Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > Hadeeth Sciences & Islamic History
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Default ashari or maturidi?

as salamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi, i have heard that imam ashari oder maturidi made tauba before he died (in aqida)...so now i#M not sure who of the both did this. Can anyone make it clear to me with source please...barak allahu feeekum
Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Salaam. Imam Abul Hasan Ashari made Taubah. He wrote two books for his Tauba, al-Ibaanah abd Maqalat al-Islamiyeen. They are his books and many scholars have said so even the Adhari scholar Ibn Asakir.
Their will come leaders who will not follow my guidance and not follow my Sunnah. Their will be among them men who will have hearts of devils in the bodies of humans. He (the companion of the prophet) asked, "what shall I do, O messenger of Allah, if I reach that?" He replied, "you should hear and obey the ruler even if he flogs your back and takes your wealth, then still hear and obey."
(Saheeh Muslim)

HANBALI FIQH MOVEMENT
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Salaam. Also imam Adh-Dhahabi said that he made Taubah and saw works of Abul Hasan Asharis works proving this.
Their will come leaders who will not follow my guidance and not follow my Sunnah. Their will be among them men who will have hearts of devils in the bodies of humans. He (the companion of the prophet) asked, "what shall I do, O messenger of Allah, if I reach that?" He replied, "you should hear and obey the ruler even if he flogs your back and takes your wealth, then still hear and obey."
(Saheeh Muslim)

HANBALI FIQH MOVEMENT
Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Al Ash'ari's rejection of Mutazili creed can be clearly seen in his later work which he entitled "Al Ibanah". This is one of many proofs some scholars have used to show that he moved away from Ash'ari tenents; in his book "Maqalat al-Islamiyyin", he ended with the following words when mentioning the creed of the Ahl al-Sunnah: "And with everything we've mentioned from their saying, we say too; and upon it we traverse." - And in this work he seperated the Sunnites' views from that of the Mu'tazilah and the Kullabiyyah.

Scholars after al-Ash'ari mentioned his changes in creed. Ibn Kathir wrote: "They mentioned for the Shaykh Abu'l-Hasan al-Ash'ari three conditions. The first: his state of Mu'tazilism from which he returned from. The second state: affirming the Seven Attributes of Reason, and they are the Life, the Knowledge, the Power, the Will, the Hearing, the Seeing and the Speech, and interpreting the partial [Attributes] such as the Face, Two Hands, the Foot, the Shin and similarly. The third state: affirming all of it, without how or comparison, according to what has been handed over from the Salaf, and it is the way of the Ibanah, the one which he authored as last, and which al-Baqillani explained, and which Ibn 'Asakir copied." [Tabaqat al-Shâfi'iyyah as quoted from al-Zubaydi in Ithâf al-Sâdat al-Muttaqîn 2:3]

Imam Ad-Dhahabi said: "...He was a Mu'tazilite and then repented. He agreed with the Ashâb al-Hadith in certain things wherein they opposed the Mu'tazilah, and then he agreed with the Ashâb al-Hadith in most what they say [and not in everything] and he is [as we've mentioned previously] from him; that is that he recorded their consensus on that and that he agrees with them in all of that. So he has three states: a state wherein he was a Mu'tazilite, a state wherein he was a Sunni in part but not in another, and he was [in a state] mostly in creed Sunnite - and this is what we have learned from his state. So may Allah grant him mercy and forgive him and the rest of Muslims!" [Kitab al-'Arsh no. 248/72a]

Ad-Dhahabi also wrote: "Abu'l-Hasan al-Ash'ari was first a Mu'tazilite. He took [religion] from Abu 'Ali al-Jubbâ'i, but then deserted him and refuted him and became a spokesman (mutakallim) for the Sunnah. He agreed with the Imams of Hadith in majority in what they say, and he is - from what we've noted from him that he recorded their consensus - upon that and that he agrees with them.." [Kitab al-'Uluww 2:1254]

Shaykh al Islam Ibn Taymiyyah wrote: "Abu'l-Hasan al-Ash'ari - when he reverted from Mu'tazilism - used to traverse the path of Abu Muhammad b. Kullab. A group, which is ascribed to the Sunnah and Hadith from among the Sâlimiyyah and other then them such as Abu 'Ali al-Ahwazi, begun mentioning the vices (mathâlib) of Abu'l-Hasan [al-Ash'ari] which are from the lies of the Mu'tazilah and other than them. [This was so] because al-Ash'ari exposed the contradictions of the sayings of the Mu'tazilah and its corruptness, what no other than him exposed.." [Majmu' al-Fatawa al-Kubra 5:556]

And Allah knows best.