Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > 'Aqeedah & Refutation of Deviant Sects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Default Abu Talib - a Muslim or not?

Asalaam alaikum

I wanted to know did Abu Talib(uncle of Prophet Muhammad PBUH) die as a Muslim or not? I was told by somebody that he did die as a Muslim because Abu Talib carried out the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) Nikkah - this person argues that how can a non-Muslim conduct the Nikkah of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)? Is this true?

Please can i have some evidence from Quran and Sahih Hadith to support whatever your answer may be - However, i was under the impression that although Abu Talib was generally a good person and protected the Prophet but he did not accept Islam - correct me if i'm wrong please.

I would appreciate contributions from brothers Rizwan and Ashraf ud Deen as your contributions on the other two threads have been most helpful.

JazakAllah Khair!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem,

as-Salaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah

The Online Tafsir of Ibn Kathir in explaining 28.56;

Quote:
Allah guides Whom He wills

Allah says to His Messenger : `O Muhammad:

[لاَ تَهْدِى مَنْ أَحْبَبْتَ]

(Verily, you guide not whom you like)' meaning, `the matter does not rest with you; all that you have to do is convey the Message, and Allah will guide whom He wills, and His is the ultimate wisdom,' as He says:

[لَّيْسَ عَلَيْكَ هُدَاهُمْ وَلَـكِنَّ اللَّهَ يَهْدِى مَن يَشَآءُ]

(Not upon you is their guidance, but Allah guides whom He wills.) (2:272)

[وَمَآ أَكْثَرُ النَّاسِ وَلَوْ حَرَصْتَ بِمُؤْمِنِينَ ]

(And most of mankind will not believe even if you desire it eagerly.) (12:103) This Ayah is even more specific than the following:

[إِنَّكَ لاَ تَهْدِى مَنْ أَحْبَبْتَ وَلَـكِنَّ اللَّهَ يَهْدِى مَن يَشَآءُ وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِالْمُهْتَدِينَ ]

(Verily, you guide not whom you like, but Allah guides whom He wills. And He knows best those who are the guided.) meaning: Allah knows best who deserves to be guided and who deserves to be misguided. It was recorded in the Two Sahihs that this Ayah was revealed concerning Abu Talib, the paternal uncle of the Messenger of Allah . He used to protect the Prophet, support him and stand by him. He loved the Prophet dearly, but this love was a natural love, i.e., born of kinship, not a love that was born of the fact that he was the Messenger of Allah . When he was on his deathbed, the Messenger of Allah called him to Faith and to enter Islam, but the decree overtook him and he remained a follower of disbelief, and Allah's is the complete wisdom. Az-Zuhri said: "Sa`id bin Al-Musayyib narrated to me that his father, Al-Musayyib bin Hazan Al-Makhzumi, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "When Abu Talib was dying, the Messenger of Allah came to him and found Abu Jahl bin Hisham and `Abdullah bin Abi Umayyah bin Al-Mughirah with him. The Messenger of Allah said:

«يَا عَمِّ قُلْ: لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللهُ، كَلِمَةً أُحَاجُّ لَكَ بِهَا عِنْدَ الله»

(O my uncle, say La ilaha illallah, a word which I may use as evidence in your favor before Allah [in the Hereafter].) Abu Jahl bin Hisham and `Abdullah bin Abi Umayyah said: `O Abu Talib, will you leave the religion of `Abdul-Muttalib' The Messenger of Allah kept urging him to say La ilaha illallah, and they kept saying, `Will you leave the religion of `Abdul-Muttalib' -- until, at the very end, he said that he was on the religion of `Abdul-Muttalib, and he refused to say La ilaha illallah. The Messenger of Allah said:

«وَاللهِ لَأَسْتَغْفِرَنَّ لَكَ مَا لَمْ أُنْهَ عَنْك»

(By Allah, I shall certainly seek forgiveness for you unless I am told not to.) Then Allah revealed:

[مَا كَانَ لِلنَّبِىِّ وَالَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ أَن يَسْتَغْفِرُواْ لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ وَلَوْ كَانُواْ أُوْلِى قُرْبَى]

(It is not (proper) for the Prophet and those who believe to ask Allah's forgiveness for the idolators, even though they be of kin) (9:113). And there was revealed concerning Abu Talib the Ayah,

[إِنَّكَ لاَ تَهْدِى مَنْ أَحْبَبْتَ وَلَـكِنَّ اللَّهَ يَهْدِى مَن يَشَآءُ]

(Verily, you guide not whom you like, but Allah guides whom He wills.)'' This was recorded (by Al-Bukhari and Muslim) from the Hadith of Az-Zuhri.
Is your friend a student of knowledge or not? Some things you may want to ask him are;

1.Are your sources accurate
2.Have you understood them correctly
3.If so which marriage, I guess to Khadijah
4.When was this, I guess before revelation
5.So how do you use it as evidence that he is Muslims
6.How do you reconcile it with what Imam Ibn Kathir said?

I'm not giving you a ruling, I'm not qualified, I'm just giving you questions which may help sift through random poeple's opinions and knowledge.

The link to the tafsir, http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=28&tid=39279

Allah knows best.

Br.al-Habeshi

27) Do not be happy when others make mistakes even if they appose your opinion.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Assalaamu alaikum.

Here is a Hadith in Saheeh al-Bukhari:

Volume 5, Book 58, Number 222:

Narrated Al-Abbas bin 'Abdul Muttalib:
That he said to the Prophet "You have not been of any avail to your uncle (Abu Talib) (though) by Allah, he used to protect you and used to become angry on your behalf." The Prophet said, "He is in a shallow fire, and had It not been for me, he would have been in the bottom of the (Hell) Fire."
Old 01-06-2010, 12:24 PM

It was probably a shī'ī who told you that. The shī'a believe that Abū Tālib was Muslim: in fact, I heard one of them say that they believe he was from the best of the companions.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Asalaam alaikum Abu Musa Al-Habashi

The person who told me that Abu Talib died as a Muslim describes himself as alhe Sunnah (of Bralvi tendencies i have observed)...He says it's irrelavant whether the Nikkah happened before or after the revelation because the Prophet Muhammad was always a Muslim before he even received the revelations. So this person argues there is no way that Allah will allow a kafir to conduct the Nikkah ceremony of the Prophet whether it's before or after revelation.

Jazak Allah
Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Abida View Post

The person who told me that Abu Talib died as a Muslim describes himself as alhe Sunnah (of Bralvi tendencies i have observed)...He says it's irrelavant whether the Nikkah happened before or after the revelation because the Prophet Muhammad was always a Muslim before he even received the revelations. So this person argues there is no way that Allah will allow a kafir to conduct the Nikkah ceremony of the Prophet whether it's before or after revelation.

Jazak Allah
assalwamwalikum sister, these people are often shias who are practising taqiyya , they portray themselves as sunnis, they curse hz muwavia(ra) , and bring similar arguments.

And regarding the question then the ruling that a kaafir cannot carry nikah came only after prophet(saw) received revealation.

So the reasoning that a kaafir cannot carry out nikah itself is baseless. Before we are discussing about an issues which for which the command came later, so discussing who did the nikah kaafir or muslim before the command came is senseless.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
He says it's irrelavant whether the Nikkah happened before or after the revelation because the Prophet Muhammad was always a Muslim before he even received the revelations
prophet (pbuh) married according to the rules and regulations given to him (pbuh) by Allah ta3la. what revealation did abu talib use when he was conducting the marriage of the rasul (pbuh) ?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Moderator of Aqeedah Forum

shia are not the only ones who claim that Abu Talib died a Muslim, also extreme sufis claim that too because of a certain belief they have.

Quote:
He says it's irrelavant whether the Nikkah happened before or after the revelation because the Prophet Muhammad was always a Muslim before he even received the revelations
Firstly, there was no law from Allah azza wa Jal at the time to Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wa sallam prohibiting marriage done by a disbeliever, since it was before revelation came down to him.
And the brelwis claim is not considered evidence in Islamic law, so for him to prove his claim he must bring evidence from Quran or sunnah or ijma', and in addition to that, his claim goes against authentic hadiths.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:29 PM

here is another hadees from bukhari which proves that abu talib was not a believer.

2.658:
Narrated 'Usama bin Zaid: I asked, "O Allah's Apostle! Where will you stay in Mecca? Will you stay in your house in Mecca?" He replied, "Has `Aqil left any property or house?" `Aqil along with Talib had inherited the property of Abu Talib. Jafar and `Ali did not inherit anything as they were Muslims and the other two were non−believers. `Umar bin Al−Khattab used to say, "A believer cannot inherit (anything from an) infidel." Ibn Shihab, (a sub−narrator) said, "They (`Umar and others) derived the above verdict from Allah's Statement: "Verily! those who believed and Emigrated and strove with their life And property in Allah's Cause, And those who helped (the emigrants) And gave them their places to live in, These are (all) allies to one another." (8.72)
Old 01-09-2010, 03:47 AM
aamirik

Some people have been falsely attributing towards the respectable Barelvi Muslims that they consider Abu Talib as Muslim.

The Imam of Ahlus Sunnah, Sheikh Ahmed Ridha Fadhil of Barailli (rah) decisively established that Imaan of Abu Talib is not proven, however we should remember him with respect as he helped the Prophet (Peace be upon him) in tough times and also came very close to accepting Islam. In Sahih Muslim there is a hadith present which proves that Prophet (Peace be upon him) being Mukhtar that he is, brought Abu Talib from the deepest part of hell to the shallowest part where his feet get burned due to which his head boils.

And Allah knows the best.

Wassalam
Old 01-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Moderator of Aqeedah Forum

If it is not the position of the imam of Brelwis then that is good, but I see some brelwis and other sufi sects online saying that he died a Muslim and fighting for this belief.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Um Abdullah M. View Post
If it is not the position of the imam of Brelwis then that is good, but I see some brelwis and other sufi sects online saying that he died a Muslim and fighting for this belief.
so called sheikh ul islam of barelwis , tahir ul qadri is one of them.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:28 AM
aamirik

Quote:
Originally Posted by salafees_mainstream_muslims View Post
so called sheikh ul islam of barelwis , tahir ul qadri is one of them.
Just like the so called sheikh ul Islam of Wahabiyyah i.e. Ibn Taymiyyah declared Imam Fakhr ud-din Razi (rah) as Jahimi. If considering Abu Talib a Muslim is sin then declaring a great scholar as Kafir is a far bigger sin.

Anyways, there are some reports which tend to prove that Abu Talib actually accepted Islam during his last days, and some scholars did try to prove him as Muslim. Although those ahadith are weak but still looking at the help which Abu Talib provided to Prophet (Peace be upon him) and the respect which Prophet (Peace be upon him) had for him, we should not make this issue too much disputative. I know Shi'ites are of the opinion that he was a Muslim and they use Qiyaas that he did the Nikah of Prophet (Peace be upon him) with Hadrat Khadija (ra) and Nikah from a Kafir is not valid. Anyways differences apart we should be tolerant on this opinion and not be rigid in this regard. The best thing to do is to leave the matter to Allah azza Wajjal and not ridicule Abu Talib.

Wassalam
Old 06-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jazak Allah
If you define brailwi by teaching of Ahmed Rida then anyone who believes Abu Talib was a Muslim is heretic. Ahmed Rida wrote a book proving that Abu Talib died as a Mushrik kaffir.

The ones you are calling brailwi i think they are at y*nabi forum, they have been classed as Tafdhili-Shia by the brailwis. I personelly know brailwis who revile these y*nabi folk.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM

What stupidity that argument brings!

Of course it would matter that the nikkah was before or after nabuwwah commenced because the Rasul(sallahu 'alayhi was-salaam) was always a Muslim but who was also a Muslim prior to nabuwwah? So if the nikkah was before nabuwwah which "Muslim" performed the nikkah?

Subhanullah!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Narrated Abdullah bin Al Harith bin Naufal
Abbas bin 'Abdul Muttalib said, "O Allah's Apostle! Did you benefit Abu Talib with anything as he used to protect and take care of you, and used to become angry for you?" The Prophet said, "Yes, he is in a shallow place of Fire. But for me he would have been in the lowest part of the Fire."
(Bukhari vol 8 no.227)
Old 06-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Multaqa Fiqh Q&A

Quote:
Asalaam alaikum
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Quote:
I wanted to know did Abu Talib(uncle of Prophet Muhammad PBUH) die as a Muslim or not? I was told by somebody that he did die as a Muslim because Abu Talib carried out the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) Nikkah - this person argues that how can a non-Muslim conduct the Nikkah of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)? Is this true?
This is a layperson reasoning so it has no weight esp. that it is too fragile and odd. The marriage happened before the revelation or prophethood begun. And if we to accept this kind of reasoning then we would say that the Prophet married Khadija who was not a Muslim too!!!

Quote:
Please can i have some evidence from Quran and Sahih Hadith to support whatever your answer may be - However, i was under the impression that although Abu Talib was generally a good person and protected the Prophet but he did not accept Islam - correct me if i'm wrong please.
This is what all history books mentioned that he refused embracing Islam so that Quraish do not shame him by thinking he got weak when he is about to die. Furthermore, it has been proven in Sahih Muslim that the Prophet said, "The least of punishment in hell is Abu Talib". This should be enough proof to stand against what this person claims without knowledge.

In any case, such topics bring no benefit to any Muslim so one should instead focus on important topics related to his own hereafter.

Why Posts Are Deleted?
[Subscribe] Oasis.of.Serenity

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Asalaam alaikum

wa'alaikum assalaam

This is from a discussion on shiachat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shia Encyclopedia
And Don't Forget That:-
Abu Talib recited the nikah of Prophet(s) .Abu Talib addresses the men of Quraysh, who were present at the marriage ceremony as follows:

Praise be to Allah Who made us from the seed of Abraham and progeny of
Ishmael. He granted as a Sacred house and a place of pilgrimage. He
made us to dwell in a secure sanctuary (haram), to which the fruits of
everything are brought. He made us, moreover, arbiters in men's
affairs, and blessed for us this land in which we dwell.
Then he said:

Were Muhammad (pbuh&HF), the son of my brother 'Abdullah son of Abdul
Muttalib ', to be weighed any man among the Arabs, he would excel him.
Nor would any man be comparable to him. He is peerless among men, even
though he is a man of little welath. Yet riches are only transient
possesions, and an epheramel security. He has expressed a desire for
Khadijah, and she likewise has shown interest in him. As for any bride
gift (mahr) you demand, both the part to be presented now and the one
presented at a later date - it will be of my own wealth.
Reference:
- Seerah al-Halabiyyah, vol 1 p 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlussunnah
Al-Halabi qoute it from "Abul Husain Al-Faris and other". He said in "Seerah" under the title of "marriage of Khadija bint Khuwilad ibn Asad ibn Abdul 'Uzza ibn Qussi",

وذكر أبو الحسين بن فارس وغيره أن أبا طالب خطب يومئذ فقال: الحمد لله الذي جعلنا من ذرية إبراهيم، وزرع إسماعيل، وضئضيء معدّ: أي معدنه، وعنصر مضر: أي أصله، وجعلنا حضنة بيته: أي المتكفلين بشأنه، وسوّاس حرمه: أي القائمين بخدمته، وجعله لنا بيتا محجوجا، وحرما آمنا، وجعلنا حكام الناس. ثم إن ابن أخي هذا محمد بن عبد الله لا يوزن به رجل إلا رجح به شرفا ونبلا وفضلا وعقلا، وإن كان في المال قلّ، فإن المال ظل زائل، وأمر حائل، وعارية مسترجعة، وهو والله بعد هذا له نبأ عظيم، وخطر جليل، وقد خطب إليكم رغبة في كريمتكم خديجة، وقد بذل لها من الصداق ما عاجله وآجله اثنتي عشرة أوقية ونشا: أي وهو عشرون درهما والأوقية: أربعون درهما، أي وكانت الأواقي والنش من ذهب كما قال المحب الطبري: أي فيكون جملة الصداق خمسمائة درهم شرعي. وقيل أصدقها عشرين بكرة، أي كما تقدم

Now either its proven or not it doesn't matter, because reciting Khutbah of Nikah is not from the pillars of the Nikah. Even according to Shia it is not a condition for the Marriage to be Valid. Let me go in some details.

I am qouting below from famous shia site http://www.al-islam.org from a book "Temporary Marriage in Islamic Law" by Sachiko Murata.
Following is mention...

I. The Pillars Of The Marriage Contract
Marriage has a set number of pillars, two according to the Shi'is, three according to the Malikis and Hanafis, and four according to the Hanbalis and Shafi'is. All schools agree on the first two pillars, 'formula' and 'persons'.

Lets see what are these pillars. Qouting from the book..

Quote:
A. The Formula (sigha)
Marriage is legalized by a contract ('aqd), which, like all other contracts in Islam, consists of a declaration (ijab) and an acceptance (qabul). The woman declares that she is entering into a relationship of marriage with the man, and he accepts her as his wife.

B. The Persons (mahall)
The man and woman must be free of all shar'i hindrances to their marriage, as explained below. The identity of the spouses must be clearly specified.

C. Guardianship (wilaya)
The legal guardian in the marriage contract may be the father, the father's father (Hanafi, Shafi'i, Shi'i), the executor of the father's will concerning the marriage (wasi), the governor of the town (hakim) in case of the nonexistence of the others (Hanbali), and the owner of a slave (Maliki)...........In the Shi'i and Hanafi schools the presence of the guardian is required only at the marriage contract of a girl not of age, that is, one who has not yet reached puberty (saghira), or of an incompetent or insane girl or woman of age.

D. Witnesses (Shahid)
The Shafi'i, Hanbali, and Hanafi schools hold that the presence of two witnesses is a pillar of marriage and that without their presence, the contract is invalid. [37].........The Shi'is maintain that the presence of one or more witnesses is not a pillar of the contract, so a man and woman may conclude a contract secretly if they so wish. [39]
I have qouted only necessary part. For detail one can read the book here: http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/muta/

So one can see there is NO condition that Khutba should be even recited, forget about the condition of Khateeb being a Muslim. Nikah is valid even without Khutba as proven above.
Hence in conclusion is fake and has no basis.
The fact Also remains the same that there was no revelation revealed at that time, so how come it became necessary for Nikah to be valid, specially when its not even against morality and fitrah. In fact in shi'ism one can marry even secretly. Where is the Khutba?

--*--

المشبه يعبد صنما والمعطل يعبد عدما
Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 PM

Islam does not teaches blind following of anybody. We must follow Qur'aan and Sunnah (صلی اللہ علیہ وآلہ وسلم) to be successful in Aakhirat (آخرت). Furthermore, it is not required as Muslim to debate that whether Abu Talib were died as Muslim or not.

May Allah give hidayat to all of us (Aameen).

Narrated Al-Musaiyab: When Abu Talib was in his death bed, the Prophet went to him while Abu Jahl was sitting beside him. The Prophet said, "O my uncle! Say: None has the right to be worshipped except Allah, an expression I will defend your case with, before Allah." Abu Jahl and 'Abdullah bin Umaya said, "O Abu Talib! Will you leave the religion of 'Abdul MutTalib?" So they kept on saying this to him so that the last statement he said to them (before he died) was: "I am on the religion of 'Abdul MutTalib." Then the Prophet said, " I will keep on asking for Allah's Forgiveness for you unless I am forbidden to do so." Then the following Verse was revealed:--"It is not fitting for the Prophet and the believers to ask Allah's Forgiveness for the pagans, even if they were their near relatives, after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the (hell) Fire." (9.113) The other Verse was also revealed:-- "(O Prophet!) Verily, you guide not whom you like, but Allah guides whom He will ......." (28.56) (Sahih Bukhari; Book #58, Hadith #223)

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Al-Harith bin Naufal: Abbas bin 'Abdul Muttalib said, "O Allah's Apostle! Did you benefit Abu Talib with anything as he used to protect and take care of you, and used to become angry for you?" the Prophet said, "Yes, he is in a shallow place of Fire. But for me he would have been in the lowest part of the Fire." (Sahih Bukhari; Book #73, Hadith #227)

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: I heard Allah's Apostles when his uncle, Abu Talib had been mentioned in his presence, saying, "May be my intercession will help him (Abu Talib) on the Day of Resurrection so that he may be put in a shallow place in the Fire, with Fire reaching his ankles and causing his brain to boil." (Sahih Bukhari; Book #76, Hadith #569)

It is reported on the authority of anas b. Malik that he said: We were forbidden that we should ask anything (without the genuine need) from the Holy Prophet. It, therefore, pleased us that an intelligent person from the dwellers of the desert should come and asked him (the Holy Prophet) and we should listen to it. A man from the dwellers of the desert came (to the Holy Prophet) and said: Muhammad, your messenger came to us and told us your assertion that verily Allah had sent you (as a prophet). He (the Holy Prophet) remarked: He told the truth. He (the bedouin) said: Who created the heaven? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: Allah. He (the bedouin again) said: Who created the earth? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: Allah. He (the bedouin again) said: Who raised these mountains and who created in them whatever is created there? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: Allah. Upon this he (the bedouin) remarked: By Him Who created the heaven and created the earth and raised mountains thereupon, has Allah (in fact) sent you? He (the Holy Prophet) said: Yes. He (the bedouin) said: Your messenger also told us that five prayers (had been made) obligatory for us during the day and the night. He (the Holy Prophet) remarked: He told you the truth. He (the bedouin) said: By Him Who sent you, is it Allah Who ordered you about this (i. e. prayers)? He (the Holy Prophet) said: Yes. He (the bedouin) said: Your messenger told us that Zakat had been made obligatory in our riches. He (the Holy Prophet) said. He has told the truth. He (the bedouin) said: By Him Who sent you (as a prophet), is it Allah Who ordered you about it (Zakat)? He (the Holy Prophet) said: Yes. He (the bedouin) said: Your messenger told us that it had been made obligatory for us to fast every year during the month of ramadan. He (the Holy Prophet) said: He has told the truth. He (the bedouin) said: By Him Who sent you (as a prophet), is it Allah Who ordered you about it (the fasts of ramadan)? He (the Holy Prophet) said: Yes. He (the bedouin) said: Your messenger also told us that pilgrimage (Hajj) to the House (of Ka'bah) had been made obligatory for him who is able to undertake the journey to it. He (the Holy Prophet) said: Yes. The narrator said that he (the bedouin) set off (at the conclusion of this answer, but at the time of his departure) remarked: 'By Him Who sent you with the Truth, I would neither make any addition to them nor would I diminish anything out of them. Upon this the Holy Prophet remarked: If he were true (to what he said) he must enter Paradise. (Sahih Muslim Book #001, Hadith #0009)
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 AM

These shia are truly blind.

It was before the law was revealed.

Ask them, the sahabah who were drinking Alcohol at that time, or the sahabah who didn't pray five times a day, even RASOOL ALLAH who didn't pray five times a day at that time, we're they sinning? Obviously no! B/c the law had not been revealed...same thing with the nikah.