Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > Fiqh of Ahlulhadeeth & Comparative Fiqh
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 AM

Default Evidence from Hadith that Women Must Cover Their Hair

Assalamu Alaykum,

Can someone please provide me with a list of authentic hadith that show that the woman must cover her hair? I have collected the following already, but I need more. Please contribute if you can.

Jazakum Allaahu Khayran

Hadith 1:

It was narrated that Umm Salamah said: When the words ‘draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies’ were revealed, the women of the Ansaar went out as if there were crows on their heads because of the way they covered themselves.

(Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4101; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abu Dawood.)

Hadith 2:

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam. When they came near us we would lower our jilbaabs from our heads over our faces, and when they had passed by we would uncover our faces. (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1562.)

Hadith 3:

When Allaah revealed the words (interpretation of the meaning) –
“…and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)…” [al-Noor24:31] – they tore the edges of their aprons and covered their heads with them.’

(narrated by Abu Dawood, 4102, from the hadeeth of Ibn Wahb).
Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 AM

Especially hadith that say all of their hair.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:29 AM

there is no other evidence than the above for the women to cover her hair?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:48 PM

wow that's surprising.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Akhee, I am not sure what exactly you are looking for...

I do not believe that there are many, if any, narrations that discuss covering the 'hair', rather there are narrations that discuss covering the head, and in fact, the meaning of khimar, and what it was used for is what is normally discussed...

Asking about covering the hair, after being advised that the women of the 'Ansaar and Muhaajireen all implemented this 'Aayah by covering their head and their faces, is kind of pointless...

It's like being told that that someone covered their eyes, but asking did they cover their corneas as well...

If the head and face are not visible, then how can the hair be visible...?

'Ibn Hajar discusses it in his Fath in no uncertain terms...
Old 03-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Just in case- there are also no narrations about specifically covering the elbow entirely, since that should be understood to be covered when covering what is between the wrist and the shoulder...
Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 PM

To the people who believe that hijab is mandatory but not niqab--how do we know that showing a few strands of hair is wrong? For example, many women will wear hijab and then tuck in any spare hairs that come out. So what is that based on? I'm not doubting that; I mean, we grew up with the belief that covering the hair is necessary...So I'm sure there must be something this is based upon! Surely just because nobody posted in this thread doesn't mean that such hadeeths don't exist.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 AM

I am having a discussion with someone who is not convinced that covering the hair is mandatory. I wan to provide as much evidence as possible.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Hadith no. 4

Sunan Abu Dawud

Book 32, Number 4094:

Narrated Anas ibn Malik:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) brought Fatimah a slave which he donated to her. Fatimah wore a garment which, when she covered her head, did not reach her feet, and when she covered her feet by it, that garment did not reach her head. When the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) saw her struggle, he said: There is no harm to you: Here is only your father and slave.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassam Zawadi View Post
I am having a discussion with someone who is not convinced that covering the hair is mandatory. I wan to provide as much evidence as possible.
One evidence is enough if he is true musilm; otherwise you waste your time.

all scholars agree on 'covering the hair' and their agreement 'Ejma'a' is also enough.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 AM

Imam Dhahabi (r) in his "Book of Major Sins" has narrated the follwoing Hadith :

Ali
Ibn Abi Talib (may Allah be pleased with him) said,

"1 came to the Prophet accompanied with Fatimah but We noticed him weeping vehemently. I said,
"I sacrifice you with my father and mother, Messenger of Allah. Why do you weep?" He said, "0 Ali, in the
night Journey (Isra) when I was taken up to the sky, I saw some women of my nation suffering some types
of torture. Therefore, I wept because of their sever tortures. I saw a woman who was hanging from her hair
and her brain was boiling. Another Woman was hanging from her tongue and a boiling fluid was being
poured into her mouth. Another woman whose legs were tied to her breasts and her hands to her forehead
and another who was hanging from her breasts. Another whose head was like a pig's and body like a
donkey and suffered million types of torture, and another woman who had the shape of a dog while the fire
pierced her month until it left her body from the anus and the angels were also Scourging her with lashes of
fire. Upon hearing that, Fatimah asked. O darling and the pleasure of my eyes, what were they doing to
Suffer such torture? Then the Prophet said;
O daughter, as for the woman who was hanged from hair, she
would not cover her hair from men. The woman who was hanged from her tongue used to bring harm to
her husband; the one who was hanged from her breasts cumulated her husband's bed. The woman whose
legs were tied to her breasts and hands to forehead and suffering from serpents and scorpions would not
clean her body from major impurity or menstruation, and neglected prayer. The woman whose head was
like a pig's and had a donkey’s body was a talebearer and lair. As for the last one, she used to remind
recipients of her charity to them and was envious. O daughter, woe to her who disobeys her husband.”

The English translator of the book says the follwing regarding the hadith quoted above : "Not found"

And Allah knows best

Old 04-11-2009, 03:16 AM
Moderator of Aqeedah Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanbali View Post
To the people who believe that hijab is mandatory but not niqab--how do we know that showing a few strands of hair is wrong? For example, many women will wear hijab and then tuck in any spare hairs that come out. So what is that based on? I'm not doubting that; I mean, we grew up with the belief that covering the hair is necessary...So I'm sure there must be something this is based upon! Surely just because nobody posted in this thread doesn't mean that such hadeeths don't exist.
The ayat and hadith on hijab/khimar is enough.

And like brother Abu Najm said, covering the head is covering the hair !

Seriously bro, I am surprised at your question, what did you think hijab/khimar meant all this time for you to ask such a question?
Don't tell me you never knew what the evidence for hijab was all this time
especially the ayah on hijab.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 AM

Read Al Albaanee's (Ra) book on the issue of "The Face Veil", he explains the "Khimar".. Salaam

(By the way, Niqab is not obligatory, but it isnt "Culture" as some say)