Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > 'Aqeedah & Refutation of Deviant Sects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2009, 04:13 PM

Default Did the prophet see Allah?

Did the prophet see Allah in the night of siraj wa miraj?

And were the sa7aba of different opinions?

I found this:

Quote:
Ibn al-Qayyim har selv skrevet i Zad al-Ma`ad at:
The Companions differed whether the Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- actually saw his Lord that night [of isra' and mi`raj] or not. It is authentically narrated from Ibn `Abbas that the Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- saw his Lord.
Barakallah fiikom
Old 01-01-2009, 05:41 PM

asalaam alaikum

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 93 [tawhid], Number 477:
Narrated Masruq:
'Aisha said, "If anyone tells you that Muhammad has seen his Lord, he is a liar, for Allah says: 'No vision can grasp Him.' (6.103) And if anyone tells you that Muhammad has seen the Unseen, he is a liar, for Allah says: "None has the knowledge of the Unseen but Allah."
http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/c...i/093.sbt.html

also read;

can we see Allah?

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/331/

i've read that if the sahabah differ on something, then that means its a valid difference of opinion and won't make you a kafir for accepting any of the views. Allahu a'lam.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM

ws wr wb

Barakallah fiik (smile)
Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 PM

I've read the same from Abdullah ibn Abbas and this was the position of Imam Ahmad as mentioned in his Usool ul-Sunnah.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 AM

Is it not possible to reconcile some of these differences by saying that those reports that deny the Prophet’s (sallahu alayhi wa sallam) vision of Allah are referring to vision with the eyes in this world and those reports saying he (sallahu alayhi wa sallam) did see Allah Almighty are about seeing Him during the Mi’raj (which is beyond the confines of this world) or they mean vision with the heart? Allah knows best.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:39 PM

Salamz, I read that its not referring to seeing him with the eyes but seeing him with the heart. Could someone explain this further inshaAllah?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 PM

The Sahabah never differed in any issue of 'Aqeedah according to some scholars:

Did prophet Muhammad (pbuh) directly see Allah almighty,on the day he saw Heaven,Hell, etc?
if so,please send me evidance of this from the Quran Hadith.

Praise be to Allaah.

Most of the Sahaabah were of the view that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not see Allaah with his eyes on the night of the Miraaj.

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “Whoever told you that Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw his Lord was lying. He said that no vision can grasp him [cf. al-An’aam 6:103]…”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Tawheed, 6832).

It was narrated that Abu Dharr said: “I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), ‘Did you see your Lord?’ He said, ‘ He is veiled by Light, how could I see Him.’” (Narrated by Muslim, al-Eeman, 261).

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ ‘The (Prophet’s) heart belied not what he saw, and indeed he saw Him at a second descent.’ [al-Najm 53:11-12] (This means that) he saw Him twice with his heart.” (Narrated by Muslim, al-Eemaan, 258).

Ibn al-Qayyim said: “ ‘Uthmaan ibn Sa’eed al-Daarimi said in his book al-Ru’yah that there was consensus among the Sahaabah that he [the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)] did not see his Lord on the night of the Mi’raaj. Some of them excluded Ibn ‘Abbaas and said that he was not one of those who said that. Our Shaykh says that this does not go against the facts, for Ibn ‘Abbaas did not say that he saw Him with the eyes in his head, and Ahmad relied upon this in one of the two reports narrated from him, where he says that he saw Him but he did not say that that was with the eyes in his head. The wording used by Ahmad is the same as that used by Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both). What indicates that what our Shaykh said about the meaning of the hadeeth of Abu Dharr is correct is the fact that in another hadeeth he said that His veil is Light. And Allaah knows best what the Light is that is mentioned in the hadeeth of Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him) where it says, ‘I saw Light.’”

Ijtimaa’ al-Juyoosh al-Islamiyyah, vol. 1, p. 12

Shaykh al-Islam (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Chapter: with regard to seeing Allaah, what was proven in al-Saheeh from Ibn ‘Abbaas is that he said: ‘Muhammad saw his Lord with his heart twice, and ‘Aa’ishah denied that he had seen Him. Some people reconciled these two reports by saying that ‘Aa’ishah denied that he saw Him with his eyes and Ibn ‘Abbaas affirmed that he saw Him with his heart. Some versions of the report narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas refers to seeing without specifying how, and others indicate that it was with the heart. Sometimes he says that Muhammad saw his Lord, and sometimes he says that Muhammad saw Him. There is no clear statement from Ibn ‘Abbaas which says that he saw Him with his eyes. Similarly Imaam Ahmad sometimes says that he saw Him and sometimes says that he saw Him with his heart. No one whom Ahmad heard said that he saw Him with his eyes. But some of his companions heard some of the words that did not specify how, and understood from that that he had seen Him with his eyes, just as some people heard the words of Ibn ‘Abbaas that did not specify how, and understood from that that he had seen Him with his eyes. But there is nothing in the evidence to prove that he saw Him with his eyes, and that was not narrated from any of the Sahaabah. There is nothing in the Qur’aan or Sunnah to indicate that, rather the saheeh texts which indicate that he did not see Him are more definitive. In Saheeh Muslim it is narrated that Abu Dharr said: ‘I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Did you see your Lord?” He said, “He is veiled with Light, how could I see Him?”’ And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

‘Glorified (and Exalted) be He (Allaah) [above all that (evil) they associate with Him]

Who took His slave (Muhammad) for a journey by night from Al-Masjid Al-Haraam (at Makkah) to Al-Masjid Al-Aqsaa (in Jerusalem), the neighbourhood whereof We have blessed, in order that We might show him (Muhammad) of Our Ayaat (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, etc.)’

[al-Isra’ 17:1]

If he had seen Him with his own eyes, that He would have mentioned that. The same applies to the words “Will you then dispute with him (Muhammad) about what he saw [during the Mi’raaj]?” [al-Najm 53:12 – interpretation of the meaning]. If he had seen Him with his own eyes, that would have been mentioned.

It is proven from the saheeh texts and from the consensus of the salaf (first generations) of this ummah that no one can see Allaah with his eyes in this world, with the exception of the claim made by some that our Prophet Muhammad alone saw Him. But they are agreed that the believers will see Allaah on the Day of Resurrection with their own eyes just as they see the sun and the moon (in this world).”

And Allaah knows best.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, vol. 6, p. 509-510.

http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/12423/Prophet%20see%20Lord
Old 01-10-2009, 10:09 PM

As-salamu Alaykum my Siblings,

I saw myself standing before Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala about 4 years ago.

No dialogue, no speech occurred I was just standing before Him Subhanahu wa ta’ala Crying, bawling and wailing my eyes out, to the point that when I woke up I was still crying until, I then got out of bed as if headed to a destination." كأنهم إلى نصب يوفضون "

If you ask me to describe it I couldn’t say anything but “Light.”

I remember thinking to myself, the light can be brighter.

It was between ‘Asr and Ma’3rib time. And It never happened to me again, and I never saw the Prophet Salla Allahu Alayhi Wasalam in my dreams - not this one or ever - (may Allah change that, *smile*)

I Also couldn’t stop thinking about Jareer Ibn Abdilah’s hadeeth in Bukhari, Book of Tawheed; in Muslim and Abi dawood as well in different narrations:

"إنكم سترون ربكم كما ترون هذا القمر ، لا تضامون في رؤيته "

"you will see your Lord as (plainly) as you see this Moon, you will not disagree in that you did,"

I read in the explanation of the hadeeth this happened on the 14th of the month, which makes it a full moon. I couldn't get that picture out of my head after the dream, lonesome full moon on a dark night.

And I truely think this is the best explanation to the issue:

"Aa’ishah denied that he saw Him with his eyes and Ibn ‘Abbaas affirmed that he saw Him with his heart"

Because it is well known that the ultimate prize of The Hereafter for the Believers is seeing Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala as oppsed to Janna and all that's in it.

There are also narrations that Imam Ahmed - May Allah have mercy - saw His Lord many times, and had dialogues with him, and I believe Malik as well.

This and Allah knows best, Wa sallah Allahu Ala Muhammad Wasalama Taslemma,

Wasalamu alaykum Wa Rahmatulahi Wa Barakatuh

ص 109
مختصر منهاج القاصدين