Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > General Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Describe Islam in one paragraph.

As-Salam Alaykum.

I have been asked to describe Islam in one paragraph.

If you had only one paragraph to do it, how would you describe Islam to a Non-Muslim? I'm looking for input. Obviously I want to focus on Tawheed.

Jazakh-Allah khair.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Assalaamu alaikum.

Taken from part of an article on Islamlife.com

--------------------------------------------------

Question: Can you summarize the entire foundation of the religion of Islam in about a minute?

Answer: ‘Yes, I can. Please start counting the seconds.’

In one of his Hadeeths, Muhammad (r), the Prophet of Allah, mentioned all six pillars of Eman, the Islamic Faith, when he (r) said that ‘Eman’ is,

" أَنْ تُؤْمِنَ بِاللَّهِ وَمَلاَئِكَتِهِ وَكُتُبِهِ وَرُسُلِهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَتُؤْمِنَ بِالْقَدَرِ خَيْرِهِ وَشَرِّهِ "

“To believe in Allah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers and in the Last Day; and to believe in the al-Qadar (Predestination), both the good and the evil it may bring” (Muslim).

Also, Muhammad (r), the Prophet of Islam, collected all five pillars of Islam in one statement, when he said,

" بُنِيَ الإِسْلاَمُ عَلَى خَمْسٍ شَهَادَةِ أَنْ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ وَأَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ وَإِقَامِ الصَّلاَةِ وَإِيتَاءِ الزَّكَاةِ وَالْحَجِّ وَصَوْمِ رَمَضَانَ "

“Islam is based on (the following) five (principles): To testify that there is no deity (owing the right to be worshipped) but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger; to offer the (compulsory) prayers dutifully and perfectly; to pay Zakat (obligatory charity); to perform Hajj (Pilgrimage to Makkah); and to fast during [the lunar month of] Ramadan” (Bukhari and Muslim).

I am done! You see, Islam is built on the six pillars of Eman (Faith), and Faith exists in the heart, affirmation of the faith with the tongue, and performing the remaining four practical pillars of Islam. This is a brief, clear, plain and most powerful creed. These statements are found throughout the Quran and Prophetic Sunnah Traditions. These foundations, if embraced and practiced, make one a faithful believer. This is the entire foundation of the religion of Islam. Really, I am done!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:28 PM

I quoted the same hadith at the same time bro Fahim did, so, there you go.
Ibn Mas'ud –(radiallaahu 'anhu) – would advise his students, "If your intention is one of these three, do not seek knowledge: To shame the ignorant, or to argue with the Fuqahaa' (scholars), or to cause people to turn their faces in your direction. Intend with your actions and words that which is with Allaah, for indeed that which is with Allaah shall remain and everything else shall perish".

Last edited by Bint Nail; 01-08-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: repetition
Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM

asalaam alaikum

i love this description of the Qur'an bro! i heard it on a program called the Quranic Encyclopeadia (its introduction) which comes on Islam channel sometimes..

i think this is a hadith of Allah's Messenger on a description of the Qur'an;

"Allah sent down this Qur'an to command and prevent, and as a sauna to be followed and a parable. It contains your history, information about what came before you, news about what will come after you and correct judgement between you. Repetition does not wear it out and its wonders do not end. It is the Truth. It is not a jest. Whoever recites it speaks the truth. Whoever judges by it is just. Whoever argues by it wins. Whoever divides by it is equitable. Whoever acts by it is rewarded. Whoever clings to it is guided to a straight path. Allah will misguide whoever seeks guidance from other than it. Allah will destroy whoever judges by other than it. It is the Wise Remembrance, the Clear Light, the Straight Path, the Firm Rope of Allah and the Useful Healing. It is a protection for the one who clings to it and a rescue for the one who follows it. It is not crooked and so puts things straight. It does not deviate so as to be blamed. Its wonders do not cease. It does not wear out with much repetition."

(At-Tirmidhi).
Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 PM

How about the statement of the Sahabi That islam came to bring the people from the worship of created beings to the lord of all created things. And from the oppression of religion to the expansiveness of Islam.

Maybe someone can get the direct quote in arabic.
Adh-Dhahabee in Siyar A’lam An-Nubala’ reports Al-Awza’ee as saying: “We used to joke and laugh, then when we became looked at as role models I was afraid that even smiling would not be suitable for us.” And Ibn Katheer says in Al-Bidayah Wan-Nihayah: “It is binding upon the scholar to be cautious of making faults and to avoid the prohibitions, for his shortcoming is being observed, the ignorant one ready to follow it.”

فإنه من يعش منكم فسيرى اختلافاً كثيراً فعليكم بسنتي
Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Assalaamu alaikum.

Taken from part of an article by Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips at islamworld.net

---------------------------------------------------------

The first thing that one should know and clearly understand about Islam is what the word "Islam" itself means. The religion of Islam is not named after a person as in the case of Christianity which was named after Jesus Christ, Buddhism after Gotama Buddha, Confucianism after Confucius, and Marxism after Karl Marx. Nor was it named after a tribe like Judaism after the tribe of Judah and Hinduism after the Hindus. Islam is the true religion of "Allah" and as such, its name represents the central principle of Allah's "God's" religion; the total submission to the will of Allah "God". The Arabic word "Islam" means the submission or surrender of one's will to the only true god worthy of worship "Allah" and anyone who does so is termed a "Muslim", The word also implies "peace" which is the natural consequence of total submission to the will of Allah. Hence, it was not a new religion brought by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) I in Arabia in the seventh century, but only the true religion of Allah re-expressed in its final form.

Islam is the religion which was given to Adam, the first man and the first prophet of Allah, and it was the religion of all the prophets sent by Allah to mankind. The name of God's religion lslam was not decided upon by later generations of man. It was chosen by Allah Himself and clearly mentioned in His final revelation to man. In the final book of divine revelation, the Qur'aan, Allah states the following:

"This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion". (Soorah Al-Maa'idah 5:3)

"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah (God) never will It be accepted of Him" (Soorah Aal'imraan 3:85)

"Abraham was not a Jew nor Christian; but an upright Muslim." (Soorah Aal'imraan 3:67)
Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Assalaamu alaikum.

Also taken from part of an article by Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips at islamworld.net

------------------------------------------------------------

Since the total submission of one's will to Allah represents the essence of worship, the basic message of Allah's divine religion, Islam is the worship of Allah alone and the avoidance of worship directed to any person, place or thing other than Allah.Since everything other than Allah, the Creator of all things, is Allah's creation; it may be said that Islam, in essence calls man away from the worship of creation and invites him to worship only its Creator. He is the only one deserving man's worship as it is only by His will that prayers are answered. If man prays to a tree and his prayers are answered, it was not the tree which answered his prayers but Allah who allowed the circumstances prayed for to take place. One might say, "That is obvious," however, to tree-worshippers it might not be. Similarly, prayers to Jesus, Buddha, or Krishna, to Saint Christopher, or Saint Jude or even to Muhammad, are not answered by them but are answered by Allah.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM

Assalaamu alaikum.

Also taken from part of an article by Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips at islamworld.net

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is worth noting that the basic message of Islam is that Allah and His creation are distinctly different entities. Neither is Allah His creation or a part of it, nor is His creation Him or a part of Him.

This might seem obvious, but, man's worship of creation instead of the Creator is to a large degree based on ignorance of this concept. It is the belief that the essence of Allah is everywhere in His creation or that His divine being is or was present in some aspects of His creation, which has provided justification for the worship of creation though such worship may be called the worship of Allah through his creation. However, the message of Islam as brought by the prophets of Allah is to worship only Allah and to avoid the worship of his creation either directly or indirectly. In the Our'aan Allah clearly states:

"For We assuredly sent amongst every people a prophet,(with the command) worship meand avoid false gods " (Soorsh Al-Nahl 16:36)