Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > Hadeeth Sciences & Islamic History
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Default Fath Ul Bari Translation

Just wanted to let everyone know theres a few brothers working on translating Fath Ul Bari, the explanation of sahih ul-Bukhari to english. Please follow along at bukhariexplanation.wordpress.com

Any questions or comments please let me know.

Salamu Alaikum
Old 11-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Really?
Mashallah !
Thats Great News !
I Have Been Waiting For Years For It And I Even E-Mailed Darussalam And Asked Them To Translate It !
Old 11-09-2010, 02:19 PM

Default Fath Ul Bari

Please follow along with us, if you do so by reading the explanation of 1 hadith a day, you will have read the entire explanation by the time we finish, bi ithn illah.
please inform others, and make dua for us.

Barak Allahu Fekum
Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM

As'alaamu Alaykum,

That is a phenomenal project and I pray Allah blesses them in it's running and rewards abundantly. I surely will be trying to keep up with it as much as possible Insha Allah.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM

بسم الله
والحمد لله
والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله
والسلام عليكم ورحمة الله

I ask Allah ta'ala to bless this tremendous project. My beloved brother why don't you make it a print? It would be much more beneficial and you could reach lots of people. Look for a publisher and let them give you a bunch of translators more.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Default bukhari explanation

Jazak Allahu Khair Abu Salaf,

We hope to do so in the near future, but we wanted to get started this way since its easy and can provide immediate benefit.

Barak Allahu Fekum
Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 AM

Who Are The Brothers?Do They Have A Background In Knowledge?Are You Going To Publish It Once Its Finished?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Moderator of Aqeedah Forum

wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullah

Barakallahu feekum, this is good news, may Allah reward you greatly and make it easy for you.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:58 AM

Default Fath Ul Bari

Salamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah,

It is a group of brothers working on the project, amongst them is a student from the Islamic University in Medina and others who currently study at Al-Azhar and have spent periods of time studying with some of the scholars from Ahl As-Sunnah in Egypt.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM

My teacher once told me some books are meant to be left untranslated. only and only read in Arabic, and Fathul Bari is from that category. Only senior student of knowledge read this book because highly delicate subject in rijal al-hadits, ilal, etc in Al-Fath which is no use for the masses. wallahu a'lam

I pray for the success for this project
Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad bin Ismail View Post
My teacher once told me some books are meant to be left untranslated. only and only read in Arabic, and Fathul Bari is from that category. Only senior student of knowledge read this book because highly delicate subject in rijal al-hadits, ilal, etc in Al-Fath which is no use for the masses. wallahu a'lam

It has been fully translated into malay.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:42 PM

May Allah reward the brothers for the effort and time they are being spent on this and may this be an Amal that would lead them to Paradise.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 AM

As-salamu 'alaikum,

Quote:

The translators seem aware of that issue as they wrote this:

Quote:
"We will exclude anything that we deem irrelevant for the English reader, and beginner level student of knowledge such as in-depth discussion of language related issues, or issues surrounding the narrators, etc"
Source: http://bukhariexplanation.wordpress....e-translaters/

"As for the salafi methodology, it is to understand the Quran and Sunnah in the same way they were understood by the righteous earlier generations (as-Salaf as-Salih). That methodology is pure and infallible, yet that does not apply to every group or person who claims to follow it. May Allah guide us all and He knows best." - Shaykh Dr. Hatem al-Haj
Old 11-11-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abumuadh View Post
It has been fully translated into malay.
It has been fully translated too in Indonesian
Old 11-14-2010, 04:36 PM

What benefit is Fathul Bari in English going to bring to the Ummah?

I would like to know. I would also like to know the benefits of Fathul Bari in Malay and Indonesian.

Edit: I just saw this:

We will be translating the meaning of the explanation rather than translating the explanation verbatim.
We will exclude anything that we deem irrelevant for the English reader, and beginner level student of knowledge such as in-depth discussion of language related issues, or issues surrounding the narrators, etc
Any narrations that Ibn Hajar himself classifies as weak will be removed from the translation.
All text from Sahih Bukhari will appear in yellow, while explanation of Ibn Hajar will appear in gray.
We will rely on Sahih International for translations of the Holy Quran.
We will rely on M. Muhsin Khan’s translation of the actual hadith in Bukhari, to facilitate the meaning for the reader.
Any information that we deem relevant for the reader to understand the explanation of the hadith that we add, not included in the author’s explanation, will be added as a footnote.
Any questions surrounding the explanations of the hadith will be presented to the scholars in Egypt or Saudi Arabia, and answers will either be posted on the wordpress, or emailed back to the questioner.

If that is the case, calling it a 'translation' is not good. Please consider 'selected extracts rendered into English'.

I also don't understand why you have to rely on M. Muhsin Khan’s translation of the Saheeh when you are translating the much greater Fathul Bari! Also, M. Muhsin Khan’s translation is not complete; what about those Hadith that M. Muhsin Khan did not translate? What would you do there?

May I also ask what the level of the students is who are on this project? Beginners? In Faculty? Masters? PhD?

because returning to the truth is better than remaining in falsehood,
and the one who remains in falsehood will increase only in remoteness from the truth

(29/471, Tadheeb 'l-Kamal)
Old 11-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
What benefit is Fathul Bari in English going to bring to the Ummah
Let Me Make A Wild Guess,Your Native Language Is Arabic And Not English,Is it?
it would be of huge benefits which an arabic speaker cannot even conceive,first of all,it will put out all those deviant groups in defensive positions who teach or read Sahih Bukhari like barelwis,secondly,ignorant like me will stop troubling students of knowledge like you for every single doubt we have regarding the narrations in bukhari(Smile),thirdly,you would sit back and relax while you read bukhari knowing there is an explanation of this book by one of the greatest scholars in islam,
Quote:
If that is the case, calling it a 'translation' is not good. Please consider 'selected extracts rendered into English'
Calling it translation is the standard form,or else,why does darussalam sell "Tafseer Ibn Katheer" while the name of the book in arabic is I guess Al-Misbahul Munir Fee Tahdhib Tafsir Ibn Kathir
Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 AM

Default Chapter: Loving the Ansaar

Chapter: Loving the Ansaar is a sign of eemaan

Abu Al-Waleed said that Shu’ba informed us from ‘Abdullah Ibn ‘Abdullah Ibn Jabir that he heard Anas say that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said "Love for the Ansar is a sign of eemaan (faith) and hatred for the Ansaar is a sign of hypocrisy."

Ibn Hajar’s explanation

This is similar to the statement in the last narration, “and he loves him only for Allah's sake.” The love of the Ansaar is also love for the sake of Allah, as they are the ones who aided Allah’s religion, so loving them falls into the generality of the statement, “and he loves him only for Allah's sake”. The reason it was mentioned specifically here was to show its particular importance.

His saying, “is a sign of eemaan”

Abu Al-Baqaa’ Al-‘Akbare said according to the language rules it means, “Loving the Ansaar is eemaan”, or it is the purpose of eemaan. However, this understanding is doubtful because eemaan would then be restricted to loving the Ansaar which is untrue.

-If it is said that the original narration also confines eemaan to loving the Ansaar and the author (Bukhari) himself recorded in the chapter ‘Virtues of the Anssar’, the narration of Al-Bara’ Ibn ‘Aazib, “None except a believer loves the Ansaar”.

The answer is that the restriction can be used (in the Arabic language) as an overstatement to show importance or it may be an actual restriction. The end result is that only a true believer loves the Ansaar, however this does not completely negate eemaan from a person who doesn’t love the Ansaar while it can be understood that a disbeliever does not love the Ansaar.

-If it is asked, is a person who hates them (the Ansaar) considered a hypocrite even if he believes (in Islam)?

The answer is that according to the wording (of the hadith) this would seem to be true, although that was not the objective. We may conclude that hating them based upon the fact that they aided and supported the messenger of Allah is definitely hypocrisy, as is also understood from the addition recorded by Abu Nu’aym in ‘Al-Mustakhraj’ from the narration of Al-Bara` Ibn ‘Aazib, “Whoever loves the Ansaar loves them because of his love for me, and whoever hates the Ansar does so because of his hate for me.”
Muslim narrated from the narration of Abu Sa’eed, “A man who believes in Allah and the last day does not hate the Ansaar”, and Imam Ahmad recorded similarly, “Love of the Ansaar is eemaan and hating them is hypocrisy.” It may also be said that the literal meaning was not intended, otherwise kufr (disbelief) would have been referred to (rather than hypocrisy) since it is the opposite of eemaan. The fact that ‘hypocrisy’ was used indicates that the advice was being given to those who exhibit eemaan outwardly (while the inward may be different), even though kufr is worse than that.

His saying, “The Ansaar”

Ansaar is the plural of the word (ناصر) which means supporter; technically it means the supporters of the messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم referring to the tribes of Aws and Khazraj. These two tribes were previously known as Banee Qayla, the mother of the two tribes, until the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم named them Al-Ansaar, and they became commonly known as such. This great title was given to them because of the effort they put forth in accommodating the messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم and those with him, at a time when no other tribes did so. They aided and supported Allah’s messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم with both money and effort, often times preferring them (the Muhajiroon or immigrants) over themselves. This caused hostility to build towards them from Arabs and non-Arabs alike, until it reached outright hatred and envy due to their preference and virtue (with the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم). In light of this, hating them became warned against and considered from nifaaq, while loving them became a virtue and a part of eemaan in tribute to their high merit and righteous actions.

The individual merit and virtue of each particular person from the Ansaar is in accordance to that which he put forward. Muslim recorded from ‘Ali that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said to the Ansaar, “None loves you but a believer and none hates you except a hypocrite.” This also generally applies to all of the Prophet’s companions due to their honorable status in the religion.

Al-Qurtubi said, “With regards to the battles waged amongst themselves (the believers), the hatred that may have been felt towards the other does not fall into the category of hate mentioned here. Those battles were waged during a state of emergency, and thus none ruled that the other was a hypocrite. The situation (of the wars waged) falls into the category of one who strives to reach a ruling in the religion, he who was correct received two rewards, while the one who erred received one reward.”
Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 PM

Could someone provide an explanation of this narration, from the last half of Ibn Hajar's commentary of it?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Books likr fath al-bari should never be open to layman. Teachers at jamia madina warn their students from reading certains books such as al-muhala of ibn Hazm.
Their will come leaders who will not follow my guidance and not follow my Sunnah. Their will be among them men who will have hearts of devils in the bodies of humans. He (the companion of the prophet) asked, "what shall I do, O messenger of Allah, if I reach that?" He replied, "you should hear and obey the ruler even if he flogs your back and takes your wealth, then still hear and obey."
(Saheeh Muslim)

HANBALI FIQH MOVEMENT
Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:

your teacher was right. That is like translating al-Mughni.

Moreover, the brothers are not translating the entire work, but the relevant aspects beneficial to the english audience. Thus Iwould agree with Harris Hamaam that the title should be changed to somethign like "selected extracts of beneficial points in fath al-bari" instead of "translation".

Likewise Muhsin Khan has a deficiency in relaying the material in english and it would be more proper to explain the entirety of the hadeeth over as opposed to using his translation..

May Allah aid the people involved and may it be of benefit to the Muslims, I just hope these considerations are taken to account so as to put people in place by checking them and letting them know that they are not going to able to claim the matle of being a student of knowledge by merely reading the fath.

asalamu alaikum

"I have debated with the Ash'aris
and it has become clear to me that they believe that Allah does not exist"

May Allah hasten the Muslims back to the path
that granted victory to them before.

http://islamthought.wordpress.com/

http://www.islamic-life.com/forums/