a student of knowledge like you. If you cannot understand the simple request I made, how then will you be able to understand the proofs you claim to have? There should be mutual respect for one another in forums like this. My advice to you is that you should always ponder over your comment before posting it. We are all aware that there is khilaaf among the ulamaa on this issue. So there is no need for insult and abuses because it is only people who are devoid of ideas and proofs resort to it whenever they are found wanting in issues like this. May Allaah overlook our shortcomings.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Ayman bin khaled Ayman bin khaled is offline
Multaqa Fiqh Q&A
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,799
Default

No, there is no khilaaf on this issue! The fact there is one scholar adopted a different view does not make his view a valid one since there is Ijmaa. Please refer to the link I posted where you can download a document containing all the proofs you like, and search for a thread about Dhaheri in the Fiqh section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Juwayriyah View Post
We are all aware that there is khilaaf among the ulamaa on this issue.
__________________
Seeking Knowledge & Learning Fiqh Is Only Praised When It Is For The Purpose Of Acting Upon It, Not For The Sake Of Discussions & Arguments

Why Posts Are Deleted?
[Subscribe] Oasis.of.Serenity

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-07-2015, 04:04 PM
abuhamna abuhamna is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 108
Thumbs up

A praiseworthy article on this issue in Arabic:

http://www.alukah.net/publications_c...354/#_ftnref51

Wabarakallaahufeekum
Abu Hamna
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-28-2016, 10:08 PM
ZeeshanParvez ZeeshanParvez is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Juwayriyah View Post
Thanks for your contribution akhee Aymaan. May Allaah reward you for your efforts. However I think it would have been better for you to have provided the proofs or link to the proof as you have done instead of making baseless and unguarded statement that shouldnt emanate from a student of knowledge like you. If you cannot understand the simple request I made, how then will you be able to understand the proofs you claim to have? There should be mutual respect for one another in forums like this. My advice to you is that you should always ponder over your comment before posting it. We are all aware that there is khilaaf among the ulamaa on this issue. So there is no need for insult and abuses because it is only people who are devoid of ideas and proofs resort to it whenever they are found wanting in issues like this. May Allaah overlook our shortcomings.
Agreed.


والذين قالوا بجواز مس المصحف للمحدث ، ولم يشترطوا الطهارة من الحدث لمسِّه - وهم الظاهرية - استدلوا بحديث ابن عباس الذي فيه أن النبي كتب كتاباً إلى هرقل عظيم الروم ، وفيه : يَاأَهْلَ الْـكِتَابِ تَعَالَوْا إِلَى كَلِمَةٍ سَوَآءٍ بَيْنَنَا وَبَيْنَكُمْ الآية( 3) [ آل عمران : 64 ] ، واستدلوا أيضاً بحديث : إن المؤمن لاينجس ( 4) .


Well, for starters it is the Zaahiriyyah school of thought which is of the opinion that a person can touch the Qur'aan without al-Tahaarah. Their evidence is the Hadith of Ibn Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him) the Prophet wrote a letter to Heraclius. I think you are aware of the evidence and can read the Hadith here.

They also use as evidence the Hadith that the believer does not become impure.


The majority of scholars from the four Madhabs, as already stated, are of the opinion that you have to be in the state of Wudoo. They have used as evidence the Verse

None touch it except the purified.

[Qur'aan 56:79]

And they have used as evidence as what was found in the letter of the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) to عمرو بن حزم

وبما ورد في كتاب النبي لعمرو بن حزم : أن لايمس القرآن إلاَّ طاهر (2 ) فقالوا : إن الآية - وإن لم تكن صريحة في الدلالة على المراد - تدل على أنه لايمس القرآن إلاَّ مَن كان على طهارة ؛ لأن لفظها محتمل لذلك ، ولأن حديث لايمس القرآن إلاَّ طاهر يقوي هذا الاحتمال - كما أشار إلى ذلك ابن عبدالبر في آخر كلامه السابق

The Qur'aan is not to be touched except by [a person who is] Taahir.

They say that even though the Verse is not explicit evidence, it is evidence that only the pure touch the Qur'aan. Only those who are in a state of being pure touch it because its wording contains the possibility of that meaning within it. And the Hadith that only the pure touch it strengthens this possibility.

That is why Ibn Baaz was also of the opinion that one cannot touch the Qur'aan unless in a state of purity.


جاء في الموسوعة الفقهية الكويتية : "ذهب جمهور الفقهاء من الحنفيّة والمالكيّة والشّافعيّة والحنابلة إلى أنّه يمتنع على غير المتطهّر مس جلد المصحف المتّصل , والحواشي الّتي لا كتابة فيها من أوراق المصحف , والبياض بين السطور , وكذا ما فيه من صحائف خاليةٍ من الكتابة بالكلّيّة , وذلك لأنّها تابعة للمكتوب وذهب بعض الحنفيّة والشّافعيّة إلى جواز ذلك" انتهى
.


Finally, it is advised that one be careful of claiming Ijmaa as even the Kawaiti Encyclopedia of Fiqh refrains from doing so and uses the word majority of scholars.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 PM
ibn abee bakr ibn abee bakr is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 76
Default Bismillah

From ash-Sharh al-Mumti of Ibn al-'Uthaymeen (may Allaah have Mercy on him)

http://ahledhikr.blogspot.com/2016/0...ng_25.html?m=0
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-13-2017, 06:07 AM
T4WHEED T4WHEED is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayman bin khaled View Post
This statement what made the Muslims ruined today! It is not about proofs but rather about understanding proofs and general principles according to established principles, rules and fundamentals concluded from and based on the Quran and Sunnah. If it is about presenting proof, google will be the Imam of our time.

To learn more about this particular issue, please see: http://ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showpost....5&postcount=25 and download the file in the post as it covered the topic with good details.

Baraka Allahu feekum
Salam. Just want to say what you mention is very true and relevant. Every layman thinks he/she is a scholar and can do ijtihad like the 4 imams. It's a horrible situation where people condemn each other on valid views because they go against their own 'ijtihad' and demand for proofs as if they are in a position to weigh them.

It has divided the Muslims and destroyed something that belonged to people of great knowledge and understanding.

May Allah bless you sheikh aymen.
__________________
"and the best speech is the Speech of Allah, and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (sallallhu alahi wa-sallam), and the worst of all affairs are the newly invented matters (in the religion)"
[Saheeh Muslim]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.